Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2003, 06:02 PM   #1
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

diminish?

on 5-9-02 Finmandos12 posted:
Quote:
Has this site suffered from FOTR:LOTR the movie coming out? It seems our discussions have fallen from what they were like before the movie and we have become just another message board, slang, misspellings, abbreviations, and all. We were mentioned in the Yahoo magazine, but are we living up to their description of this site?

what does everyone think now that the second movie has come out?

i think that it has gone down a little, but all of the different people here, and floods of replies make up for it. i'll take flavour and spice over a smidgen of decline easily.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:19 PM   #2
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Well it's not filled with slang and assorted problems-but it's less interested on the Tolkien side. I think some of it may be because my interest ebbs and flows, some of it has to do with the makeup of the board.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:30 PM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I struggle sometimes because I don't know many of the people posting anymore. I come here, and two pages will be filled with posts from people I'm not really familiar with. Oh well, this will pass I guess. If I have something worth saying, I'll say it!
Old 02-24-2003, 06:35 PM   #4
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

well, i even find myself coming here les and less. it's odd because this is my favourite place to be on the net. *sigh*
it's not so much assorted problems anymore, but slang and stuff, like
i got a good 1 4 u!
or things like
B4
they drive me mad i tell you! and ive seen more than one mooter doing that as well.
to expand on what i said before, in a few ways this place has really gone down, like *shudder* fangirls.
but, they *try* to keep it to one thread.
there has been alot more pointless things, like the tree falling thread, 4 pages of.. well .. nothing!. or the favourite rug colour one that got closed before TTT came out.
but then we always have afro elf to give us good things to discuss.

that's what i mean, every downfall, has something good to counteract it. maybe it's just the natural wave of things, but i can't help but think and worry sometimes.
(edit)
LIZRA- that too, it seems more impersonal than before, but as we get to know these newbies im *hoping it will pass.

Last edited by LuthienTinuviel : 02-24-2003 at 06:36 PM.
LuthienTinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 06:58 PM   #5
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

When I was a lad, and the 'moot a mere sapling.......

I'm only here for the beer

(It is true tho', I can count on my fingers how many 'mooters I "know" pretty well........any ideas towards making this place more "personal?).

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 07:45 PM   #6
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Please remeber that this is just my oppinion

I am still a newbie. I joined on December 31, 2002. I had only seen The Fellowship of the Ring movie two times, and the Two Towers movie one time when I joined, but I had read all of the books 3 times. I joined because I loved Tolkiens writings (not to say that I don't love the movie now, but I was saying that I didn't join BECAUSE of the movie).

A lot of people have joined because of the movies but not all, so please don't give nebies a cold shoulder (not that any one does!) just because they are new.

Please remember that this is just my oppinion so don't be too cruel! Please!
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 07:53 PM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, to be perfectly honest (oh oh!) Many of the new names seem like the same person to me! They are all some 14 year old girl who thinks someone is hot! (Ok, you can throw stuff at me! ) I'll try to slow down and look things over more carefully!
Old 02-24-2003, 08:09 PM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, it's a fact that all message boards take a decline in quality of discussion and in depature and arrival of members. In the case of Entmoot, and a few other Tolkien boards like SF-Fandom, they have experienced many changes with the release of the movies. I think this is to be expected, but there is no reason why intelligent discussion of the books can't continue in the book forums. A message board is only as good as its members make it. So if we expect it to do well and consist of good discussion, we have to make that happen. There is nothing wrong with a bit of light heartedness, or even some idol worship. I am guilty of it myself, but we must remember that this is a Tolkien board, not a Peter Jackson board and it all starts with Tolkien's works.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 09:45 PM   #9
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
well....i did like lord of the rings alot better after the movies came out, but i read the books and i liked them alot better. The movies got alot more people into it for better....and for worse. I have never posted in the fan girl thread cuz i thinks its pointless ranting over whose gonna marry legolas
*GIVE UP!! its never going to happen!*

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 05:52 AM   #10
Baby-K
Corruptor

Re: When I was a lad, and the 'moot a mere sapling.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
I'm only here for the beer

(It is true tho', I can count on my fingers how many 'mooters I "know" pretty well........any ideas towards making this place more "personal?).
Let me know when that happens ok.............in the meantime cheers
Old 02-25-2003, 08:43 AM   #11
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Lizra:
Many of the new names seem like the same person to me! They are all some 14 year old girl who thinks someone is hot!
I thought the same thing. In fact, I conducted a bit of an investigation into the matter, but my conclusion is that probably there was(were) one (or a few) whining, immature, hyper fangirl(s) who suggested to her(their) whining, immature, hyper fangirl friends to join in.

