Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-18-2002, 01:26 PM   #1
legolas_2002
Sapling

beards....

hey peeps, does anyone know if sean beans beard in FOTR is real?

Also why are all men depicted as having beards? does it actually mention this in any of the books?

Another point, is there a pubity age for dwarves (who posses notoriously lovely, fulsome facial hair), as a young dwarf, i would imagine, would look rather similar to a fully grown hobbit man...

a swift and imaginitive reply would be much appreiciated...
legolas_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 01:31 PM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Also why are all men depicted as having beards? does it actually mention this in any of the books?
Let us ponder this for a moment (aka THINK!)

If you were crossing hundreds of miles of wilderness, sleeping on the ground, and foraging for food, do you think YOU would be bothered to shave regularly?

Not to mention the lack of razors, mirrors, or shaving gel.

Quote:
Another point, is there a pubity age for dwarves (who posses notoriously lovely, fulsome facial hair), as a young dwarf, i would imagine, would look rather similar to a fully grown hobbit man...
I do not know when dwarves mature sexually, but tolkien did once say that they had beards from the day they were born.

Not thick ones, nescessarily, but downy stuff like human babies are born with on their heads.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:36 PM   #3
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

yes, his beard is real.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:39 PM   #4
legolas_2002
Sapling

well, not all men live in the wilderness. and not all of them are scruffy! boromir has a beautifully trimmed little goatee, as does theoden. so why oh why must they all have beards?
do the istari not get a little jealous? they all have lovely beards, and have done for much longer than the men of middle earth have, although its the mens beards who get all the credit these days....however i digress.

why do the elves not have beards? surely this would help to distinguish them from each other, which is nigh on impossible at a single glance currently.

does anyone think that galadriel should grow a little beard? i believe it would set her out marvellously.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:19 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Cirdan had a beard.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:34 PM   #6
legolas_2002
Sapling

as well he did my friend, and more fool everyone else for not following his lead...especially that elf-witch galadriel. i hate her! especially her wimpy less-than-impressive protayal in the FOTR. arwen rules, galadriel sux (although im sure many ppl out there will disagree!)
also, does anyone think gandalf the white looks slightly tacky?! with his newly bleached beard (AHHHHHHHHHH not the beard!) and his toys-r-us staff...?! he looks like a moron, not like a newly promoted head of the Istari! but alas, who am i to judge?
anyother thing....saraman created the uruk-hai didnt he? just the origin of orcs in general is pissing me off. theres so many, under so many different names... help would be nice!
thankyou...
Old 12-18-2002, 03:54 PM   #7
DraztiK
Enting

Quote:
saraman created the uruk-hai didnt he?
According to the movies, yes. According to the books, NO.

Our Armies in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales
Our Brothers in Belgium, Holland and France will not fail.
Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy,
Switzerland, Austria, back to the Glory of Germany!
~Manowar - Blood of the Kings~
DraztiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 11:54 AM   #8
legolas_2002
Sapling

maybe the beard obsession is down to p.j, being a sporter of a big, but rather scruffy beard himself....

....just a thought
Old 12-21-2002, 12:50 AM   #9
Millane
The Dude

I happen to agree with you Movie Galadriel sucks and Arwen was awesome i thought ( mainly the looks factor i must admit) but i was pinning because the movie seems to be out in every country but australia and so i decided to go and read the book again and Book Galadriel was good but then again so was Book Haldir

do the beards really matter. thats just like me asking why Arwen didnt have a mullet instead of long hair. Boromirs and Theodens look very cool as does Aragorns roughnut look... i think beards just look right with them. the elves not having beards helps distinguish them from the ruggard look of the mortal man...
Old 12-22-2002, 02:23 PM   #10
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

I totally agree with you... on the whole no beards on elves helps distinguish them. Besides Orlando Bloom/Legolas would not look nearly as cute with a beard! I think he looks terrible without his long silky blond hair!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 01:49 PM   #11
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
G*mlis beard was real?
How did they film in Moria when he was just hanging by his beard!

*OUCH*
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 04:05 PM   #12
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackboar
G*mlis beard was real?
How did they film in Moria when he was just hanging by his beard!
*OUCH*
I don't remember that scene, is it just in the extended versin, or in the normal one? I haven't seen the extended version yet... I asked for it for Christmas.

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 04:45 PM   #13
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
No Gimlis' beard was not real...it was put on by a makeup person. Johny Rhys Davies has black hair...not red

I beg to differ with you Draztik. Saruman DID make the Uruk-Hai. Didn't Gandalf mention the army of Orcs that Saruman breeds to overcome Rohan in the FOTR book? And remember how Grishnak wanted to meet the Nazgul at the river with the hobbits and that Ugluk(who says quite clearly he is Uruk Hai) wouldn't let him? Now WHY would the Uruk-hai (if they were Mordorian) want to go to Isengard with the hobbits and not meet the Nazgul like Grishnak (a mordorian) wanted? I rest MY case.

There are two different types of orcs Legolas...the Uruks and the Uruk-Hai. Uruks were created by Melkor out of envy and mockery of the elves...the first true orcs were actually elves who were caught by Melkor and tortured into their new forms(which MIGHT be the basis for the hatred the orcs have for Sauron). True orcs are bent out of shape with bowleggs and twisted bodies. They also cant stand the light of day and cant run very far even at night.
Uruk Hai are a stronger more able breed of orcs. They're straighter in form and shape and can basically do anything the original Uruks cant...like run during the day(probably because of their human genes). The Uruk-hai were the orcs who captured Merry and Pippin and who were destroyed by the Hurouns at Helms Deep.
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...

Last edited by samwise of the shire : 12-24-2002 at 04:46 PM.
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 05:57 PM   #14
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Sauron was the original creator of the Uruks, I believe, but many of them swore fealty to Saruman.

You are wrong about Uruks and Uruk-hai. While Uruk is actually BS for orc, it is used as the singular; Uruks is plural, and Uruk-hai means the entire race, I believe.

I'm pretty sure that it was never certain where the Uruk-hai came from; some theorize that they were a mixture between the orcs and men; but doesn't that give us half-orcs, like the Chief's Ruffians?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 03:16 PM   #15
azalea
Long lost mooter

Here is a good thread with a debate about Uruk-hai that may or may not answer your questions.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote