Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-30-2003, 07:50 AM   #1
Melkor's significant othe
Hobbit

7 Crowns.....what?

During Gandalf's and Saruman's exchange after the victory at Helm's Deep and the overthrow of Isengard, Saruman refuses to come down or hand over his staff. He mentions that Gandalf is trying to take over everything - viz. the 5 rods of the wizards (We know what that is ), also the 7 crowns of the kings ......( AND that's my query, what are the 7 crowns???? Who/where are they ?)
Ta if anyone can shed some light.
MSO
Melkor's significant othe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:16 AM   #2
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I've always thought that an error. The Nazgul represented 9 kings. No reference book I have mentions just seven.:
There is "the king of the Dead" and the "king under the mountain" if they count them its 11 kings so again 7 is not supported.

Last edited by Spock : 01-30-2003 at 08:31 AM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 12:28 PM   #3
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

It's worth looking into.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:30 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

In the earlier evolution of LOTR (HoME 6) there were only seven black riders. Or perhaps it's referring to the seven 'houses' of the dwarves? -- Also mentioned in HoME 6.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:49 PM   #5
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Hmm....King of Gondor, King of Rohan, King under the Mountain...More I'm sure. But if it meant the Nazgul, wouldn't that be 7 Rings?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:19 PM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I always thought it had something to do with the saying "seven stars and seven stones and one white tree". But I would say it's pretty safe that it's NOT a mistake - he went over every sentence so many times that it's not likely. I think most probably it's what he talked about, probably in "Letters" - how it's nice having some thing NOT explained in a story - it gives it more of a feeling of depth, and of unexplored vistas, and more tales to tell if only there was enough time, etc.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:22 PM   #7
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

I believe there were Seven Kings of Rohan since Saruman came to Isengard. That may have something to do with it. (I think there were seven kings, but I'm not sure.)
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:06 PM   #8
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

There's probably somethinh in the HoME sries, like BoP said. Or maybe Tolkien made a mistake

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:17 PM   #9
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
There's probably somethinh in the HoME sries, like BoP said. Or maybe Tolkien made a mistake
How dare you come up with such an accusation!
Old 01-30-2003, 08:17 PM   #10
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Oh, I'm just one of those teenage trouble-makers...

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:28 PM   #11
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti
Elven Warrior

I agree with Rian that it probably wasnt a mistake.

"Vires decusque."
Ma Uai: Ua Nemti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 01:29 AM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I dunno... I've only read the first of the LOTR histories, and there are a few oversights, ie distances and stuff.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:10 AM   #13
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I'm with BoP. Yeah Tolkien worked hard with details, but even he wasn't perfect, and according to himself he didn't have enough time to do everything as thoroughly as he would prefer.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:52 AM   #14
The Warden of the Keys
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Inderjit Sanghera
I believe there were Seven Kings of Rohan since Saruman came to Isengard. That may have something to do with it. (I think there were seven kings, but I'm not sure.)
Théoden was the eighth King of the Mark since Saruman set up shop in Isengard: (Fréaláf, Brytta, Walda, Folca, Folcwine, Fengel, Thengel, Théoden). You might be correct, but I can't help thinking that the "crowns of seven kings" has a more important meaning then the Kings of Rohan. Saruman lumped "crowns of seven kings" and "the rods of the Five Wizards" together. Only Gandalf would have know what "Five Wizards" meant, so I think the crowns part must have had a deeper meaning
The Warden of the Keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 10:57 AM   #15
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Oh, I'm just one of those teenage trouble-makers...
Now, when I was young [read: yesterday] we had respect...grumble...todays youth...grumble...

I too think that "the Crowns of the seven Kings" would have some deeper meaning than the kings of Rohan...
Old 01-31-2003, 01:58 PM   #16
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
In the earlier evolution of LOTR (HoME 6) there were only seven black riders. Or perhaps it's referring to the seven 'houses' of the dwarves? -- Also mentioned in HoME 6.
YEP BUT that's why they didn't hold sway over the elves intervention after the attack at Bree. They didn't have the necessary numbers. Of course this is another question/answer entirely.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:27 PM   #17
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: 7 Crowns.....what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Melkor's significant othe
viz. the 5 rods of the wizards (We know what that is )
We do? I don't, care to tell me
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 11:39 PM   #18
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast, Morentar and Romenstar
Old 01-31-2003, 11:52 PM   #19
azalea
Long lost mooter

Just a knife in the dark here (yuk yuk), but maybe he means the seven kings of the races left in the world, so he means Gandalf is trying to legitimize a world takeover? It could mean Thranduil, Elrond, Celeborn, Dain (he's still the dwarf king then, right?), Theoden, Gondor (king or steward there, but it's symbolic I guess), and ??? I realize Celeborn and Elrond weren't technically kings (or were they? I don't think so) Anyway, it's a thought. (That he's trying to win over those kings to his rule by underhanded means -- which is of course absurd).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 12:23 AM   #20
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast, Morentar and Romenstar
I know who the 5 wizards are, but it says rods....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote