Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-14-2003, 02:11 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I feel naked.......

now that the Iraq thread is closed I need to find a new home to post in now, gonna be a hard choice, any ideas where I should go?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

hehe. sure . i wouold have recommended you the , "fighting mooters thread" ( i made it in yours , Jdevils' and Coney's honor)

But Crickhollow shut it down.

*homeless myself*
Old 03-14-2003, 02:18 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, it sure seems like the "Protest" thread has picked up where the Iraq thread left off. I have just spent a 1/2 hour editing flame posts and quotes.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:54 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, you'd never get me acting so childishly.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:59 PM   #5
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Well, you'd never get me acting so childishly.
lol uh-sure BoP
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 04:10 PM   #6
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by congressmn
hehe. sure . i wouold have recommended you the , "fighting mooters thread" ( i made it in yours , Jdevils' and Coney's honor)

But Crickhollow shut it down.

*homeless myself*
Well thanks congressmn........would have been a quick fight tho'......I've got both of 'em on ingnore

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 04:47 PM   #7
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Well, it sure seems like the "Protest" thread has picked up where the Iraq thread left off. I have just spent a 1/2 hour editing flame posts and quotes.
Wow - never had any of my psost edited before. - I still don't think that what I said was bad though. I guess I could have just said "Admin's pet"

Coney - not that you'll see this :rolleyes - Having someone on ignore sort of defeats the purpose of a messageboard. How many times had you had arguments going on the Iraq thread and then came back the next day saying "Wow - I was busy last night - don't remember any of it".

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 05:02 PM   #8
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

I haven't actually gotten around to hitting ingnore yet....

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Wow - never had any of my psost edited before. - I still don't think that what I said was bad though. I guess I could have just said "Admin's pet"

Coney - not that you'll see this :rolleyes - Having someone on ignore sort of defeats the purpose of a messageboard. How many times had you had arguments going on the Iraq thread and then came back the next day saying "Wow - I was busy last night - don't remember any of it".
So that's brown noser and Admins Pet

Anymore insults you'd like to throw at me on a public message board?

Beatallica
Old 03-14-2003, 05:14 PM   #9
Smaug
Enting

I was kind of surprised to see some of the threads that are allowed here (Iraq, capital punishment, abortion, religion, etc) In most other forums I visit, topics like that go down the toilet within one or two pages.

Sucks that such discussions are starting to go down the toilet here, too (though after a much longer time ) It was nice being able to see ppl discuss stuff like that without resorting to flaming and trolling.

At least since this forum is based on vBulletin, it's possible to ignore ppl, like on Usenet. So far, the only thing I ignore is sigs (too many ppl making one-line-posts with ten-line-sigs. ) but it's nice to know that I can ignore ppl entirely if they repeatedly stoop to flaming and trolling.
Smaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 05:15 PM   #10
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
So that's brown noser and Admins Pet

Anymore insults you'd like to throw at me on a public message board?
I just figured "Admin's Pet" would have been less offensive and you might have actually have taken that as the joke it was meant to be. Oh well - sorry if you were offended. As I said I had smilies. You and BoP had said a lot worse things about me on the previous Iraq thread - but I didn't blow up like this.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-14-2003 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:22 PM   #11
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I just figured "Admin's Pet" would have been less offensive and you might have actually have taken that as the joke it was meant to be. Oh well - sorry if you were offended. As I said I had smilies. You and BoP had said a lot worse things about me on the previous Iraq thread - but I didn't blow up like this.
*shrugs* I think it was Rian that said this is a cultural thing. Maybe it is because where I live if another man directly insults you...it usually leads to very uncomfortable consequences. Maybe it is different where you live.

I can take a joke, but only when I feel it is justified.

Quote:
Oh well - sorry if you were offended.
[Darth Vader impersonation]Apology accepted.[/Darth Vader impersonation]

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 03-14-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:23 PM   #12
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

i never posted much in the Iraq thread, but why was it closed?
Old 03-14-2003, 05:28 PM   #13
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by ArwenEvenstar
i never posted much in the Iraq thread, but why was it closed?
Well, the conversation had degenerated into sacarsm......a complete breakdown of civilised conversation

Oh, and Rian went into labour

Beatallica
Old 03-14-2003, 05:31 PM   #14
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
Well, the conversation had degenerated into sacarsm......a complete breakdown of civilised conversation
Like that hasn't happened before on one of the Iraq/"Anti-American" threads before.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-14-2003, 06:03 PM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yep, and they were closed as well.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:18 PM   #16
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Yep, and they were closed as well.
Not because of sarcasm though.

Anyway - I still support the removal of Hussein. It should have been done in 1991 and we're just taking care of unfinished business now.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-14-2003 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:30 PM   #17
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

i agree that he should be removed but not by bombing the WHOLE country, only what needs to be
Old 03-14-2003, 06:40 PM   #18
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by ArwenEvenstar
i agree that he should be removed but not by bombing the WHOLE country, only what needs to be
That was the original plan - but now Hussein has laid explosives around 700 oil wells and has had much more time to prepare. I'm sure he's put military equipment around civilian sites. He has no problem with killing thousands of his own people to protect himself.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-14-2003 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:57 PM   #19
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, I am glad to see that everyone has kissed and made up. Now, this thread was about Dunedain's withdrawl, not a thread to restart the closed topic on Iraq. JD, it isn't easy to moderate a board this size and catch every single flame or violation. I want all of you to know that I am not happy about closing any thread that has grown to a length of mostly intellectual discussion, but when I give warnings, and more than one chance to keep the thread civil and on topic, and posters choose to defy the warnings, or take advantage of the chances I have extended to the thread and the posters, then I feel that closing the thread is the appropriate thing to do, because I by that time am given the impression that my authority as an admin is being ignored. I try to be as fair and as impartial as possible, but sometimes the posters make it difficult, and when that happens, the padlock solves the problem. Unfortunately it's the posters that did nothing wrong but enjoy the discussion that suffer.

Again, this thread is not an invitation to restart the Iraq discussion. Sorry.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 07:10 PM   #20
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Now, this thread was about Dunedain's withdrawl, not a thread to restart the closed topic on Iraq.
Knew I should have waited until it reached the second page before starting to discuss iraq.
Quote:

JD, it isn't easy to moderate a board this size and catch every single flame or violation.
I know it isn't. But everyone is entitled have fun sometimes. The book comment was worth it.

Quote:

Again, this thread is not an invitation to restart the Iraq discussion. Sorry.
I'll wait. Chances are there will be another one soon. I don't think any of the Iraq threads ever reached beyond 60 pages.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-14-2003 at 07:12 PM.