Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-16-2003, 07:37 PM   #1
mynameismacaroni
Sapling

stereotypes

i have not read the books, and i have seen the movies, and i do not call legolas "the hot blond guy" and aragorn "that one guy" and borimir "that other guy" and gandalf "that old wizard" and orcs "those disgusting things" and ents "those walking talking trees" and all those other things that you have claimed people to use who have not read the books. that is very stereotypical. none of the people i know who have not read the books use any of those names and i would like to bring it to your attention that not everyone is that dull witted and oblivious to what people in the movie are saying.
of course, when they do not mention the name wargs in TTT, of course people who havent read the book could not have an idea what they would be called. so you cant get mad at them for not knowing the names.
im just trying to say not to be so stereotypical, that is all.
mynameismacaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:40 PM   #2
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

we know...we were talking *specifically* about people/friends we know like that(and how it bugs us), not making the general claim that *all* people that havent read the book are dimwitted and dont know any better.... Er, yeah...welcome to the moot.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:44 PM   #3
Huan
Elven Warrior

Fair enough. Incidentally, though, they do say the name warg in the movie, a few times. But the point is taken; not all who haven't read the books are dull-witted. However, now that you are a fan of the movies, why not go ahead and read the book?
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:48 PM   #4
lomilalaith
Sapling

I understand what u r saying...

Yea, I hear you, and i know what u mean. sure, ppl who have not read the books but seen the movies can be bashed a bit- but if you think about it, lots of times ppl do talk about the movie like its just some cool action flick w/ cute guys and some crazy sets.

so middle earth obsessives can be a bit vicious, dont let it bother you. we just really love the books, and that essence that cant completely be captured in any movie.

i completely love the movies, and all the effort and care that went into them. i absolutely loved the books, and do, every time i read them.

my advice? just read them, and you'll no longer be only a movie fan- and ppl will stop being snotty on these boards
lomilalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:04 PM   #5
mynameismacaroni
Sapling

yah, im starting the hobbit
Old 01-16-2003, 09:27 PM   #6
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

poking fun at movie fans who haven't read the books is a lot like telling dumb blonde jokes. some people love blonde jokes, some people groan, and some people (blondes) get offended. But really, it's a joke, and it's all in fun

We're glad you've decided to start reading the books, and before I forget, welcome to Entmoot!

(love you're avatar, btw--but isn't it spelled "silly putty"?)
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:51 PM   #7
mynameismacaroni
Sapling

well the avatar is my AIM buddy icon, so i diddnt make it
Old 01-16-2003, 10:13 PM   #8
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by mynameismacaroni
yah, im starting the hobbit
Great book to start with, it really sets a lot up
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:20 PM   #9
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I don't believe anyone on Entmoot has been stereotyping anybody who has not read the book. Maybe you are thinking of the thread where people reported what thier friends had said. But these things (like refering to Legolas as 'the hot blonde guy') are what we hear! We arn't stereotyping, just reporting what we heard. It's made clear in the movie that blonde elf is called Legolas. A bit of a change now, isn't it? People who had become obsessed with LOTR were once (and still are) stereotyped.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:31 PM   #10
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I don't believe anyone on Entmoot has been stereotyping anybody who has not read the book. Maybe you are thinking of the thread where people reported what thier friends had said. But these things (like refering to Legolas as 'the hot blonde guy') are what we hear! We arn't stereotyping, just reporting what we heard. It's made clear in the movie that blonde elf is called Legolas. A bit of a change now, isn't it? People who had become obsessed with LOTR were once (and still are) stereotyped.
What ever cassiopeia, you you you you Viggoholic! Take that!!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:44 PM   #11
mynameismacaroni
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
a few people that i have talked to, DO, stereotype people that havent read the book, and think they shlouldnt be talking about the movie if they havent read the book (not all, but a few)
Old 01-16-2003, 11:49 PM   #12
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
What ever cassiopeia, you you you you Viggoholic! Take that!!
Don't stereotype me cause I am a Viggoholic! It's an illness, you know.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:41 AM   #13
Huan
Elven Warrior

Hmph. I thought my mother's Viggoholism would inspire her to read the book. No such luck.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote