Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-19-2002, 06:36 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

ROTK: Paths of the Dead lead from Helm's Deep?

It is my firm belief that the Paths of the Dead lead out from behind Helm's Deep, in the film of The Return of the King.

Here's my rationale for making such a claim:

- No Dunharrow in the film. Doesn't make sense to just stick it in there now.

- Eowyn is already there - you can get the parting between Aragorn and Eowyn going, assuming she just stays there while everybody else walks off to Isengard.

- At a point in TTT, Aragorn asks if there is any other way out of the caves, and the reply is that there is one other way out back. This is right before Aragorn and Theoden charge the enemy. Now, seeing how this "last-ditch secret passage" isn't even used here, I'm pretty sure the point is to establish the entrance to the Paths of the Dead in ROTK.

Thoughts?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:12 PM   #2
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

It sounds possible...When I think of it, it even sounds probable! Though I was hoping to see how they pictured Dunharrow and all those statues of the Woses...
Old 12-20-2002, 01:46 AM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

A part of me really doubts the Woses will be in at all, unfortunately. Of course, I could be wrong. They could always get John Rhys-Davies to do a third role as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:49 PM   #4
SamwiseGamgeeOTS
Elven Warrior

Location: A quaint little hole which last time I checked was somewhere near Ohio, Middle-Earth.
Sam Gamgee

Hey, I think that that is definatly an option. But, i was really disapointed about the ending of TTT and how the Fellowship is still how they are. I wanted Gandalf to go get Pippin and take him to Gondor, but I guess that's not gonna happen. IM me with comments!
Old 12-21-2002, 11:46 AM   #5
Warrior
Hobbit

they could do it that way, but i think another way they could do it is when they march to Isengard Theoden could send everyone to Dunharrow since Helm's Deep has a big whole in its wall and it gates are smashed, it leaves all the women and children vulnerable since the men are off to Isengard.
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 02:03 AM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: ROTK: Paths of the Dead lead from Helm's Deep?

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
It is my firm belief that the Paths of the Dead lead out from behind Helm's Deep, in the film of The Return of the King.

Here's my rationale for making such a claim:

- No Dunharrow in the film. Doesn't make sense to just stick it in there now.

- Eowyn is already there - you can get the parting between Aragorn and Eowyn going, assuming she just stays there while everybody else walks off to Isengard.

- At a point in TTT, Aragorn asks if there is any other way out of the caves, and the reply is that there is one other way out back. This is right before Aragorn and Theoden charge the enemy. Now, seeing how this "last-ditch secret passage" isn't even used here, I'm pretty sure the point is to establish the entrance to the Paths of the Dead in ROTK.

Thoughts?

I think you make some really valid points. This is one of the things I have been thinking about a lot, because I want to the see The Paths of the Dead more than anything in the next movie. I think with the effects they've done so far, the PotD should be wicked!!

Someone above also mentioned getting "John Rhys-Davies a third role"? What is his second role?
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:16 PM   #7
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

The voice of Treebeard
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:20 PM   #8
legolasluvr2931
Hobbit

I am totally confused!
legolasluvr2931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 05:53 PM   #9
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by legolasluvr2931
I am totally confused!
About what?

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 06:22 PM   #10
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by squinteyedsoutherner
The voice of Treebeard
Wow, I didn't know that, cool
Old 01-06-2003, 09:26 AM   #11
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
I think that they will omit the Paths of the Dead.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 06:06 PM   #12
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
I think that they will omit the Paths of the Dead.
No way, that is one of the most important points of the book!
Old 01-06-2003, 06:19 PM   #13
HobbitLady
Sapling

Re: Re: ROTK: Paths of the Dead lead from Helm's Deep?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnadain
I think you make some really valid points. This is one of the things I have been thinking about a lot, because I want to the see The Paths of the Dead more than anything in the next movie. I think with the effects they've done so far, the PotD should be wicked!!
I agree, I can't wait to see how they do it. It one of my favorite parts in the book! They did the Dead Marshes so well, I can't even imagine how amazing the Paths of the Dead with turn out to be.
HobbitLady is offline   Reply With Quote