Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-2002, 02:00 PM   #1
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Giving up smoking

I gave up in May this year then, like the total @rse that I am, started again a couple of weeks ago. I am going to stop this coming Monday (11th November). Anyone care to join me? We could use this thread for moral support...

cheers

D.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 02:23 PM   #2
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
I don't smoke... I can't even buy tobacco products anywhere in the US... but you've got my support! Good luck!

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 04:12 PM   #3
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

Oh my! Please don't ever ever smoke again. Do you realise how nasty that is? You're lighting a dried dead plant on fire and sticking it in your mouth. And that's not all . . . arsenic . . . formaldehyde . . . the list goes on and on.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 04:30 PM   #4
Dunadan

Thanks for the reminder... over 4,000 toxic compounds, 50% chance it'll kill you, but not before you have your limbs amputated and need oxygen just to be able to sit up in bed. etc etc.

But the thing that really motivates me is the thought of not knowing my grandchildren. That and my 8-year-old, who gets really upset.

I blame Tolkien, though. I just wanted to be like Gandalf and blow smoke rings round the fire.

Last edited by Dunadan : 11-06-2002 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:45 PM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
I blame Tolkien, though. I just wanted to be like Gandalf and blow smoke rings round the fire.
Don't say that too loud - you'll wake up the pro-censor people. Right now it's just the nutty religious fanatics that are against it - we don't need to the smoking censors getting on the band wagon too.

By the way - good luck in quitting. My grandmother stopped when she was 65 cold turkey - after having smoked since she was 16. I know - why stop at 65. I had bugged her continously I guess while I was growing up (didn't realise it). Then when I was over her house and didn't notice that she wasn't smoking - she got upset. At least she quit.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:10 PM   #6
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

You know what's wierd? When I was a kid, smoking never bothered me. I used to go to taverns with my grandpa a lot and I actually thought it smelled kinda good. It was an old and exotic smell.
Now that I know where that smell comes from and what it does, I try to avoid it whenever possible. If a friend smokes, I won't go into a rage and tell them to put it out, but I do occasionally remind them of the terrible effects it has. My dad has a cigar with friends once in a while, and that's okay with me.
If someone wants to smoke, there isn't much I can say to stop them; but if you want to quit, Dunadan, more power to you. Kick that addiction's a**.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:15 PM   #7
Bard
Hobbit

Smoking is bad, you shouldn`t smoke!
Drinking is wors, yet I couldn`t immagine a life without alcohol!
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:23 PM   #8
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Well, as my D.A.R.E officer would say: "Never ever do smoking, because it's dangerous and can kill you. NOW LET'S REPEAT DEFINITIONS OVER AND OVER!!!"

That's not encouraging, if you ask me.

Well, good luck stopping! You'll get over it, trust me!
Old 11-06-2002, 08:07 PM   #9
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Quote:
Well, as my D.A.R.E officer would say: "Never ever do smoking, because it's dangerous and can kill you. NOW LET'S REPEAT DEFINITIONS OVER AND OVER!!!"

That's not encouraging, if you ask me.
Oh, for real. I remember the days of DARE, in 5th grade.... It was actually fun then, but last year we had "Reconnect with DARE" and it was really stupid...and we have to do it again when we're sophomores! But enough about that...

Good luck Dunadan! Kudos to you for setting a good example for your kid! And to anyone else here who smokes, I would encourage you to stop now...I know it sounds stupid to you because it's the same message you've heard over and over again, and it's coming from a 14 year old! But it really truly is dangerous. The effects may be longterm, but they come up faster than you think. And who wants yellow teeth and smelly breath & clothes anyway?

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 08:34 PM   #10
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

good luck, ive been thinking of quitting myself. ive got a fake ID so even though im not techically "legal" i can still get stuff.
hey why not quit together?

hehehee, don't moke, you'll get dain brammage.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:47 PM   #11
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Ach, I started the cigs again as well

I must be mad

I only managed 2 weeks and 2 days off the accursed things and I'm now in the "I'll stop again tomorrow phase"

Oh well, when the doxy tells me I've got lung cancer I'll probs sob my heart out.............hopefully I'll be stopped and clear before that. 'Orrible ciggies.......stole my soul

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 08:55 PM   #12
Philia
Enting

Well, actually you are more likely to kill someone else with your cigeratte smoke then you are of dieing of it yourself.
So think of your spouse(s) and kid(s) when you lite up!

This encouraging thought has been brought to you by The People Who Make You Cry

Nothing is as real as a dream. The world can change around you, but your dream will not. Responsibilities need not erase it. Duties need not obscure it. Because the dream is within you, no one can take it away. --Unknown

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant. --Robert Louis Stevenson

Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools. --Unknown

Love your enemies. It really pisses them off! --Unknown

Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age. --Jeanne Moreau, French Actress

We are never so helplessly unhappy as when we lose love. --Sigmund Freud
Philia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 05:13 AM   #13
Dunadan

JD, G88 and others: thanks for the support. Cold turkey is the way to go. Hope your granny is thriving, JD; it's never too late!

Coney, LuthienTinuviel: fancy giving it a go? You sound like you're fairly young and haven't been on the tabs for too long. The sooner you do it, the easier it'll be. Though, you might find that other people get pissed off with you, as it makes them feel threatened.

I've got about 20 pack-years behind me and believe me, those 5 months were the hardest of my life, worse than getting divorced! (why did I start again??? aaaarg, what a numpty!!) We could use this thread for non-judgmental encouragement and withdrawal-symptom venting!

If you can do 2 wks 2 days, you can do it. It's just that you have to go through the same thing each and every day, with the difficulty diminishing only imperceptibly over time.

My biggest problem is that I get really depressed with the thought of never smoking again. For that reason, I've promised myself I'll start again if I make it to 75. Hopefully by then I'll not be that bothered, and I might have the hair and beard to match Gandalf.

Finally, think on this: the tobacco companies chemically extract the naturally-occurring nicotine from tobacco then replace it with a refined, more volatile form. This means the nicotine degrades more quickly in the body, increasing your withdrawal and making you want to smoke more. So when you hand over your money with your fake ID, you are lining the pockets of Sauron.

cheers

d.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:36 AM   #14
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
Good luck quitting, all.
You guys have, at the very least, encouraged me to never start smoking!

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:00 AM   #15
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

I'll be quitting on Nov. 11th with ya .......... I was gonna make quitting my NYears resolution but I may as well quit sooner and make the head start

I've been somking 15+ yrs ...........started when I was a kid (I shudder to think of the damage I did to my immature lungs).

Do you use any of the nicotine replacement stuff? I found a lot of relief from the vomiting/headaches/anxiety etc from the nicotine patches at my last attempt at quitting...........I know the patches are still feeding the addiction but they are a lot better than smoking.

I'm gonna start cutting down the smokes from now till Monday, I'm on 40+ cigs a day at the mo' ............. hopefully by Monday I'll be down to 10-15/day.

10 reasons to stop!!!!!

1 Smoking ages the skin prematurely

2 Teeth and fingers get stained brown with nicotine

3 Makes hair clothes and breath stink

4 A typical pack a day smoker spends over £112 a month and nearly £1,500.00 a year! Imagine if someone handed you a lumpsum like that right now!!!

5 Smoking makes you 10 times more likely to die early from a major heart attack or stroke

6 9 out of 10 lung cancer deaths are as a result of smoking

7 Male smokers have a lower sperm count and more abnormal sperm than nonsmokers

8 Female smokers have more trouble getting pregnant than nonsmokers and also have a higher rate of miscarriages during pregnancy.

9 If you smoke regularly for a long time you may get a disease called "peripheral vascular disease" this disease cause narrowing of the blood vessels which restricts blood flow to the hands and feet, leading to gangrene and the amputation of limbs.

10 If you don't smoke you'll be fitter, have greater stamina and get a lot more enjoyment out of life!

£224 quid (or more) a month, no wonder my bank account looks so aneamic The first thing I'm gonna do with saving that amount of cash is buy a new car

Beatallica

Last edited by Coney : 11-07-2002 at 10:14 AM.
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:44 AM   #16
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

I hardly ever smoke. I'm thus a goody two-shoes.

The only time I ever smoke is when I do drugs. When I smoke weed (which is incredibly ultra-seldom) I'm smoking (but obviously not tobaco...)

When I go rushing (pill dropping), I end up lighting one while I wait for the initial rush, and one immediately after I start chilling.

The one time I did coke, I think I smoked about six cigs, which produced such a headrush that I mistook it for the cocaine! Wow!

I haven't done heroin. Yet.

But then again, I don't think I smoke like normal people. I normally finish a typical cig in about 8-10 inhalations. That pretty much explains the headrushes.

Lately I find that I like to smoke a few after I've had about 8-10 beers (or 5-6 vodka (or similar) shots).

Kids, don't smoke. One time it made me a little nauseus. Bad stuff, I tell you.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:37 PM   #17
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
I haven't done heroin. Yet.
Before you start heroin - maybe I should have you talk to my friend. You can see how it's ruined his life - although currently the drinking is doing more to ruin his life (it's more readily available).

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-07-2002, 01:43 PM   #18
Sween
im quite stupid

i gave up all forms of smoking a couple of mouths ago i dont even get stoned anymore .

no seriously unlike beer tabbacco has no upside to it
Old 11-07-2002, 02:07 PM   #19
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
JD:
Before you start heroin...
I'm not even starting. The smiley was meant to indicate the joke, but alas sometimes not even a smiley can alert one to my strange strangeness.

I believe a little bit of clearing-up is in order:

I don't smoke weed anymore. The last time I did was about three years ago.

I haven't done ecstasy since december last year, and I don't plan on doing any more of it.

I did acid once, about two.5 years ago, and it altered my mind.

I have done coke once, and it did nothing to me. That's how I was fooled by the cigarettes.

Heroin is pretty much a definite no-go. I have done my research.

Oh, and from January until July, I did not consume any alcohol.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:23 PM   #20
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
I'm not even starting. The smiley was meant to indicate the joke, but alas sometimes not even a smiley can alert one to my strange strangeness.
I figured it was a joke. Just wanted to make sure. The smiley face could have just meant that you thought it would be the ultimate high. He also said that he would never touch heroin - but even afetr seeing numerous friends die from it - he still decided to try it. Got hooked - was living on the streets of Seatle, Portland and San Francisco at various times.

Still maybe you should talk to him - not that being in and out of rehab has done much to help him overcome his addictions.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-07-2002 at 02:26 PM.