Last edited by Andúril : 02-25-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:41 AM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Maybe I need to make a chart? It's more confusing than the Silmarillion.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:29 PM   #13
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
In the beginning there was just The One: Tolkien. And from the void he created books and tales of such incredible beauty and power that all was good. And then he said go forth my stories and spawn other creations of intrest and intreague and imagination. And role playing games came into being. And a vast host of message boards were created. and FRODO LIVES t-shirts and coffee mugs with Gollum on it and all was good. And then came the movies.... and the tumault was grave and vast and lands long established were ripped to their foundations and toppled in the confusion between source material and new medium. And fangirls were spawned in this new land by the millions. And those that darest to reinterpret the word of The One spoke openly and without shame! And the land was filled with those who knew not that the original literary source even existed! And all these were know as the fallen fans. And the true fans were remorssed and left the vale of this world behind. But then after the fury, the fallen fans opened the books and spoke not of their Legolas dreams or of how they should have cutteth both Frodo and Sam from the movie and instead had the ring taken by Arwen to its destruction so that more time for the revealing of cleavage could be possible --- and they were silent.... and they grew in their learning of the stories and their appreciation of the world of The One. And yay! They were risen! And many became fans true and noble and passed on the word to others. And the land bloomed again. And the message boards were reborn anew with fiery opinion and itellectual discusion. And in the end it was revealed the plan of The One was all along to be played out in this way. And peace was once again in the land. And then paramount got the rights and made Sauron vs. Predator.....

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 01:06 PM   #14
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Quote:
Nothing is more confusing than the Silmarillion.

My opinion: I do think Entmoot is going through a bit of a decline, but I think if we just give it long enough, the Moot will right itself and equilibrium will reign supreme once more. After a while, fangirls (shudder) will either realize that they aren't wanted, or they'll get bored and go away. Movie-going people will figure out that they're not REAL Tolkien fans. Then they will either read the books and become the real thing, or they too will slack off. So in the end, I think we'll come out ok.

Also, remember that the excitement after a movie dies down eventually.

Lastly, be nice to people who only came because of the movies!! Who knows, they might actually want to be real Tolkienites, and with some helpful people on their side, they might just get onto the right road.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 02:08 PM   #15
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I'm having a deja vu ...
The decline of Entmoot

Agree with SGH, if we think the board has declined, it's up to ourselves to make it better.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:35 PM   #16
Sween
im quite stupid

No offence to anyone on the moot but a lot of the fangirlish people views i really couldnt care less.

There are certain members who are good and hold my intrest but recentally there has been a lot of people join that offer nothing of intrest to me.

of course im sure this is the same for a lot of people with me
Old 02-25-2003, 02:43 PM   #17
Anérith
Sapling

I cannot comment on what Entmoot has been because I have been here for little more than a month or two and I only recently emerged from lurkerdom - I would consider myself a long time fan whose interest has been renewed by two rather good films.

I can say that the same thing has happened in other fandoms - the sudden burst of fangirls is depressing (and not to mention boring) for those who are interested in the world and the characters over the actor who happens to portray them.

All I can say is continue to discuss and welcome the new "faces" - the ones who don't really care beyond the face of a filmstar will soon go away.

Just my thoughts

~Anérith~
Anérith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 02:47 PM   #18
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes, I really don't want to make fun of them (fangirls). "Boring" is a very good descriptiopn!
Old 02-25-2003, 02:52 PM   #19
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Yes, I really don't want to make fun of them (fangirls). "Boring" is a very good descriptiopn!
i think that the problem is that for ever intresting person that joins the moot at the moment we get 20 boring fangirls whos intrest are resticed to orlando broom and wallowing in there teenage angst.

we need more intresting personalities like me
Old 02-25-2003, 02:55 PM   #20
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
In the beginning there was just The One: Tolkien. And from the void he created books and tales of such incredible beauty and power that all was good. And then he said go forth my stories and spawn other creations of intrest and intreague and imagination. And role playing games came into being. And a vast host of message boards were created. and FRODO LIVES t-shirts and coffee mugs with Gollum on it and all was good. And then came the movies.... and the tumault was grave and vast and lands long established were ripped to their foundations and toppled in the confusion between source material and new medium. And fangirls were spawned in this new land by the millions. And those that darest to reinterpret the word of The One spoke openly and without shame! And the land was filled with those who knew not that the original literary source even existed! And all these were know as the fallen fans. And the true fans were remorssed and left the vale of this world behind. But then after the fury, the fallen fans opened the books and spoke not of their Legolas dreams or of how they should have cutteth both Frodo and Sam from the movie and instead had the ring taken by Arwen to its destruction so that more time for the revealing of cleavage could be possible --- and they were silent.... and they grew in their learning of the stories and their appreciation of the world of The One. And yay! They were risen! And many became fans true and noble and passed on the word to others. And the land bloomed again. And the message boards were reborn anew with fiery opinion and itellectual discusion. And in the end it was revealed the plan of The One was all along to be played out in this way. And peace was once again in the land. And then paramount got the rights and made Sauron vs. Predator.....
ROFLMFAO!!!!

*composure, Coney....remember what the dr said*

Fangirls are ok(ish) if we could keep them in one or two places on the 'moot......

*sigh* it's a shame the authorities frown on locking people in cages and feeding them just bread and water

Quote:
taken by Arwen to its destruction so that more time for the revealing of cleavage could be possible
I knew there was a reason I loved those films....

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote