Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2003, 05:08 PM   #1
SamNotSoWise
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee I have yet to see it

I haven't been allowed to see TTT yet , but I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your comments. See, I have two daughters away at college who will kill me if I see it without them, so I have to wait until they are home on Spring Break (first week in March) and then we're going to see it together.

I'm not worried about the spoilers since I've read the books about 15 times, so I know the story quite well.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts in March.

Oh, and my great kids got me the video of FOTR for Christmas. I've only watched it twice so far. My wife just humors me.
SamNotSoWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:10 PM   #2
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Hello and welcome. What did you think about the first one?

cheers

d.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:14 PM   #3
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Yeah Welcome to the Moot!
FOTR was brill! You will love TTT...well i did and i know a couple of people who didn't like it but they aren't a fan of Tolkein!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:16 PM   #4
SamNotSoWise
Hobbit

I really enjoyed FOTR, even though I missed Bombadil dreadfully. I know PJ couldn't fit it all into the movies, but Bombadil would have been fun to see.

Overall, I felt it was very well done.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:51 PM   #5
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Yes, it was pretty amazing. I thought they could've cut more out, actually, and there were a few "extra" bits which didn't make sense to me, but overall it completely surpassed my expectations.

It's great that you can enjoy it with your kids. My boy's a bit too young to appreciate it (8); he's got a bit of a phobia about ringwraiths. Who can blame him? He refuses to believe me that they're not as scary in the film as in the book.

cheers

d.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 01:23 PM   #6
SamNotSoWise
Hobbit

Introducing kids to Tolkien

It sounds like you've already introduced him to Tolkien, but how I did it was my daughters and I used to do the dishes together, and I would tell them (from memory since I'd read them so many times) the Hobbit story.

Eventually, we got an automatic dishwasher so that tradition ended before I could go through LOTR.

I did do the "Hobbit" thing again with two others of my kids.

Great father-child bonding time!
Old 02-20-2003, 01:46 PM   #7
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Introducing kids to Tolkien

I tried reading 'The Hobbit' aloud to my daughter, she's 7. She enjoyed the first chapters, but then she lost patience during the rather long chapters that followed after Bilbo had escaped from Gollum. We'll have to try again in some years.

Dunadan, or anyone, would you let your child watch the LotR movie if he wanted to? My daughter want to see it, but I'm in doubt. I think she might be a bit too young.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:45 PM   #8
SamNotSoWise
Hobbit

Re: Introducing kids to Tolkien

I agree. Just because of the intensity of the action scenes, I wouldn't recommend the movies for younger children (in general, not for kids younger than about 10). Of course, it depends on the child--some are more mature than others.

Trying reading a chapter of Hobbit yourself to re-familiarize yourself with it, if necessary, then just tell the story in your own paraphrase. You can make it more interesting to the kids until they are old enough to hear it all or read it all themselves.

Just MHO, YMMV.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:45 PM   #9
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Re: Introducing kids to Tolkien

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNotSoWise
Trying reading a chapter of Hobbit yourself to re-familiarize yourself with it, if necessary, then just tell the story in your own paraphrase. You can make it more interesting to the kids until they are old enough to hear it all or read it all themselves.
It is a good idea, and I might give it a try, although I'm a terrible storyteller Perhaps if someone else told the story ... I've been looking for a dramatization of the Hobbit on CD, but they're of course all in English.

Regarding the movies: Some of my daughter's classmates (all of them boys ) have seen them, both FotR and TTT. Then the 'you're too young' argument isn't easy to use. I may end up letting her watch the 'lighter' scenes in FotR. Anyway I have no control when my daughter is visiting her friends and their parents let their kids watch movies like that when she is present. Perhaps it is better to let her watch it at home, together with me.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:42 PM   #10
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

y not just go se it and not tell them then everyone is happy
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 09:59 PM   #11
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Strider

whoa a lot of parents on this page. Makes me want to check if my room is clean or something. Yes I can get on the internet, yes I've done my homework.

anyhow, I loved LOTR.(movies) both FOTR and TTT. And for all those people who say they dont like the way PJ's version of it turns out I say, Hey at least he tried. Why dont you make the movie and do better. Although making Faramir take Frodo and Sam miles out of thier way to Osgilliath was a bit annoying. Faramir is my second fave character. (Eowyn first)

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 11:00 AM   #12
shirefarmer
Sapling

awwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im likeing the family bonding while doind the dishes how sweet wish my parents did that for me.

oh well but also tried reading the hobbit to my younger cousins and it wasnt easy!!! but they love the movie so much they live next door so they always come over and ask if i want to play lord of the rings with them and you know i cant say no. I bet i look kind of silly to the neighbors but i always look silly

Last edited by shirefarmer : 02-22-2003 at 11:01 AM.
shirefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 11:05 AM   #13
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I read the Hobbit to my younger cousins as well, they really enjoyed and I hope they turn into future Tolkienites!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 02:35 PM   #14
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I never had such luck-my family read us Narnia instead. I actually didn't read the hobbit until after LOTR.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:14 PM   #15
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

My dad read my brother and I LotR when we were kids. Great memories. And he'd do voices for the orcs, especially great in exchanges between Gorbag and Shagrat, or Grishnakh. Good times. This experience really put me on to Tolkien, so I later read the Hobbit and the Silmarillion independently. (And joined a cool discussion board!)
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 09:49 AM   #16
SamNotSoWise
Hobbit

Hey, Narnia's cool too (you probably know that Tolkien and Lewis, the author of the Narnia series, were good friends). Narnia is no where near as developed a mythology as Tolkien's, and Tolkien didn't think much of it, but I enjoy them both.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:11 PM   #17
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

TTT ON DVD?

This is as good as any place to ask this: Has anyone heard when the Two Towers will be out on DVD. I asked Columbia House but they "don't know'. no one replied via the anything thread and so I'm trying here. feel free to p.m. me.
Thanks

Old 02-24-2003, 10:41 PM   #18
azalea
Long lost mooter

According to what was said on the thread "TTT release date for DVD," it will be on June 30.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote