Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-21-2003, 11:41 AM   #1
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Saruman's Motives

Question to the floor: Just what were Sarumans motives in the Lord of the Rings exactly? It seems he wanted to pursue the ring for himself sometimes and at other times he speaks of working with/for Sauron. Surely Saruman was smart enough to know Sauron would never do this. Or did he really think he would give him a little fiefdom around Orthanc for his own purposes and leave him alone? My thinking is he wanted the ring for himself and didnt want Sauron in the picture at all really which is why he kept it so secret at first but then he held off attacking Sauron when Sauron was at Dol Guldur which makes you think well maybe he wanted to ally with him. But then of course he does attack him and is the main reason they drove him out. So whats the deal. Was it just all about getting a hold of the ring and being The Man or was it about some kind of evil alliance? He was after all doing Saurons bidding by making an army and keeping the men occupied in Rohan so Saurons forces would have less opposition to face.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 11:58 AM   #2
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Saruman wanted the Ring for himself. He started out pretending to be loyal to Sauron, but then struck out on his own. I expect that Sauron would have given him a little fiefdom, for two main reasons (actually, one main reason divided into two subreasons).

1. Saruman was a Maia, and the Head of the Order of the Istari; no doubt a powerful Maia indeed.
a. Having one such as Saruman as a subordinate would have no doubt been quite useful.
b. Having one such as Saruman as an enemy would have no doubt been quite a nuisance.

Of course, that's just my guess.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 12:17 PM   #3
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I wonder why Sauron cooperated with Saruman. He must have guessed that Saruman (and every other person) would take the ring for himself.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:22 PM   #4
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
I think he was really planning to betray Saruman after his goals were achieved: replacing Saruman with a lieutenant more worthy of trust (read: a mindless slave).

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
I think he was really planning to betray Saruman after his goals were achieved: replacing Saruman with a lieutenant more worthy of trust (read: a mindless slave).
if the balrog had survived this could have made the competition for second lieutenant interesting. But Im thinking Sauron was only interested in being The One. And he knew very well Saruman would vie for the ring with him. But yet having a henchman like Saruman is a lot like Morgoth having a henchman like Sauron. So why not.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:29 PM   #6
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Quote:
But yet having a henchman like Saruman is a lot like Morgoth having a henchman like Sauron. So why not.
And after Morgoth was defeated, Sauron became the Dark Lord right?
Maybe thats what Saruman wanted. But I think he always wanted the ring for himself and only got buddy-buddy with Sauron because he thought Sauron would trust him and maybe tell him where the Ring was.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:57 AM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Saruman's Motives

I think Saruman was after the Ring for himself all the time. But he was not evil to begin with, his intentions were good. He may have thought he could wield the Ring and use it for good purposes. I don't think he ever understood what Gandalf always knew, that the Ring would conquer him in the end.

It is clear that Saruman used the palantir to be in contact with Sauron. They had a plot going together, to hinder the Ring-bearer and get hold on the Ring. But I think each of them planned to betray the other. Saruman wanted to be the next Ring-Lord, and deemed himself strong enough to overthrow Sauron if he only could get hold of the Ring. Sauron would have knocked Saruman away with his little finger if he had got the Ring back.

Last edited by Artanis : 02-22-2003 at 05:03 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 02:33 PM   #8
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i think if saruman had the ring or not he would not be able to compete against sauron. sauron already had more orcs then saruman because the ents wiped out the orcs saruman had so either way saruman would have lost
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 11:35 PM   #9
azalea
Long lost mooter

I think they were playing games w/ each other. Each knew the other was just pretending to be an ally, and each one knew the other one knew that, but they played the game anyway. Saruman knew that Sauron getting the ring would not be in his own (Saruman's) best interest, and Sauron was suspicious of everyone I'm sure. But I don't think Saruman had always intended to get the ring for himself to use, but over time the thought grew in his mind and twisted him, until he became what we see in the books.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 06:38 AM   #10
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
i think if saruman had the ring or not he would not be able to compete against sauron. sauron already had more orcs then saruman because the ents wiped out the orcs saruman had so either way saruman would have lost
I wouldn't say that. If the ring wasn't strong enough to defeat even Sauron why did Sauron fear that his enemies would use the ring?
Old 02-23-2003, 10:03 AM   #11
Aranwe
Enting

And Saruman managed to breed/gather an army of 10,000 Uruk-Hai/wild men in a very short space of time... from when gandalf visited to when the attack on helms deep came it couldn't have been more than a week or two, and he had the whole of fangorn forest to fuel his industry.

As for his motives... he definately wanted the ring for himself. Otherwise he would have told Sauron that Frodo was trying to destroy the ring, and Sauron wouldn't have made his attack too soon.

His plan was to capture the ring for himself and use it to overthrow Sauron, although whether it would have actually worked is another matter.

Last edited by Aranwe : 02-23-2003 at 10:06 AM.
Aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:56 AM   #12
Elf Girl
Lurker

Perhaps Saruman actually thought the Sauron knew where the Ring was, so be forming an alliance, he could find out for himself?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 11:46 AM   #13
Aranwe
Enting

Sauron DID know where the ring was to some extent. He knew it was being carried by a Hobbit with 3 other Hobbit companions and a Man, heading towards Rivendell.

The only advantage Saruman had over Sauron is that, from being good himself once and being the head of the white council, he knew that Elrond/Gandalf/Galadriel would be trying to destroy the ring rather than use it.

Sauron thought they would take it to Gondor and use it against him, which is why his eye was turned towards Gondor rather than his own land.

If Saruman had told Sauron that they were trying to destroy the ring Sauron would have been watching Cirith Ungol, his armies would have stayed in Mordor and so would the wraiths.

There's no way Frodo could have suceeded against all that, but Saruman knew that if Sauron got the ring he'd never have a chance of getting it for himself.

He also orders his Uruk-Hai to bring the hobbits back to Isengard, not Mordor.
Aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 12:28 PM   #14
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I don't believe that Saruman actually knew that they wanted to destroy the ring. Maybe he thought like Sauron that they never would destroy a thing of such power.
And another thing. Saruman had a palantir, why didn't he see, that the Uruk-Hai had the wrong Hobbits captured?
Old 02-23-2003, 12:39 PM   #15
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I'm with Lalaith here. Saruman did not know that Frodo was going to Mordor to destroy the Ring. That's why it would be a catastrophy to the quest if Merry and Pippin were brought to Isengard, even if they didn't carry the Ring. They would have been put to torment, and they may have revealed the real purpose of their journey, to both Saruman and Sauron.

I think Saruman, like Sauron, had become to ensnared by the power of the Ring, that he could not imagine anyone actually wanting to destroy it.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:59 PM   #16
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Aranwe
Sauron DID know where the ring was to some extent. He knew it was being carried by a Hobbit with 3 other Hobbit companions and a Man, heading towards Rivendell.
But the alliance between Saruman and Sauron was forged before then, right?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 06:29 PM   #17
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
And another thing. Saruman had a palantir, why didn't he see, that the Uruk-Hai had the wrong Hobbits captured?
Sauron had control of that palantir and wouldn't let Saruman focus it anywhere but on Sauron himself. Aragorn broke Sauron's control over that palantir in ROTK.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:33 PM   #18
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
But the alliance between Saruman and Sauron was forged before then, right?
Yes. It wasn't so much an alliance as Sauron ensnaring Saruman via the palantir (c. 3000 III). Saruman dared to look into his seeing stone and was captured.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:59 PM   #19
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Aranwe
... from when gandalf visited to when the attack on helms deep came it couldn't have been more than a week or two...

Do you mean from the time he was imprisoned in Orthanc to the time of the Battle of the Hornburg? It was almost eight months. And Saruman had already started his army when Gandalf was imprisoned. In reading through that part, it is apparent that Saruman wants the Ring for himself already, but it seems that his plan is to pretend to be an ally of Sauron in case Sauron gets it first.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 09:57 AM   #20
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

How can anybody not beeing evil understand the thoughts and purposes of an evil person?