Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-30-2002, 02:24 AM   #1
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

The Trojan War

I recently wrote a paper on the Trojan War and am generally fascinated by this subject. I also have just about finished the Iliad. Does anyone else have in interest in ancient history, Troy and Mycenaen Greek?

If you are interested in Troy there is this GREAT book called
"In Search Of The Trojan War" by Michael Wood. It had a lot information, pictures and time charts.

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 07:27 PM   #2
Khadrane
Elf Lord

My school's mascot is a Trojan.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 01:33 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Re: The Trojan War

Quote:
Originally posted by Pippin Skywalker
Does anyone else have in interest in ancient history, Troy and Mycenaen Greek?
Definately! Have you read the Odyssee yet? It's a bit the sequal of the iliad.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:05 PM   #4
Finglas
Enting

Who's translation are you reading? I've heard bits of Alexander Pope's. It's a great translation but I cant find a copy of it. I've also started studying Koine Greek. It's actually not too hard and it's really interesting.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:03 AM   #5
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

I'm reading the Odyssey right now! Well...not this minute...but you hobbits know what I mean!

There is actually a new movie being made about the Trojan War and Bradd Pitt will be Achilles with Eric Bana as Hector. Should be interesting!

For those of you who don't know the outside of Homer History here is what I have gleaned:

1. Troy is a REAL place. It is a ruined city on the mound of Hisarlik in the region Canakkale, Turkey.

2. There were actually 9 cities of Troy! Nine archaeological levels were found. The earliest settlement was about 3000 BC (Troy I)
and the last city was the Roman city of Troy. Homer's citadel is believed to be Troy VI (aprox. 1200 BC). This date corresponds to the traditional date of the Trojan War.

3. Charles Mclaren a 19th century Scottish Professor made the first assumptions and guesses that Troy was on the Mound of Hisarlik. At that time and before there were many places that were mistaken for Homer's city but really were not it. Mclaren's theory was explored and used to find the city by Frank Calvert a englishman living in Turkey. Many give credit to Heinrich Schlieman for discovering Troy or "Ilium" but he owed much in fact probably all to Calvert, who was the first to do a minor excavation.

phew...that is enough lessons for today my dear hobbits!

Old 11-06-2002, 10:47 AM   #6
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

(I love Gimli's quote in the sig line!)

I read The Odyssey a long time ago and don't remember too much of it now, though the part about his son (Telumechtar - ? spelling) going to look for him was very moving, and even now sometimes when I see a sunrise, Homer's "wine-dark seas" come to mind.

The Iliad also came to mind recently when I read a quote from it at the end of Tom Marshall's The Price of Exit:
Quote:
We do have Prayers . . . you know . . . Prayers . . . for forgiveness . . . And the prayers trail after . . . trying to heal the wounds
Phoenix, the Charioteer, in Book IX (translation by Robert Fagles)
"Phoenix" was the call sign of C Company, 158th Aviation Battalion, 101st Airborne Division, Airmobile, in Vietnam. Marshall's book is about that period and group.

Inspired by this thread, I'm going to try to do it right -- read first The Iliad and then The Odyssey
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 11:33 AM   #7
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Khadrane
My school's mascot is a Trojan.

Haha that's cool mine is too!

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 12:32 PM   #8
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

It would be better luck to have a Greek mascot.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 02:03 PM   #9
Earniel

Quote:
Originally posted by The Lady of Ithilien
I read The Odyssey a long time ago and don't remember too much of it now, though the part about his son (Telumechtar - ? spelling) going to look for him was very moving, and even now sometimes when I see a sunrise, Homer's "wine-dark seas" come to mind.
Eh, I think your head is still in Middle earth. Telemachos is by my knowledge Ullysses' son. (unless of course his name -just like his dad's- got translated differently in English ) But I read the name Telumektar somewhere in BoLT.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:02 AM   #10
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Good point. And what does a Trojan look like, exactly?

Am I right is half-remembering that the Trojan War-era city of Troy DOES indeed show archaelogical evidence of having been violently destroyed?

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:23 AM   #11
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Eh, I think your head is still in Middle earth. Telemachos is by my knowledge Ullysses' son.
He-he! So's my heart, Eärniel. Telémakhos it is, in my copy of The Odyssey, Fitzgerald's translation.
Quote:
But I read the name Telumektar somewhere in BoLT
THANK YOU!!! Did a quick Web search and discovered a discussion of Tolkien's stars, which I've been searching for for some time: http://users.cybercity.dk/~bkb1782/t...tarsframe.html in which we learn that Telumektar was the son of Tulkas, who as far as we know didn't get lost for 20 years on his way back to Aman after the War of Wrath , and is linked with the constellation Orion.

Last edited by The Lady of Ithilien : 11-07-2002 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:00 PM   #12
Earniel

Middle earth is a good place to be. So Telemachos is written with a 'k' in your translation. Interesting.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:34 PM   #13
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Has anyone here read "Troy", the modern retelling by Adele Geras? I haven't tried it, but I've heard it's good, and it's already been optioned for a translation to the silver screen...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 07:50 PM   #14
Sylvee Estel
Elven Warrior

We just finished reading the Odyssey in English. I really liked it. The version in our reading books was really abridged though. Oh well. We are watching the movie now, I like it too.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:18 PM   #15
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Yeah, I know. I've always wondered why we were named after a bunch of gullible idiots.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:01 AM   #16
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Heh... this thread reminds me of the Simpsons.
Quote:
"From now on, whenever anyone gets wood, they'll think of Trojans"
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 11-14-2002, 03:26 AM   #17
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

Someone asked what Trojans look like. Well Troy is located in Turkey so the Trojans were Turkish.

I'm halfway through the Odyssey and have read the Iliad and from what I've read I think the former was a better "written" work. I think Homer got better as he grew older and the Odyssey was produced out of more experiance and when he had gotten better in his craft.

I'm reading the Robert Fagles translation...it's supposed to be a really good one. Someday I'd like to read Pope's since it is so acclaimed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some news about a movie based on the Iliad!

Wolfgang Peterson is to Direct "Troy" about Homer's ill fated city. So far the cast has Brad Pitt as Achilles, Eric Bana as Hector and Orlando Bloom (Legolas) is looking like he might get the part of Paris. This is a landmark I think because this book is rarely adapted to the screen probably because of it's difficult style. But wow! Come 2004 this film should be in theaters!

Any thoughts and further casting ideas?

Old 11-14-2002, 02:07 PM   #18
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Yes, like I said earlier, the film of "Troy" is based on the Adele Geras novel that hit the bestseller lists last year. I haven't read it but it's a retelling in modern prose.

As far as Homer's works go, I also have the Fagles translations... never even tried anyone else's.

Old 11-19-2002, 05:20 PM   #19
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Fear not that ye have died for naught;
We’ve learned the lesson that ye taught
In Flanders’ Fields.”
This isn't specifically about the Trojan War, though certainly dealing with the memory of the warrior dead is applicable; anyway, this quote in your sig line stuck with me. It seems so bittersweet today, looking back at those words over what must be the bloodiest century ever. What did we learn?

Just now I came across what might be an answer:
Quote:
If you are able, save for them a place inside of you,
and save one backward glance when you are leaving,
for the places they can no longer go.
Be not ashamed to say you loved them,
though you may or may not have always.
Take what they have left and what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own, and in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Major Michael Davis O'Donnell
January 1, 1970
Dak To, Vietnam
It's hard to find the exact attribution for this -- as a rule only the last phrase from "...and in that time" on is quoted, but this was the most complete reference to it a quick Google search found today.

I suppose the heroes returning from Troy would have liked that, too. Some things never change.
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
Old 11-20-2002, 12:12 AM   #20
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"I suppose the heroes returning from Troy would have liked that, too. Some things never change."
And that, mon amie, is why we study history.