Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-29-2002, 09:55 PM   #1
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Daemons..

I'm sure that lots of people have read The Golden Compass and the rest of them, so what do you guys think your daemon would end up being? My friend who is far more, uh, smart than me and she says the Pullman didn't make daemons up... so yah...

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 11:55 AM   #2
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

For a start the book is called "Northern Lights" and it is the alethiometer (I think that is how it is spelled)

I don't know what my daemon would be because my nature is that of a mixture of animals.
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 12:38 PM   #3
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Oh, I liked the Golden Compass and all that. My daemon would probably be...a horse. Well, ok, maybe thats not really accurate, just cuz I'm horse crazy...I dunno, really.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.

Last edited by Elenka : 08-11-2003 at 11:53 AM.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 06:36 PM   #4
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Um in Canada the book is called the Golden Compass

Old 12-01-2002, 06:52 PM   #5
Silverstripe
Empress of the Writewraiths

Location: Running around somewhere inside my head. So what are YOU doing here?!
Also called The Golden Compass in the USA.
Silverstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 10:42 PM   #6
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I think it goes by two names: The Golden Compass and Northern Lights. I have seen both at my library. The golden compass is the alethiometer which Lyra can read and northern lights refers to the aurora that they see when Lyra heads north. It would be great to have a daemon, to have something who is always there for you and who is actually part of you. I would like a dog, I think, just like my pet. I think Pantalaimon is so cute, but I hate Mrs. Coulters golden monkey. Very evil!
Old 12-01-2002, 10:57 PM   #7
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Ok, quick question from the ignorant: is this some kind of fantasy/sci-fi novel? I've never heard of it, and if it is, this thread probably needs to be moved.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 11:04 PM   #8
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Ok, quick question from the ignorant: is this some kind of fantasy/sci-fi novel? I've never heard of it, and if it is, this thread probably needs to be moved.
Yes it is, it probably should be moved to the sci-fi/fantasy board.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:09 PM   #9
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Right then. Thanks cass. Moving to the fantasy/sci-fi forum...

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:10 AM   #10
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
You canfind it under his dark materials too. I'd probably be a cat, love kitties!
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 10:30 PM   #11
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

I'm not sure what my dæmon would be... maybe an albatross. Or a leopard. A leopard would be nice. Or an Ocelot. I love big cats . Or maybe a Boa. I don't know. And if anyone needs a æ: ææææææææææææææææ

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 11:38 PM   #12
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I would want my dæmon (ooohhh pretty æ) a Lynx...

Old 12-05-2002, 02:25 PM   #13
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Out of curiosity, what's the combination that makes the æ?
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 11:51 PM   #14
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

On my board, its option + whatever this thing is: '.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 04:40 PM   #15
Helix
Elven Warrior

on a windows computer, it's alt+0230 (æ)

were dæmons really introduced in another book/series/mythology/anything? if so, where?
Old 12-23-2002, 10:20 PM   #16
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
The name or consept?

I can't get the ae thing to work onnline
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 12-24-2002, 03:18 AM   #17
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

Hmmmmmm... a dæmon... I think i'd have a wolf, or a cat... but really one cant decide these things for oneself, one needs to have another decide so as not to end up choosing what one would desire as opposed to what one would actually be like...

The Nazgûl Queen she was, the Ringwraith, the enemy's most terrible servant; darkness went with her and she cried with the voices of death.

Can be found loitering at Fantasy Essentials or her livejournal...
Nazgûl Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 09:42 AM   #18
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
I think having a dæmon would be really cool. There would always be someone to talk to for instance.
I think i'd want mine to be a dolphin as i adore them. However i think i probably would be morelikely to have a cat or a fox. Sly and fast and can be quiet when they want. Quite like me really.

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 08:15 PM   #19
Elf Girl
Lurker

My dæmon isn't settled yet, I'm only twelve. I'm thinking he might turn out to be a ferret though.

Don't ask...
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:14 PM   #20
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanza
I think having a dæmon would be really cool. There would always be someone to talk to for instance.
I think i'd want mine to be a dolphin as i adore them. However i think i probably would be morelikely to have a cat or a fox. Sly and fast and can be quiet when they want. Quite like me really.
If you had a dolphin, you couldn't go anywhere because it would always have to be in water. Did you know that a killer whale is a dolphin?