Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2003, 06:38 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Gandalf This is a must for your favorites list....

I've been visiting this site for quite some time now whenever something pops into my head about any of Tolkien's works or just to sit down and read more about the things I don't know about Middle Earth. This is by far the most extensive compilation I have ever seen of Tolkien's works online. Check it out when you get a chance....

The Encylopedia of Arda

Dúnadain
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 08:42 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yeah, the Encyclopedia of Arda has been around for a long time. It's not a bad reference center, but it doesn't seem to be updated too frequently, because it still shows some inaccurate information from the Silmarillion that was corrected in the HoMe series. For instance, the parentage of Orodreth and Gil-galad. It says that Orodreth is the son of Finarfin, and Gil-galad is the son of Fingon. All that is wrong.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 08:46 PM   #3
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I've gotta check out these HoMe series that I keep seeing, I've never heard of them, lol
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-06-2003, 09:34 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnadain
I've gotta check out these HoMe series that I keep seeing, I've never heard of them, lol
Yep, they are some good but hard reading.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:51 AM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, very hard reading. I'm fine with the Tolkien bits, but whenever that bratty kid pokes his editorial in...

The encyclopedia of arda is good for a quick reference, but I would never use the information without checking the sources first.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 01-07-2003 at 12:53 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 01:24 AM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I'm fine with the Tolkien bits, but whenever that bratty kid pokes his editorial in...
* hee hee *

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM   #7
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
The link doesn't work for me .
Do you know what could be wrong?

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 09:32 AM   #8
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

It is working now, if the link doesn't work, just type it into the space.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:53 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

It doesn't work for me either; hasn't done for the last week or so. However, only the main page is coming up with the error message. If I do a search in google pairing the EoA with my search criteria (eg EoA and Turin), I can then link directly to the search results page of EoA which works fine. Weird.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:10 AM   #10
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I think they've been having server problems since TTT came out, I've noticed it being very slow and crashing a lot as of late, that's probably why as well....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen