Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

The Gym

One of my new year resolutions was to hit the gym again. I joined a new gym in May last year, and up until now, I have been three times. This has cost me almost $200 US via debit order, and I have decided to stop wasting money. It's time to get back to the weights!

This idea sprang forth recently. How many 'Mooters are in the same or a similar situation as mine? Have you been neglecting your workouts? Do you want to get back into the routine? I thought if there is at least one interested 'Mooter, we might be able to set up a little thread where we could stipulate goals and record progress towards them.

Even if you are a regular gym-goer, you can participate here. I'm going to start on Feb 1. The biggest setback to my gymming was lack of motivation. I think that if my progress is monitored publically, I would be motivated not only to step foot in the gym, but actually make an effort to get into great shape.

The plan I have in mind looks like a six month stint, at least for now. If there are good results, I'll probably add another six months.

Is anybody interested?
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:54 AM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hey, I'm watching! Remember that!

I have found my figure not to change all that much when exercising. (of course, I don't lift weights, like a man would) I keep a good weight for my height and build, and have found that exercise doesn't do all that much. For all the hassle involved, I find it a bit "overrated". I'm not a couch potato though. Now aerobic capacity is another thing. I get out of breath easily, but when I tried jogging, I just wanted to die, and it didn't get better! Of course, exercise probably has more benefits than a fit bod. It is relaxing to get in the groove and release that pressure, (get the endorphins) . Still, I think it's a bit overrated. Maybe I expected too much!

Last edited by Lizra : 01-22-2003 at 10:55 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 02:20 PM   #3
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Yup, since I cut out the killer weed I'm on a bit of an exercise regime

I lift free-weights three times a week (should do more but I don't want to turn into a no-neck)

The other four days I do 15miles on the exercise bike (bit cold for real cycling) and somewhere between 20-30mins on my rowing machine.

It was a bleedin' nightmare at first but it's getting much easier to work through the exercises now.

I don't really bother with the gym yet, although I'll have to when I've reached my limit with the free-weights.......those Home Gym apparatus cost a bleedin' fortune

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 02:32 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Everyday. 30-50 minutes cardio, 150 crunches, and alternating arm and leg workouts. *Will lose that blasted weight*
Old 01-22-2003, 02:37 PM   #5
Sween
im quite stupid

My sister gets me to do Ti Bo with her when shes home !

Cannot be arsed with gyms just too many fools flexing there mucles used to go down and watch all the sweaty women.

I tend to get my exerise playing footie basketball or rugby. My dad goes for long bike rides i quite like fell walking as well.

used to get most of my exercise in the bedroom but that gone down of late baby on way though so im sure that will kept me on my toes
Old 01-22-2003, 05:12 PM   #6
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

ive been trying to do pushups every night before bed, but i keep forgetting. i need to work on my arm muscles because im going canoeing for 10 days in june right after school comes out and i need to be prepared.

this past summer i would bike up and down my street 5-10 times every morning to prep. for a bike trip. it was hot and getting up early was hell. but at least i could keep up.

ive never been to a gym, except once i went to my dads tennis lesson and there was one right next to the court. i used the bike with the little computer screen that would make it look like you were biking (but you werent moving anywhere)

yeah, thats pretty much it.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:45 AM   #7
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Lizra:
Hey, I'm watching! Remember that!
I will.

My program will consist primarily of weight training. I have always struggled to keep to a cardio routine, and I think (probably) all cardio-vascular work is going to be derived from sitting on a bike.

I intend on cycling creatine supplementation every three months. I have used the supplement twice before, and the results were worth it.

I am going to use the next few days to set out my goals, plan a comprehensive routine, and take measurements which will be monitored, probably fortnightly. I will drop by the gym to get an assessment on body-fat percentage, and other stats.

The one thing that I am not looking forward to is my first workout. The intensity of the workout is, for me, meaningless. The end result is always the same: pain. Sometimes the pain can last two weeks, which is enough to thoroughly deplete any motivation. We'll just have to see what happens.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:27 AM   #8
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I do workouts regularly. I need the aerobic capacity to do all these fun outdoor activities: skiing, mountain-hiking, cycling etc. I also think the exercise provides me with new energy, which helps me cope with all the work that goes with 3 children and a full-time job.

When I was pregnant I couldn't do workout for months, at one point I was panting when going upstairs in my own house. It was awful. But I think it's easier to get in shape if you have been fit before. It didn't take long for me to get back to my normal standards after the children were born.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:20 PM   #9
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Specs as at 28 Feb
  • Chest (under arm) circ. 110cm
  • right bicep circ. 38cm
  • left bicep circ. 36cm
  • right forearm circ. 35cm
  • left forearm circ. 35cm
  • right calf circ. 38cm
  • left calf circ. 38
  • right quad/hamstring circ. 55cm
  • left quad/hamstring circ. 55cm
  • Weight 73kg

I haven't gone for my assessment yet -- I'll try and get that done by Thursday.

I'll try and put together a routine or workout schedule by tomorrow.

I have officially stopped eating pies and cheesecake (especially those with caramel and peppermint layers). I am going to have to come up with a dietary plan pretty soon.

