Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-21-2003, 06:46 PM   #1
Elvellon
Elf Lord

A real person behind Finrod's character?

Recently I found myself wondering that if Beren and Luthien's tale was inspired upon Tolkien’s love for his wife, then would any of the characters that those two interact with be also inspired upon real people?

Would Finrod’s sacrifice be inspired upon the sacrifice of one of Tolkiens fellow soldiers during WW1? What do you think?

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 09:28 PM   #2
Ruinel
Banned

Re: A real person behind Finrod's character?

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellon
Recently I found myself wondering that if Beren and Luthien's tale was inspired upon Tolkien’s love for his wife, then would any of the characters that those two interact with be also inspired upon real people?

Would Finrod’s sacrifice be inspired upon the sacrifice of one of Tolkiens fellow soldiers during WW1? What do you think?
It is generally believed (or so I've read) that JRRT's service in WWI marked upon his work. War is not a Saturday picnic. It is brutal and savage and dark and sad. You can see this in JRRT's work, not just LotR, but The Sil as well. The battle are graffic and full of horror. People die who you wish did not. As well, Finrod dies similarly. He is captured with Beren and gives his life in defense of Beren. Very noble is Finrod in his life and death.

However, I have not read anything that would equate Finrod's character with a real person that JRRT knows. Perhaps someone else knows.

I just love *cough* ...errr... stongly like Finrod's character for who he is. I've never delved into real life relationships of JRRT.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 10:26 PM   #3
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

You know Elvellon I have never really thought about it. I think alot of Tolkien's characters are probably combinations of his favorite aspects of people he knew and people he read about.

I do know that he formed a strong bond with all the men that he served with in WW I, and it really shows in his work, like the bond that grows between Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. Three people with nothing in common working together and building a strong bond through all their hardships.
Crist by Cynewulf (lines 104-5)
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 11:02 PM   #4
Ruinel
Banned

Before WWI, JRRT had a small group of close friends. Many of them went to war, as he did. Many of them died. Surely, this was a big influence on his writing.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 07:44 AM   #5
Fëannel
Sapling

Finrod's sacifice may have been based on an act performed by one of Tolkien's friends, or perhaps something he had heard about: Finrod was always my favourite character by far, and I would hope that there was a possibility for a person in even a time like WWII to have displayed anything close to what bravery Finrod rendered. There is actually some similarity to what people may think or remember of WWII: him dying in the dark translates perhaps into dying in captivity of the Germans?
Also, I have noted the 'similarities', as it were, between Tolkien and his own wife and Beren and Lúthien: those two names were carved on their own graves.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:29 AM   #6
Ithilwin
Elven Warrior

Tolkien might had been influenced by a real person,to represent Finrod's sacrifice,it's possible...If that was what happened,he was sure strongly influenced by the WW

Quote:
Originally posted by Fëannel
Also, I have noted the 'similarities', as it were, between Tolkien and his own wife and Beren and Lúthien: those two names were carved on their own graves.
they were?wow

Last edited by Ithilwin : 04-10-2003 at 08:31 AM.
Ithilwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:37 AM   #7
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
they were?wow
Actually, there is a picture of Edith's and JRR's headstones floating around this board somewhere. If you do a search on Beren and Luthien, you may find it.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:25 PM   #8
Ithilwin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Actually, there is a picture of Edith's and JRR's headstones floating around this board somewhere. If you do a search on Beren and Luthien, you may find it.
thanks
Ithilwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 04:53 PM   #9
celeb-galad
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellon
Interesting point of view, Elvellon. I wonder who Huan would be then - Edith's faithful dog?
celeb-galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 05:26 PM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Now why does that comment make me immediatly think of a poodle?

PS: Nice avatar you got there celeb-galad.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:47 AM   #11
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

In one of JRRT's letters, he writes to his children about choosing "Lúthien" to put on his wife's grave, but I'm too tired to look it up.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:52 AM   #12
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh well, couldn't resist
Quote:
from letter #340 to Christopher Tolkien
I have at last got busy about Mummy's grave .... The inscription I should like is:
EDITH MARY TOLKIEN
1889-1971
Lúthien
: brief and jejune, except for Lúthien, which says for me more than a multitude of words: for she was (and knew she was) my Lúthien.
Also letter 332 refers to Edith/Lúthien.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote