Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 01:13 PM   #1
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

The Nuclear Holocaust has Started!

This is a serious topic, but the the thread is meant to be a bit of fun....

Imagine the scene......

It is early evening, your days work is done. You are relaxing in your favourite chair, a good drink and favourite snack in arms reach, re-reading your favourite chapter from the dog-eared copy of Lord of the Rings. In the background the radio plays gentle music. All seems well with the world.

Suddently, a harsh voice yells from the radio.....

Attention! Your Attention! A nuclear attack has been launched against [insert you country]. All major cities have been targetted. You have 3 minutes and 50 seconds to find shelter. Remain in the shelter, the authorities will come to you. Do not, I repeat, do not leave your homes or place of work. We will find you.

You now have 3 minutes and 30 seconds. Good luck everyone.

The radio goes dead.

As you start to think the whole thing is some kind of sick joke you become aware of a multitude of sirens in the distance. On the road outside you hear the frightened screams of your neighbours as they panic.

You have 3 minutes 20 seconds...........what would you do?

Beatallica
Old 03-03-2003, 01:20 PM   #2
Bodo Fraggins
Sapling

Look death in the face and say, "I'm ready for it!"
Old 03-03-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Tried to play dead when the Grim Reaper arrived...
Old 03-03-2003, 02:01 PM   #4
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
What chance would any kind of shelter you hide in have against a Nuclear Bomb? So what would be the point of hiding? With me I'd probably make sure I made it right with God before I died, then I'd go back to my lemonade and book knowing I'm safe.
Or else I'd stay where I'm at...in the Idahoan country where NOTHING happens whatsoever. I mean some of the farmers out here wouldn't even blink an eye if there was an invasion of aliens. They'd probably think they're tourists or relatives of the Perkins or Smiths (who co-own the whole stinking valley I live in) or something.
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 03-03-2003, 02:20 PM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Id break open the 50 year old scotch. Maybe if I had 15 minutes Id find a like minded female. But 3 minutes? Cant even go out with a bang in that short a time.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 03-03-2003, 02:25 PM   #6
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Thats the same thing I thought of when I first read it too Insidious. Okay, 3 min? Quickly tell everyone around me how much I loved them and then find a good looking guy...very quickly.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:09 PM   #7
Bodo Fraggins
Sapling

Just a quick point.

They give the 3 min warning once the missile has been launced, so there is little time to run, you are told to make a shelter, a shelter will do no good if the bomb lands anywhere near you (the distance would be determind by the strength of the bomb.
The purpose of the shelter is to protect you from radiation, so if a bomb was sent to, say NYC, then the city and the area around it would stand no chance of survival, shelter or no shelter. But once the bomb has gone off, everything around the area (for 100s of miles, again depending on the strength of the bomb) becomes radioactive, the shelter is to stop you coming in contact with the radiation.

There are lots of resources on the internet about neuclear weapons, radiation, and guidelines etc. if you care to learn more on the subject.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:20 PM   #8
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Quote:
Originally posted by samwise of the shire
What chance would any kind of shelter you hide in have against a Nuclear Bomb? So what would be the point of hiding? With me I'd probably make sure I made it right with God before I died, then I'd go back to my lemonade and book knowing I'm safe.
Well, that would basically be my thought, too. Only I would probably pray until the time was up, because the world would need prayer then more than ever. (And for those of you don't believe that our prayers are heard -- well, I do)

OR, since my neighbors are supposedly outside panicking, I might try to go out and comfort them. Call it last-chance witnessing? Although I think most of them are already Christians.

Another good question is: what do you do when the authorities show up? The statement doesn't say that's how long you have before you die. Although Coney may be trying to imply, with the sirens, that somewhere near you is about to be hit, this is never said explicitly.

Thus, it might be several hours or even days before you died. And, yes, there's always a chance of a miracle, but I certainly wouldn't count on one.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:25 PM   #9
Bodo Fraggins
Sapling

If a nuke had gone off, i think the authorities would be at home with their families!
Old 03-03-2003, 05:40 PM   #10
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

find a gun or someone with a gun and promptly shoot myself in the head/have them do it for me.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:47 PM   #11
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
find a gun or someone with a gun and promptly shoot myself in the head/have them do it for me.
better hope its not a false alarm.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 03-03-2003, 07:01 PM   #12
LuthienTinuviel

Quote:
better hope its not a false alarm.
who cares.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:24 PM   #13
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Two possibilities:

One: I'd fall for it. I'd waste a minute staring incredulously at the radio. Then jump up, search for my familymembers. Tell them what I've heard. Grab some food and a few bottles of water and crawl with the rest of the family in the basement. Sit and pray that my cat, which probably fled from all the noice, and if possible also myself may survive the blast. And I'd end up making a total fool of myself which will probably be remembered even 20 family reunions later if the whole thing turns out to be a fake.

Two: I wouldn't buy it. I'd turn up the radio. Get myself another drink and tell my sister how nice I find it that they are doing a play on the radio like 'War of the Worlds' and invite her to come and listen and have a few laughs. Then 3 minutes later my atoms get shattered over the European continent.
Quote:
Tried to play dead when the Grim Reaper arrived...
LOL! Good one!
Old 03-03-2003, 07:41 PM   #14
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

a. i would pray that i would live.
b. i would grab Bearbear, my cdplayer with my two lotr soundtracks, my ps2 w/ my two towers game, my lotr special edition dvd, my lotr books, my harry potter books, my lotr photo alblum, my moms laptop with internet connection and the phone and would run down into the basement with my family and my dog
c. i would tell my family how much i loved them
d. id call up the guy i like and the guy i used to like from camp
e. id post on entmoot to say goodbye

of course, i would do this at top speed so i would be able to do all of this in 3 minutes

if it was a fake, i would scream
Old 03-03-2003, 08:36 PM   #15
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Gee, 3 minutes isn't very much time...

My first thought would be to kill myself, but I don't have any weapons in my house.

My second thought would be to spend it cracking open prized bottles of wine, but there wouldn't be much time to enjoy them.

I guess I'd call friends and loved ones, but all the phone lines would probably be busy.

I'd probably enjoy a cigarette (3 minutes is about right), content in the knowledge that cancer won't kill me.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:51 PM   #16
LuthienTinuviel

Quote:
e. id post on entmoot to say goodbye
kind of like i did when i thought there was someone in my house....

Quote:
I'd probably enjoy a cigarette (3 minutes is about right), content in the knowledge that cancer won't kill me
haha
Old 03-03-2003, 08:56 PM   #17
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
I'd probably enjoy a cigarette (3 minutes is about right), content in the knowledge that cancer won't kill me.
Yup.......be my choice as well *hurry up holocaust*

That is after I've put my cats into a dry sewer (which sounds really cruel, but I figure that it's the safest place for them......underground with a good supply of live food etc).

Then it would be two quick phonecalls....and intravenous vodka

Beatallica
Old 03-03-2003, 09:00 PM   #18
LuthienTinuviel

Quote:
and intravenous vodka
ahh i only wish i had that right now...

stupid 90 second rule.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:01 PM   #19
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Well it's kinda hard to say what I'd do cause 3 min. isn't very long but I would 1)make peace with God
2)tell my family I love them
3)if the nuclear boom was to land anywhere near
where I am I would kiss my butt goodbye
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Old 03-03-2003, 11:21 PM   #20
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I would be even more thankful that I live in central New Jersey - a split second away from complete annihilation. Everyone knows that if any city is targeted - it would be New York City - 40 miles from where I live. Philadelphia would most likely be another one - again 40 miles from where I live.

I won't be one of the millions and millions who have to suffer through radiation poisoning or severe burns.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Closed Thread