Oh, and I should have access to a camera at the weekend, so the probability of "before" pics looks very good.

Bye bye now.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:23 PM   #10
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
yes...ive been trying to go to the gym latley..i usually go through about 20-30 minutes on the cross trainer, then some arm weights on the machine....But since latley i've been so tired from gymnastics that ive been doing exersizes at home like 250 crunches in groups of 50 alternating with 10 pushups. I need to defiently go to the gym more..must make gymnastics team in high school!

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 09:27 PM   #11
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn

OMG yes i know how much pain can hurt....try doing gymnastics then a hard workout at the gym..ow..but ive learned..LOWER impact work outs. When im sore advil is my best friend..and you anduril must be from anywhere else but the US, cuz i have no idea how much is 73 KG..but i think the US should switch to the metric system!

Old 01-29-2003, 01:13 AM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Specs?

Why are you sharing your gym workout with the 'moot? No one cares.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:42 AM   #13
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I care.

Anyway, dearest, had you read the first post in this thread, you would have known why I decided to do this. Hazzah!

LFA, 73kg is about 161 pounds.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:11 AM   #14
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
LFA:
OMG yes i know how much pain can hurt....try doing gymnastics then a hard workout at the gym
What is a "hard workout" to you?

To me, it involves pushing until muscle failure in the desired areas. If I have a hard upper body workout, I should struggle to steer and change gears on the way home. If I have a really hard upper body workout, I am virtually unable to grip a dumbell, regardless of weight.

That's why I like creatine so much.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:54 AM   #15
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Measurement Goals

Everything needs to have increased by roughly 10% by the end of the year. IOW:
  • Chest (under arm) circ. 110cm + 11cm = 121cm
  • Right bicep circ. 38cm + 4cm = 42cm
  • Left bicep circ. 36cm + 4cm = 40cm
  • Right forearm circ. 35cm + 4cm = 39cm
  • Left forearm circ. 35cm + 4cm = 39cm
  • Right calf circ. 38cm + 4cm = 42cm
  • Left calf circ. 38cm + 4cm = 42cm
  • Right quad/hamstring circ. 55cm + 6cm = 61cm
  • Left quad/hamstring circ. 55cm + 6cm = 61cm
  • Weight 73kg + 7kg = 80kg

After the first month of training (i.e. by March 1) I will post my workout goals, concentrating on individual exercises. The first month will be used to get over the initial shock, and a possible two week pain absence. Thereafter my workouts will be far more consistent.

Bye bye now.

Last edited by Andúril : 01-29-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:30 AM   #16
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn

we hard to me is after running and using my arms for 2 hours in gymnastics, going to the gym, running (or using the cross trainer) for 3 miles, then doing push ups and arm exersizes

Old 01-29-2003, 03:03 PM   #17
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

I go to the Gym for 5 hours a week, plus I do soem exerecise at home. I go to a little gym, with little equipment, compared to say fitness first, it is only £6 membership and £2 for every time I go. Any dieticians here? I need to find out about high in protein diets, for mu luch, but most of the food served in my shcool is unhealty. Any good sandwiches that I could take? Tuna and egg maybe?
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:41 PM   #18
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Inderjit Sanghera
I go to the Gym for 5 hours a week, plus I do soem exerecise at home. I go to a little gym, with little equipment, compared to say fitness first, it is only £6 membership and £2 for every time I go. Any dieticians here? I need to find out about high in protein diets, for mu luch, but most of the food served in my shcool is unhealty. Any good sandwiches that I could take? Tuna and egg maybe?
High protein? Well tuna fish is an excellent choice as is chicken (meat only, no skin). Also nuts and pulses are pretty high in protien, a much better snack than choc or pastry.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 03:43 PM   #19
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
IS:
*snip*

I need to find out about high in protein diets, for mu luch, but most of the food served in my shcool is unhealty. Any good sandwiches that I could take? Tuna and egg maybe?
That's a good question. Your answer would depend on your body-weight and the purpose of your workouts.

If you're like me, increasing your muscle-mass is your priority. To my knowledge, this requires a high protein/low carb diet. When I was stuck into my routines a few years back, my diet consisted of a combination of tuna and chicken sandwiches for lunch. I had chicken for supper about five nights a week. I decided to go for a weat-based cereal, because it contained the highest proportion of protein (more than Corn Flakes). Every night I drank a glass of egg-nog (about eight egg whites) to top up.

To decide on my diet back then, I looked at the protein content printed on the labels of the food I already had. I just chose those things with the highest proportions that were readily available -- tuna, chicken and egg-whites.

But no dietician am I.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:26 PM   #20
Inderjit Sanghera
Elven Warrior

Muscle mass is indeed the purpose of my Gym rountine. I eat rice 3 times a week or so, Chicken at leats 5 and Pasta twice, with quite a few high in fibre Indian dishes to boot. (Currys and the such, with chappatti.) As for unhealthy eating, I do have Kebabs aroudn about twice a month, and have 3 or so packs of crisps a day, or failing that Pringles.
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote