Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-01-2001, 03:21 PM   #1
DrFledermaus

Questions

I just had to notice, the more time I spend reading about Tolkien's world the more complicated it gets. Well what a surprise when it comes to an entire cosmos that opens up to the reader Anyway, I hope anyone of you can answer my questions so I get a little help trying to understand at least the most important things...

1. Where came the elves from? How did they get to Tol Eressea and Middle-earth?

2. Why do some elves live in exile? Which elves are meant and why is this so?

3. Can anyone explane the connections between the evil ones (Melko-Morgoth-Sauron)?

4. What is the difference between Valar and Maia?

Okay I think that's it... I'm thankful for every reply
Old 04-01-2001, 07:46 PM   #2
Idril Celebrindal

Re: Questions

ok... don't know all, but... have u read the silmarillion?

1. what do u mean?

2. the Noldor are the elves in exile... there was a rebellion, or a sort. They left of their own free will, but weren't allowed to return... read the sil, it u haven't already. It's complicated. Someone give a more coherant answer, please...

3. ok... Melko/Morgoth. Same guy, morgoth is a later name for him. When he was called Melkor was pretty much at the beginning of middle earth, and it dropped pretty soon. Sauron was a servant of morgoth who survived his downfall, and turned himself into a kind of lesser version of his former master.

4. Maia are kinda lesser valar... The same kind of beings, but with less power and status. They usually serve the Valar, I think.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here...
Old 04-01-2001, 10:25 PM   #3
Inoldonil

Answers

1. Middle-earth reffers to the ancient forms of the continents we know of, as Tolkien's stories are supposed to take place in our ancient past. The Elves are the Elder Race, they awoke by the shores of Cuivienen in the far East of Middle-earth, when Varda laboured with the remaining stars, which she made from the dew of Telperion (one of the Two Trees). You really should read The Silmarillion, included in that is the Great Journey of the Quendi (Those Who Speak, they named themselves that because at the time they were the only ones who could).

It would take a bit of writing to tell you about that Journey, but Tol Eressea (The Lonely Isle) was originally part of the island in the Bay of Balar. Ulmo Lord of Waters (a Vala) uprooted it to take over a part of the Host of Olwe (of the Teleri, the Tarriers, the hindmost Host on the Great Journey, although they called themselves the Lindar, the People of Song), he was going to take them to Aman, the Blessed Realm, also called Valinor, the Land of the Valar, for they as yet had not learned the craft of ship-building. But Osse the Maia, who was of the people of Ulmo called to them, and they knew his voice and begged to stay in Middle-earth. So Ulmo (against the will of the other Valar) set the island down next to Valinor, and that people were glad, but the Valar and the other Elves who had come to Aman were grieved (they were the Vanyar and Noldor, who at the time made up the Calaquendi, the Light-Elves). That isle was called ever after Tol Eressea.

2. The Exiled Elves are the Noldor, 'Lore-masters'. The Silmarillion is dominantly considered with them and their hopeless battle against Morgoth Bauglir, so you really should read it. Morgoth (who is Melkor) stole the Silmarilli, jewels made by Feanor the Noldo, greatest of his works, they held the blended light of the Two Trees (which Morgoth and Ungoliant the Maia in form as of a great spider, of old corrupted to his service had destroyed, thus darkening Valinor). Feanor had already been in exile from the city of Tirion upon Tuna in the Calacirya, where was the abode of the Noldor, for drawing sword upon his half-brother Fingolfin and speaking rebellion against the Valar, because of the lies of Melkor that came to his ears. So Feanor and his seven sons spoke a terrible blasphemous oath and led most of the Noldor (but one tithe remained) away to make war on Morgoth in Middle-earth, although the greater part of that Host followed Fingolfin, and after the Doom of Mandos was spoken Finarfin (younger brother of Fingolfin) repented and led part of that people back to Tirion and ruled the people there. It's part of a very long story, but that's enough for you to go on I suppose. Many of the Noldor returned after the First Age, marked by the destruction of Thangorodrim and Angband, and the banishing of Melkor into the Void. Of those that remained, most left after the Second Age, and so you get a dwindling folk in the Third Age. It's important to note that when the Noldor returned from Middle-earth they were only alloud to dwell in Tol Eressea (which had long been uninhabited, Osse had taught that people (the Falmari) the craft of ship-building so that they may atlast come to Aman, and so they did, and they dwelt at Alqualonde in the Bay of Eldamar North of the Calacirya), not Valinor. After the Third Age only some Noldor remained, and it appears the last of them left by Fourth Age 120.

3. 'Melkor' was the greatest of all the Ainur, the Holy Ones, it means basically He Who Arised in Might. Feanor named him Morgoth Bauglir when he stole the Silmarilli, which means Dark Enemy of the World. Sauron was originally a Maia of Aule The Smith, but was corrupted to the service of Melkor. He was the greatest of all the Maiar and became his chief general.

4. The Valar and the Maiar are different orders of the Ainur, the Holy Ones who were the first things created by Eru Iluvatar, The One, the All-father. The Valar and the Maiar are those of the Ainur who entered into Arda. The Valar were the chiefs, and the Maiar were divided among them as their people and servants. The Valar can be called the Angelic Gods, and the Maiar the Angels, if it's easier to remember.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:30 AM   #4
Michael Martinez

Re: Answers

It sounds as though you haven't read The Silmarillion. If you can buy a copy, or borrow one, I recomend you do so.
Old 04-03-2001, 07:52 AM   #5
easterlinge

Re: Answers

The "Silmarillion" is a good one-book summary of the First Age. Get this to tie all the other books, or just get it on its own.

I happened to read "Lord of the Rings" before "Silmarillion". I'm afraid Elrond's references to the First Age rather went over my head. And Bilbo's "Song of Earendil" baffled me. Who the heck was Earendil, and why was he sailing at all, and why was he punished by becoming an orbiting star? And Legolas' dismay at seeing "a Balrog of Morgoth"... who was Morgoth?

"Silmarillion" answers all of that.