Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-30-2003, 05:54 PM   #1
Yapaluna
Enting

Religion, is it really good for you?

I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey.

Reading all the replies on gay, lesbian and so on I think a discussion on religion, especially the christian believes and their influence on our world might be interesting. I was surprised how many people in Entmood argue with the bible, what there is written and what it means for everyday´s life.

Just to start the discussion:

I think that the christian religion has come to exist because Paulus could not accept that the end of the world and the reign of god didn´t come within his lifetime. So he had to tell all the communities which are adressed by his letters to wait until St. Elsewhere. (Some of these letters are held to be falsifications by some scientists).

This is what the german scientist DESCHNER says. Could he be right?
Yapaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:16 PM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Probobly not. That's the most unlikely explaination I've heard.

Let's get this straight: Paul can't accept that the world won't come within his lifetime, and so he tells everyone to wait because it's coming soon? How about not.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
Yapaluna
Enting

Nooo!

I think my english is too bad.

The original prophecy of the messias was that the reign of god and the end of the known world would come soon. That means within the lifetime of his followers. Time passed and nothing happened. When these expectations were not fulfilled, Paulus did change the original message and told that it would come not in anybodies lifetime but when time itself has run out (or so).

Understand?
Old 01-30-2003, 06:31 PM   #4
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

You mean Paul changed the prophecy regarding Armageddon/Judgement Day?

Undoubtedly he did......as God never popped down to judge us

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:43 PM   #5
Yapaluna
Enting

Exactly! The term "Judgement Day" was what I´ve been looking for.

I consider the christian religion to be a sect of the jewish which somehow just got out of control.

Or "came" out of control? Just forgive an old dwarf for forgetting his school days, where English was taught.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:47 PM   #6
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

since there's already a religion thread and an offshoot disscusion religion thread, i still don't think i get what this one's about.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:51 PM   #7
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Oh, ok. I see what you're saying.

The jews were expecting a warlike messiah would would lead them to freedom, prosperity, and world domination.

However, it is questionable whether their expectations were reasonable. The religious authorities of that day were well known for overinterpreting things. Certainly, there was a substantial percentage of jews that believed jesus christ to be the messiah.
In that way at least, Paul did not change anything. He simply provided a better interpretation of the stuff that was there.

As to christianity's coming into existence because of paul, that's flat out impossible. It had already become well established before his conversion, which (whatever you may think about it) happened while he was attempting to stamp out christianity. Certainly he wasn't the cause of all this.

One last question: Why should I care what 'some scientists' think? I am highly skeptical that this Dershner fellow is qualified to speak on historical matters.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:10 PM   #8
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

There is tons of historical evidence that points to the existence of Jesus as a real person. There is also a lot of evidence that backs up his resurrection.

Quote:
The original prophecy of the messias was that the reign of god and the end of the known world would come soon.
Not true. The prophecies said that the Messiah would save mankind. As Wayfarer said, the Jews interpreted this to mean that the Messiah would overthrow Rome.

Quote:
When these expectations were not fulfilled, Paulus did change the original message and told that it would come not in anybodies lifetime but when time itself has run out
If you're talking about Revelation, that was written by John, not Paul
Old 01-30-2003, 07:11 PM   #9
Yapaluna
Enting

Well, all I do is read books, and Deschner has published some of them . I cannot check all the original sources that are quoted by him, but he sounded to me quite convicting.

You are right, Paul did not really found or invent the christian religion.

Besides, I didn´t notice that there is already a thread about religion. Perhaps we should close this one and join into the older thread.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:13 PM   #10
Maedhros
The Tall

To tell you the truth, I find Tolkien's legendarium more pretty and interesting than any religion.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 07:19 PM   #11
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Actually, Tolkien legendarium is, in a way, an offshoot of his religion.

Also, this Deschner chap wouldn't happen to be the same one that claims Jesus Christ and Julius Caesar and one and the same, would he?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:13 PM   #12
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Actually, Tolkien legendarium is, in a way, an offshoot of his religion.
True, true

Quote:
You are right, Paul did not really found or invent the christian religion.
Correct. In reality, Christ invented the Chrstian religion, if you can call it an invention. Paul was actually a Jew who pursucuted the Chritians in the early days of the church, and then was converted to Christianity after he had a vision from God. If you want more info, I would reccomond a great historical book... it''s called the Bible

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:44 PM   #13
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I must agree with Maedhros and say that I wish that what Tolkien wrote actually happened as far as religion goes....I am Catholic and so was Tolkien so I do have somewhat of a connection with it but still, it isn't quite the same
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 11:03 PM   #14
Admiral Ackbar
Hobbit

re

I think the question is is it good for our race Sure, it kept the peasants in line and gave 'hope' to those who had pretty crappy lives in the day but it also gave rise to the Crusades and other nasty religious conflicts.

*Note I'm referring to religion in general.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:11 PM   #15
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Interstingly I have heard people consider Paul to be the prime mover of Christianity as we know-primarily in his rejection of Jewish law as binding. Must be a Jewish thing. I'm over my head in discussing Christian theology (I don't know any to speak of) but that's what I've heard.

There are a bunch of religion threads floating here and there.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:44 PM   #16
Yapaluna
Enting

Just some informations about that Deschner chap:

Karlheinz Deschner, born 1924 in the city of Bamberg, Germany

Studied germanistics, history, philosophy and theology at the universities of Bamberg and Würzburg

Working as a free writer since 1951, member of PEN-Club.

My quotations on the start of the thread came just out of my memory and were not totally correct.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #17
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

And here's some more

*Gone Google*

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 07:01 PM   #18
Yapaluna
Enting

OK, let´s just stop this now.

Making up this thread was obviously not one of my best ideas. If you don´t mind let it fall into oblivion.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:07 PM   #19
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Yapaluna
OK, let´s just stop this now.

Making up this thread was obviously not one of my best ideas. If you don´t mind let it fall into oblivion.
*bump*
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 11:20 AM   #20
Sween
im quite stupid

anyone from england should watch God Tv channel 671 on sky truely the most scary channel ever made these people are crazy.