Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Elvish when spoken....

I've been meaning to comment on this for a while now, but I kept forgetting so here goes

After watching the extended version of FotR, the scenes that were added back in during Lothlorien, I really noticed something about the Elvish language when it is spoken. It sounds so close to the spoken form of Latin. Has anyone else noticed that? If not, go back to the part where Galadriel and Aragorn are talking to each other in Elvish just before they leave Lothlorien, I really noticed it there, the way Galadriel speaks the similarities really come out there, in my humble opinion

Besides, with Tolkien being a linguist expert, I am sure he based it off of the Latin derivatives anyway....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:55 PM   #2
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quenya was based on Latin, Finnish and Italian (I think)

Sindarin was based on (at least the sound) Celtic and Welsh.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:22 PM   #3
Bronwyn of Gondor
Sapling

Gandalf

It sounds a little like Latin (I'm not exactly well-versed, but I've heard it spoken before. )... I don't know, at the time I was more or less trying to read the subtitles so I didn't feel like a complete idiot not knowing was was going on, but I guess I need to listen again.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:53 PM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yes, it sounds like latin. Which is annoying because I'm gtongue tied and can't roll my R's.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:54 PM   #5
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

The Elvish language being Derived from Latin would make since. I believ it even talks about this in a way in the Silm. Something about Elvish becoming like Latin, onlly used in ceromonies and such*AAAGH - I'm posting about the books in the Movie forum**WallRocker slaps himself***

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 08:08 PM   #6
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

In the Letters of JRR Tolkien (Which is NOT a Lord of the Rings book!) Tolkien says that Quenya is like an "Elf-latin"; but I think he only means in the respect that it is used in ways similar to Latin.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 09:13 PM   #7
Thrain
Enting

Strider

I take Latin at school and it is slightly like the language but not much. For one LAtin is a much harder and choppier speech where as elvish just kind of flows out of the mouth.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:59 PM   #8
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrain
I take Latin at school and it is slightly like the language but not much. For one LAtin is a much harder and choppier speech where as elvish just kind of flows out of the mouth.
Of course Latin is harder and choppier when you are learning it, however for those who are able to speak it fluently and hear it spoken from those who are fluent in it, the language is very graceful...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 02-02-2003, 01:47 AM   #9
Huan
Elven Warrior

No, the elvish tongues aren't really intended to be based on Latin, and spoken Elvish (Sindarin) doesn't really sound like it. The tounges' strongest influence was Finnish. Gwaimir took the words from my mouth: Quenya is LIKE Latin in the sense that no one goes around speaking it; it's "book-Elvish." Or like Quran Arabic versus the zillions of modern Arabic dialects, though every Arab still learns Arabic as written in the Quran 1000-odd years ago. That's Quenya. Or like ancient Greek, which I can read, but I couldn't speak at all with a modern Greek, because the language sounds so different now.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:38 PM   #10
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

i bet JRRT didnt mean for it to sound like latin, but when it comes to making languages you can be influenced by the words and sounds from another language.
Old 02-04-2003, 01:49 AM   #11
Huan
Elven Warrior

Oh yeah, all the languages Tolkien knew went into his creation of Elvish. He kind of did this fictional back-formation to invent the tongue that might have influenced the first human Indo-European speakers, so he invented words that could have conceivably evolved into their modern equivalents in real-world languages. Taking my own handle as an example, huan, the Elvish word for dog, combines all the variations of the Indo-European family Tolkien was most familar with. In it you have his theoretical basis from German and Old English "hund," (modern English "hound"), Latin "canus," and Greek "kuon." It is especially a synthesis of "hund" and "kuon." These did all develop from the same root, and Tolkien used his knowledge of sound changes to trace it back to what it might have sounded like when the elves first influenced us: they were the first with a spoken language after all.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:55 PM   #12
Yapaluna
Enting

Tom Bombadil

Huan´s analysis seems to me quite right.

Watching the FotR-video very often I remember only two words that Arwen uses when she makes the river wash away the ringwraiths. They are "Bruinen" and "Hithaeglir". She pronounces them the way I would have done it if I had to read them loud (in the book).

Her language seems to me being Sindarin and not Quenya. Am I right? All these "th" in it is not usual in Quenya.
Yapaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 06:23 PM   #13
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yes, all of the Elvish spoken is Sindarin, I believe, as Quenya is really a form of "book-Elvish."

Sad to say, but I have memorised her River-calling spell.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 09:58 PM   #14
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Sad to say, but I have memorised her River-calling spell.
Sad indeed!

--Linaewen
Old 02-08-2003, 08:15 AM   #15
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
Quenya was based on Latin, Finnish and Italian (I think)
No, you've got it backwards. Latin and Finnish were based on Quenya, and Italian was based on latin.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 02:03 AM   #16
Huan
Elven Warrior

Thank you, Yapaluna.