Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2003, 02:26 AM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Hong Kong movies

Who else loves Hong Kong cinema?

It amuses me that people are so thrilled by the kung fu in the films that are made in Hollywood nowadays, when they are years and years behind that distinctive, over-the-top fight-flick style. Same goes for the gunplay and such. The Matrix was bascially a sci-fi tribute to Hong Kong filmmaking. And I'm glad Crouching Tiger finally broke the barrier and introduced people to Asian film.

For those of you who want to see Jackie Chan and Jet Li's real work, definitely check out their older stuff. And Hong Kong movies aren't just relegated to action films - even the comedies have a very distinctive brand of humour of their own.

As far as American-made films go, I'm looking forward to Kill Bill. Quentin Tarantino doing a Hong Kong movie? How could you resist that?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 02:46 AM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

All hail the Drunken Master!
Old 03-24-2003, 06:37 AM   #3
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest. There are no others.

I tend to agree that Hollyword action Kung Fu films are lame.

The only thing that made the Matrix special was Bullet Time.

I'm back in Thailand again for a little RR and just saw Dare Devil.
Lame.

I was here at the end of January and saw HERO with Jet Li. Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung, Zhang Zi, and Donnie Yuen.

The first combat scene between Li and Yuen was quite impressive.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 03-24-2003 at 06:39 AM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:25 PM   #4
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

My parents got an all-region DVD of Hero and said it was really good... I haven't had a chance to go and watch it myself, though. Damn, do I ever want to.

Speaking of a Jet Li / Donnie Yen fight, ever seen Once Upon A Time In China II?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 12:34 AM   #5
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Speaking of a Jet Li / Donnie Yen fight, ever seen Once Upon A Time In China II?
Oh, yeah!

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 01:16 PM   #6
Anglorfin
Alasailon

OH MY GOD HOW DID I EVER MISS THIS THREAD?!?!??!?!

I LOVE the old martial arts films. Unlike all the action movies of today, there was actually a bit of character developement. Nowadays its all just, "So this guy will come in and start kicking ass, then something will happen to him, then he'll kick more ass."

I like the good old "made in China" martial arts films because it's more than just a guy kicking ass though the whole thing. It's usually about struggle, and training. It shows what he must do to become the master amd defeat his enemies. It adds more character depth to see the main character evolve from a wimpy guy to a fighting master throughout the movie.

And that's my two cents for now. I have to tell Bombadillo about this.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 09:38 PM   #7
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

No need! Is this a new thread!?

Yes it is very dissapointing how stupid people are nowadays. THey love The Matrix and such, but are utterly clueless about it's roots or inspiration. I wrote a speech for English class about this, attempting to introduce some new people to classic kung fu. *scrambles around house looking for the note cards* Well, I had a quote somewhere. The Matrix directors are thrilled by kung fu! I find that amazing. Yet most people will watch about two minutes of a kung fu and laugh at it. They don't realise that the Yeun Woo-Ping, fight coreographer of The Matrix, also worked in Iron Monkey, Drunken Master, Fist of Legend, and Once Upon A Time in China, and was a mentor to the great Jackie Chan. *bows head*

Anyway, kung fu is a great thing. It agrivates me when people don't want to appreciate it.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:05 PM   #8
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
No need! Is this a new thread!?

Yes it is very dissapointing how stupid people are nowadays. THey love The Matrix and such, but are utterly clueless about it's roots or inspiration. I wrote a speech for English class about this, attempting to introduce some new people to classic kung fu. *scrambles around house looking for the note cards* Well, I had a quote somewhere. The Matrix directors are thrilled by kung fu! I find that amazing. Yet most people will watch about two minutes of a kung fu and laugh at it. They don't realise that the Yeun Woo-Ping, fight coreographer of The Matrix, also worked in Iron Monkey, Drunken Master, Fist of Legend, and Once Upon A Time in China, and was a mentor to the great Jackie Chan. *bows head*

Anyway, kung fu is a great thing. It agrivates me when people don't want to appreciate it.
Heh, I didn't know all that stuff Bombadillo. And why didn't you tell me as soon as you found out? I thought it was hilarious how you were getting so into your speech that you lifted your leg and almost did a kick without knowing you were doing it.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 06-25-2003, 08:57 PM   #9
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

does this include jackies first few movies like first strike and operation condor. i thought the fighting in operation condor was insane
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:44 PM   #10
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

First Strike wasn't one of Jackie's "first few movies", dumbass.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:58 AM   #11
Millane
The Dude

the best Hong Kong movies i have ever seen are definately the Young and Dangerous series about the triads, and i know that hollywood could never pull it off yet that is no reason to have a go at the matrix please correct me if you think different but i think that the bigger theme of the story can be traced back to philosophy rather than fighting. just my opinion though... some things are better done in Hollywood were as some are better done in Honk Kong... as ironparrot mentioned Kill Bill i will just say it will definately be a standout the fighting ive seen in that will be fantastic and Quentin Tarantino will never be a let down for plot..
Old 06-26-2003, 04:01 AM   #12
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Well, Millane it depends on how you look at it I guess. A lot of action movies nowadays are all about the fighting, but one of the greatest things in Hong Kong cinema is that there is fighting as well as philosophy. To the Chinese, it is almost unthinkable to separate the two. The first step to becoming a good fighter is having a sound mind, then the body will fall in line. Though usually Hong Kong cinema is more direct in their philosophies while the Matrix is a blockbuster movie trilogy written to captivant audiences by having an often enigmatic philosophical undertone.

Old 06-26-2003, 04:15 AM   #13
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
First Strike wasn't one of Jackie's "first few movies", dumbass.
well i dont know all his movies and those are pretty early so sorry sheeana
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 06:17 PM   #14
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I listened the the commentary of The Young Master, and the guy kept bringing up how much the learning process is involved in kung fu movies. And he kept comparing it to mainstream action in which the character learns nothing, but is practically born invincible. The Chinese value many different things that others pretty much disregard.
Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
Heh, I didn't know all that stuff Bombadillo. And why didn't you tell me as soon as you found out? I thought it was hilarious how you were getting so into your speech that you lifted your leg and almost did a kick without knowing you were doing it.
I don't think you were home. Otherwise I'm sure i would have made you read the article. They actually put the name of JACKIE CHAN in all caps, in the middle of their quote!
Yeah, it was a good speach.