Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2003, 01:02 AM   #1
francod
Enting

Tom Bombadil balrog

how powerful are the balrogs? are they soldiers or management? If sauron had an a list dinner party, would a balrog be invited?
francod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:30 AM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Is this a serious question? The Balrogs were Maiar. They were servants of Morgoth.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:36 AM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Re: balrog

Quote:
Originally posted by francod
how powerful are the balrogs?
Extrordinarily powerful. Next to Sauron there is no worse bad guy you want to run into.

Quote:
are they soldiers or management?
um I would say both. Perhaps a better analogy would be they are high military brass. field generals and such. second only to the four star generals.

Quote:
If sauron had an a list dinner party, would a balrog be invited?
well maybe if it was a barbacue. plus theyd get long flaming whip marks on your best linens.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:43 AM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Good answers Rex.

Quote:
well maybe if it was a barbacue. plus theyd get long flaming whip marks on your best linens.
Gosh, my sense of humor is asleep. zzzzzzz! I shouldn't have been such a stick in the mud in my first post. After reading your witty analogy, I feel like I was a mean moderator.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-23-2003, 08:02 AM   #5
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Gosh, my sense of humor is asleep. zzzzzzz! I shouldn't have been such a stick in the mud in my first post. After reading your witty analogy, I feel like I was a mean moderator.
aw. hey if i had been through more then 60,000 messages on here Id probably think "oh great not another comedian" myself. Im just an enting I believe. I havent seen it all 30 times before yet. Plus it was late and I was feeling a bit loopy. Plus I have certain friends who post like this all the time so Im used to it......

Old 01-23-2003, 01:05 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-23-2003, 05:10 PM   #7
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Re: Re: balrog

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Perhaps a better analogy would be they are high military brass. field generals and such. second only to the four star generals.
So what would the Four star generals Be? RingWraiths?

Quote:
LOL

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 05:12 PM   #8
Fingolfin_1st
Elven Warrior

i believe that there is one other race mightier than balrogs and they are the dragons!
and i quote ''the most terrible of the maiar spirits who became servants of melkor,the dark enemy.in middle earth were called balrogs ''demons of might'' of all melkors creatures, only Dragons were greater in power''

and if i was a dark lord my four star generals would be:

1st-ANCALAGON THE BLACK - first dragon to enter the world.

2ND-UNGOLIANT - spider of vast strenght helped melkor destroy trees of valor and nearly consumed him if it wasnt for the balrogs

3rd-GOTHMOG - balrog and high captain of angband.he slew feanor,fingon and ecthelion all powerful noldor elves

4th-SAURON-i guess evil,lord of the rings but to be honest i dont really like him

note:if i could i would have melkor as my 1st general and sauron wouldnt be there
Old 01-25-2003, 05:46 PM   #9
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Ancalagon was the first flying dragon. Glaurong was the first Dragon (please correct me if I'm wrong )
Old 01-25-2003, 06:05 PM   #10
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Your are correct. Glaurong was the first dragon, and seem to be the most powerful in term of magic and midn control. Alcognon is the first Flying dragon, and extremely powefeful in combat. Glaurong appeared to the commander of Morgoths eastern army in the two big battles, as well as commanding the expedition against Nargothrond. Gothmog lord of Balrogs appears to have been Morgoth comander in the west, or perhaps the overall comander for the Nirnaeth, and the commander for the attack on Gondolin. None of these commands is spelled out in black letter, except Glaurong against Nargothrond, , but they are strong inferences.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 01-25-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 06:12 PM   #11
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Ungoliant ws never a servant or subordinate of Melkor, both rather a short time mercenary ally, just for the destrution of the trees. She was later his (and everybody esle's) enemy.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 10:46 PM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
Ungoliant ws never a servant or subordinate of Melkor, both rather a short time mercenary ally, just for the destrution of the trees. She was later his (and everybody esle's) enemy.
Absolutely. Ungoliant was a free radical and a rouge spirit in every sense of the words. She certainly wouldnt have made a good soldier let alone a general. She would probably eat all the orcs. Probably another reason why tolkien picked a spider to play this roll as short term hired killer. Spiders are solitary creatures naturally. Eat their young and their mates just for the heck of it if im not mistaken.

But sauron has to be considered melkors second in command basically almost from the start as he has (had then) the strongest military potential of all the evil maiar in that he was very good at controlling underlings (soldiers) by fear, respect, guile, or sheer force of will. He thought like a true strategist and chess player and well basically he had "evil leader" written all over him. The Balrogs were as much frightening beasts and killing machines as they were highly intelligent leaders and the dragons well how does a dragon run an army? A dragon is a weapon.

Old 01-26-2003, 11:44 AM   #13
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

Quote:
''the most terrible of the maiar spirits who became servants of melkor,the dark enemy.in middle earth were called balrogs ''demons of might'' of all melkors creatures, only Dragons were greater in power''
Where did you get this quote from?
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 04:22 PM   #14
Fingolfin_1st
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

what you all say is very true but i picked these generals on the grounds that they were able to fight for me.

ungoliant would indeed be a great soldier.her unlight of ungoliant would strike fear and panic into the ranks of any force.by the time the unlight fades the armies of orcs have advanced upon you without you seeing them.and ungoliants power of bodie is absolutely incredible,melkor himself might have been overcome by her if it wasnt for his legions of balrogs to drive her away.
and yes a dragon can lead an army as glaurung has done when he was lord of nargothrond and turin lived in the forest of brethil with with his wife/sister.

even though glaurungs armie was defeated and he himself was slain just imagine if it had been acalagon instead of glaurung.he would have come down upon turin and the forest of brethil and laid it all to waste.i stick to my choice of generals.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:28 PM   #15
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Captain Stern
Where did you get this quote from?
I want to ask the same question.

Quote:
originally posted by Incidious Rex
But sauron has to be considered melkors second in command basically almost from the start as he has (had then) the strongest military potential of all the evil maiar in that he was very good at controlling underlings (soldiers) by fear, respect, guile, or sheer force of will. He thought like a true strategist and chess player and well basically he had "evil leader" written all over him. The Balrogs were as much frightening beasts and killing machines as they were highly intelligent leaders and the dragons well how does a dragon run an army? A dragon is a weapon.
He's right about Sauron. He was the strongest servant of Melkor. More then the balrogs and the dragons. (not together...)
And, I think, that dragons were clever. (as in "the hobbit", Balin said that dragons are clever, or something like this)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 04:35 PM   #16
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Fingolfin 1st
even though glaurungs armie was defeated and he himself was slain just imagine if it had been acalagon instead of glaurung.he would have come down upon turin and the forest of brethil and laid it all to waste.i stick to my choice of generals.
I always saw Glaurong as the smart dragon, and Ancalagon as the less smart... more stronger phisicly. I'm not sure if he could've do something more terrible than Glaurong.

sorry about the two posts... I didn't see his post when I posted..

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 01-26-2003 at 04:37 PM.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote