Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2003, 03:56 PM   #1
ElfFriend
Sapling

Strider A bone to pick with Tolkien

A.) Every one gets to come back to life except Boromir...Is that fair!

B.) Was he losing his mind while writting ROTK... I mean Frodo is naked half the time and Eowyn wants to be a healer over a queen, not to mention Beregond dies in the battle of the ring and then comes back to life to be sent to defend "Prince" Faramir~ and Eowyn in Imathil*

*spelling?

~I think he became a prince...feel free to correct me
ElfFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 04:32 PM   #2
Elf Girl
Lurker

Re: A bone to pick with Tolkien

Quote:
Originally posted by ElfFriend
A.) Every one gets to come back to life except Boromir...Is that fair!

B.) Was he losing his mind while writting ROTK... I mean Frodo is naked half the time and Eowyn wants to be a healer over a queen, not to mention Beregond dies in the battle of the ring and then comes back to life to be sent to defend "Prince" Faramir~ and Eowyn in Imathil*

*spelling?

~I think he became a prince...feel free to correct me
A.) By "everyone", I take it you mean Gandalf. He is a Maiar, he can't die unless the Valar forsake him. Also Denethor died conclusively.

B.) Frodo is naked once. Eowyn sees that she cannot love Aragorn, he is spoken for, and anyway she loves Faramir more. She never had the option of being queen, and her wound made her think and decide to be a healer. I don't recall Beregond dying in the first place.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 04:46 PM   #3
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

Hmmm Elffriend I think you need to read the book a few more times. And try the Appendixes they are very helpful for the confused mind!
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 04:51 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm not sure what you're on about RE: Beregond. There were two. One was a steward, and one was a guard of Gondor.
Old 01-18-2003, 04:56 PM   #5
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

Hmmm I don't remember there being a Steward named Beregond let me consult my Book..... Ok you're right!
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 05:04 PM   #6
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I'm not sure what you're on about RE: Beregond. There were two. One was a steward, and one was a guard of Gondor.
If your'e talking to me, when I said "Beregond", I was referring to the guard, I forgot about the Steward.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 05:31 PM   #7
Huan
Elven Warrior

I don't think Tolkien was losing his mind while writing ROTK, but I too felt disappointed by the outcome of Eowyn's story. I was kind of hoping while reading the book that maybe Eowyn could somehow wind up queen of Rohan. I know it couldn't have happened, but I wanted it to. And I also never loved Faramir much, so I didn't get into their love story. My biggest beef with ROTK was that I felt Legolas and Gimli really got shortchanged. The battle goes on for pages, and in the aftermath, Tolkien finally says "Oh, and Legolas and Gimli were there too." That's the impression I remember anyway.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 05:35 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
If your'e talking to me, when I said "Beregond", I was referring to the guard, I forgot about the Steward.
Nope, I was referring to the thread starter.
Old 01-18-2003, 05:58 PM   #9
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: A bone to pick with Tolkien

Quote:
Originally posted by ElfFriend
not to mention Beregond dies in the battle of the ring and then comes back to life to be sent to defend "Prince" Faramir~ and Eowyn in Imathil*
Hey if you haven't finished reading Return of the King yet, then do so, because you will find your above reference to be otherwise....

I think he might mean when Pippin and Beregond are attacked in front of the Black Gate, this is what is written in that chapter:

"Like a storm they broke upon the line of the men of Gondor, and beat upon helm and head, and arm and shield, as smiths hewing the hot bending iron. At Pippin's side Beregond was stunned and overborne, and he fell; and the great troll-chief that smote him down bent over him, reaching out a clutching claw; for these fell creatures would bite the throats of those that they threw down.

Then Pippin stabbed upwards, and the written blade of Westernesse pierced through the hide and went deep into the vitals of the troll, and his black blood came gushing out. He toppled forward and came crashing down like a falling rock, burying those beneath him. Blackness and stench and crushing pain came upon Pippin, and his mind fell away into a great darkness."

That is from Return of the King, the chapter "The Black Gate Opens" that part is on the last page of the chapter.

When I first read that I thought they both died, I mean when it says "and the great troll-chief that smote him down" sounds like death to me, however I was pleasantly surprised later on
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 06:26 PM   #10
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Off topic: I thought
Pip died when I first read it too! I freaked out, but yeah, very happy when I kept reading

Anyways, I thought Rotk was fantastic, no beefs, Love Eowyn and Faramir together, and the parts with Frodo werent like 'ooh hes naked' it was just adding to his turmoil! Love Samwise the brave!
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 10:29 PM   #11
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Well, naked hobbits isn't exactly something new to RotK. There was that incident with Tom Bombadil...

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 12:45 AM   #12
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i thought beregond died.well now im happy
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 02:09 PM   #13
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
And I also never loved Faramir much, so I didn't get into their love story.
How can anybody not like Faramir?

About Legolas and Gimli:
I always thought that Tolkien mentioned them too less. I mean I didn't realize that they already had left until I realized that they were not mentioned anymore in RotK. If you know what I mean.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:17 PM   #14
Silverleaf
Hobbit

~I know what you mean about Legolas and Gimli and when they leave I really couldn't tell but had to assume thats when they left.
~The only problem I have is about Frodo he seems...so very very dependent on Sam and it bugs me sometimes.

Namárië
Your heart will be true
You walk a lonely road
Oh! How are you are from home
Mornie utulie
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantie
A promise lives within you now May it be shadows call
Will fly away
May it be your journey on
To light the day
When the night is overcome
You may rise to find the sun
Mornie utulie
Believe and you will find your way
Mornie alantie
A promise lives within you now
A promise lives within you now
Silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:43 PM   #15
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

And I know what you mean silverleaf. It was kinda strange that Sam lived in Frodos "house" in the end.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:08 PM   #16
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I'd say Sam is subordinate to Frodo.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:38 PM   #17
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Sam was the servant of the house. Also, Frodo was terribly worn by bearing the Ring. I'm sorry, but I fail to see what bugs?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 01:44 AM   #18
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Plus, Frodo had Bag End all to himself- I imagine he would have gotten lonely without Bilbo or Sam. They had become quite close, I'd imagine, during their journey.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:18 AM   #19
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I wouldn't have said anything, if Sam moved to Frodo alone, but Sam was married and had children.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:22 AM   #20
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Sam served Frodo-why would he move out. How, on servant's wages would he move out. The Shire is modeled on England. Servants lived with their masters.