Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-04-2003, 10:05 AM   #1
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Gollum Why did Bilbo age so quickly, yet Gollum remained youthful?

Why did Bilbo get so decrepit after giving up the ring, yet Gollum remained agile and youthful enough to travel, after an even longer period with, then without the ring?
Old 01-04-2003, 02:26 PM   #2
Legolas_GreenLeaf
Elven Warrior

What do you mean when you say "agile and youthful to travel"? I think I'm just misunderstanding your question..

All fans of Elijah, Orlando, Sean, Billy, and Dom (no Viggo )should go here -----> http://www.bagendinn.com/castpics.htm
Legolas_GreenLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 03:18 PM   #3
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Gollum had the ring for what, 600 years? Bilbo only carried it for 60. My guess would be that the longer you carry it, the longer lasting its effects would be.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Re: Why did Bilbo age so quickly, yet Gollum remained youthful?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Why did Bilbo get so decrepit after giving up the ring, yet Gollum remained agile and youthful enough to travel, after an even longer period with, then without the ring?
Maybe because Bilbo didn't lose the Ring, but really gave it up, whereas Gollum lost it and ever tried to regain it. The Ring still held power over Gollum, but not over Bilbo.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:57 PM   #5
azalea
Long lost mooter

Hey, didn't I address this in another forum?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 04:51 PM   #6
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I would add that the Ring took over almost all of Gollum, but touched Bilbo very little. Therefore Gollum was sort of a minor Ringwraith, with different characteristics due the the difference in the Rings involved.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:57 PM   #7
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
Gollum had the ring for what, 600 years? Bilbo only carried it for 60. My guess would be that the longer you carry it, the longer lasting its effects would be.
That would make sense. Also remember that Bilbo and Smeagol were diffrent kinds of Hobbits(if Smeagol was really a Hobbit at all), and Gollum constantly had the RIng on, unlike Biblbo.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 05:01 PM   #8
Attalus

Theoden

Gandalf said that Smeagol's people were "the fathers of the fathers of the Stoors." Smeagol didn't wear the ring constantly, but hid it for whiles. That was how Bilbo found it.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:56 PM   #9
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Hey, didn't I address this in another forum?
My search on Bilbo's age didn't bring much, if this is somewhere else, I'd like to read it!

Bilbo was a tottering arthritic old geezer there at the end in Rivendell, constantly nodding off, unable to travel the paths of Mirkwood, the Lonely Mountain etc. (as he wished)

Gollum was catching fish by hand, leaping, slinking, and hopping about with ease, taking the Hobbits to Mordor. I was at a loss for an explanation when someone asked me this!
Old 01-04-2003, 06:11 PM   #10
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus
Smeagol didn't wear the ring constantly, but hid it for whiles.
Actually, I meant that Gollum was constantally thinking about the Ring, and obsessing over it

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 03:04 AM   #11
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

There are a lot of great points here and I think it is definitely a combination of them all. First and foremost is the shear length of time that the ring was in Gollum's keeping. He held it for over 500 years and it completely consumed him, all that he was and all that he knew. I guess you could say he became one with the ring or even became the ring itself. As was said above, he was so obssessed with the ring that his will to live and go one was just that, whereas with Bilbo it wasn't so. Granted Bilbo held the ring and craved it, but it didn't consume him as it did Gollum. Overall though, I think the whole time period is the difference here because Gollum was transformed, you can even see the entire different persona of him in the book when he speaks to his multiple personalities....
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 03:10 AM   #12
Huan
Elven Warrior

I think the length of time spent with the Ring is the important thing. By the time Gollum lost the Ring, it had already quite thoroughly done its work on him. Bilbo, on the other hand, had only just begun to "go Gollum." He was, after all, beginning to feel "sort of stretched, like." I like to think that it was in fact a VERY near miss, that he was at the precise turning point, where he could keep the Ring and become another Gollum (or another Sauron can you imagine!), or "fade into the West" as they say.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 03:39 AM   #13
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Huan
Bilbo, on the other hand, had only just begun to "go Gollum."
LMAO, that was great
Old 01-05-2003, 04:05 AM   #14
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I agree with what everyone else has said, but I have another point to make: Smeagol was evil (or at least not 'good') before he got the ring, wasn't he? He did kill Deagol for it. So maybe the ring had a greater influence on Gollum because he was evil in the beginning and therefore the ring had a greater influence over him, so he didn't age as much when he lost the ring. (I hope that makes sense).
Old 01-05-2003, 04:12 AM   #15
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I agree with what everyone else has said, but I have another point to make: Smeagol was evil (or at least not 'good') before he got the ring, wasn't he? He did kill Deagol for it. So maybe the ring had a greater influence on Gollum because he was evil in the beginning and therefore the ring had a greater influence over him, so he didn't age as much when he lost the ring. (I hope that makes sense).
Actually no, the story is said that Smeagol was well liked and was friendly among those who knew him. However the thing that made him kill Deagol was the ring itself. The ring grasped him when he saw it, and it was the ring that made him act in that evil manner. It took him before he even had it...
Old 01-05-2003, 04:29 AM   #16
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnadain
Actually no, the story is said that Smeagol was well liked and was friendly among those who knew him. However the thing that made him kill Deagol was the ring itself. The ring grasped him when he saw it, and it was the ring that made him act in that evil manner. It took him before he even had it...
Yup, you are right, I just checked, it certainly doesn't say in the FOTR that Smeagol was evil before seeing the ring. I somehow got it into my head he was evil before the ring was found. Must be those stupid fangirl threads.

Last edited by cassiopeia : 01-05-2003 at 04:30 AM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 11:28 AM   #17
Attalus

Theoden

We, in fact know little about Gollum before the Ring came into his life. We know that Deagol gave him an expensive birthday present, so that he must have had some redeeming qualities. But, apparently the Ring knew that his capacity for evil was far more than Deagol's, and so ensnared him, instead.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:03 PM   #18
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
My search on Bilbo's age didn't bring much, if this is somewhere else, I'd like to read it!
I was kidding, I thought you started this because you had seen my answer to this same question that was asked a few days ago in the Gollum thread in the Hobbit forum, and wanted more opinions!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 06:09 PM   #19
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I think I stumbled over that recently. I see the point you all are making, but I would be more likely to think....Gollum had the ring much longer, so was technically "older", so when he lost his precious, he aged rapidly and dramatically. Wouldn't be a very interesting story though!

Last edited by Lizra : 01-10-2003 at 10:46 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 08:54 AM   #20
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
Well, I suppose it was his old arthritic hip that broke and sent him tumbling into the Cracks of Doom.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote