Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2002, 04:19 PM   #1
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

So... who's dressing up for TTT?

I'm personally going to wear a gold ring around my neck on a silver chain. Not very elaborate, I know, but at least it's something

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 05:24 PM   #2
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I do that anyway I love my one ring replica.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 05:27 PM   #3
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I want to dress up in a elven dress! A really pretty one like Arwen!
I am going to make it myself but I havn'tdone it yet so i might wear it for Return Of The King!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 05:37 PM   #4
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I want to make one too! Tell me when you make yours ok? It would be so cool turning up to the cinema in an elven dress >imagines the look on people's faces< lol

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Old 12-15-2002, 05:50 PM   #5
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

hmmm! especially the people we knew!! They would never speak to us again! Well some of them!!
Mine's going to be white and it's gonna look really nice but it's kinda hard to explain so I'll leave it at that!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 05:57 PM   #6
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

If i were making one it would either be dark green or, like you Varda, white. It would be really cool.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

Old 12-15-2002, 06:25 PM   #7
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

hmmm I think me and my friends will prolly go with rings on a chain. I think I'll take a sword, security would just love me!
Old 12-15-2002, 07:04 PM   #8
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

me too! My cheap one ring replica on a chain, some leather cuff thingy, green clothes...just for the spirit of it all.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 07:31 PM   #9
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

You know, you guys are going to hate me after this post, but I am going to the movie opening night against my better judgement. I hate this whole dressing up stuff and I hated it with Star Trek too, which I am a big fan of.

Why can't you just love the books and be a fan of the story without going to such an extream? A normal intellignt person would not do that. The story is in its own way sacred. The movie is fine, but don't take it to an extream of where it commercializes the story and changes its appriciation by people that have been devoted to the books for years.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:29 PM   #10
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Why can't you just love the books and be a fan of the story without going to such an extream?
I agree with you totally about that. Why dress up? To prove you are a "true" fan or something? I don't think so!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:34 PM   #11
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
I agree with you totally about that. Why dress up? To prove you are a "true" fan or something? I don't think so!
Thank you. It takes something away from its true value, and it's just plain silly.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-15-2002, 09:26 PM   #12
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I would have to agree that dressing up for the film is pretty moronic. Talk about chances of being cool being ruined for life....
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 10:22 PM   #13
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I'm dressing up in my finest mystic dwarven clothes on top of my casual attire. You won't be able to see it unless you have mithril in your possession.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 05:48 AM   #14
Draken
Elf Lord

Umm I don't think anyone was saying dressing up was compulsory so far as I know. Personally I'll be going in my standard jeans and a rugby league replica shirt of some description, but if others want to dress up, fine.

Loosen up, folks, it's only a film!

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 06:41 AM   #15
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Quote:
Originally posted by Draken
Umm I don't think anyone was saying dressing up was compulsory so far as I know. Personally I'll be going in my standard jeans and a rugby league replica shirt of some description, but if others want to dress up, fine.

Hey boy!!! I'm dressing up!!!! Mx
Old 12-16-2002, 10:15 AM   #16
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Quote:
~ Originally posted Shadowfax ~ Why dress up? To prove you are a "true" fan or something? I don't think so!
No offense, but I think dressing up is just part of the fun for some people. But if it's not for you, then I don't have a problem with that!

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 11:14 AM   #17
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
It is a film based on the greatest fantasy novel ever written. It's bad enough that the movie is never as good as the book, and that it has left out IMO some essential charachters without turning this masterpiece into a commercial joke. Burger Kings promotion of the last movie in selling glasses and action figures is just a way to capitalize off of a classic that should remain in the genre that it always lived in before the movie. It's like having your favorite band turn pop. It's going to be a good movie, I have no doubt of that, and I think it was always Jackson's intention to do honor to Tolkien, not to turn his masterpiece into a halloween party.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-16-2002, 12:43 PM   #18
Nibs
Head Hollara

Quote:
I think it was always Jackson's intention to do honor to Tolkien, not to turn his masterpiece into a halloween party.
I would have dressed up, were I able to actually see the film within the next two years (long story, check out the signature), and I think you're going a bit too far when you say

Quote:
It takes something away from its true value, and it's just plain silly.
Not to say everyone should dress up, mind you (because not everyone makes up for a dashing young elf warrior, as I do ), but I wouldn't call that a farce of Tolkien's work, as you've hinted. I actually consider my costume part of my own reverence for his work. But if you decide that's not for you, it's okay... it's just not cool to eschew others on that basis.

One could call this board silly, and the discussions thereof as taking away from the true value of Tolkien's work, but that doesn't make sense. Nor does saying that dressing up detracts from those same works. Well, that is, unless you have a good explanation, although I don't think anyone has hated the books since I've created my costume. But I just may pique someone's interest in them.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 12:49 PM   #19
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I'm wearing a ring! (Like nearly everybody )
And I'm going to take a dagger and wear a curly wig! (I'm small enough so I'll look just like a hobbit!)
Oh how everyone will stare at me!!!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 12:59 PM   #20
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

I am going to dress up. I am going to wear this REALLY pretty and "Elf-Like" dress, with a shirt with bell sleeves, and a really pretty cape type of thing. and I am going to do my hair exactly like Arwen's (in the movie). I am doing it cause I thought it would be neat, and fun!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote