Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 03:12 AM   #1
Firhithiel Greenleaf
Hobbit

Learning Elvish

You know what I don't get? And it's really starting to annoy me. There are a whole bunch of people out there who are learning Elvish, and I want to know how to speak it like hell, but all I can do is pick up a few lines like Namarie and Havo dad. Where do people learn Elvish?!!! Please, either answer this post or PM me. I really want to know!! --F. G.--

Aragorn picked up Frodo where he lay by the wall and made for the stair, pushing Merry and Pippin in front of him. The others followed; but Gimli had to be dragged away by Legolas: in spite of the peril he lingered by Balin's tomb with his head bowed. Boromir hauled the eastern door to, grinding upon its hinges: it had great iron rings on either side, but could not be fastened.
"I am all right," gasped Frodo. "I can walk. Put me down!"
Aragorn nearly dropped him in his amazement. "I thought you were dead!" he cried.

~~While Frodo, Sam, and Gollum are climbing the Stairs of Cirith Ungol, in The Two Towers~~

And so Gollum found them hours later, when he returned, crawling and creeping down the path out of the gloom ahead. Sam sat propped against the stone, his head dropping sideways and his breathing heavy. In his lap lay Frodo's head, drowned deep in sleep; upon his white forehead lay one of Sam's brown hands, and the other lay softly upon his master's breast. Peace was in both their faces.

If that isn't a suggestion that they're in love, I don't know *what* is!!!
Old 01-21-2003, 04:05 AM   #2
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

hmmm...as has been said before, speaking elvish (and I presume you mean High Elvish, or Quenya) is actually impossible. The grammatical structure is there, but the vocab is not. There is a thread going in the Middle Earth forum about writing english using the Tengwar characters. (here)
Closed Thread