Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2002, 07:28 PM   #1
theworkhorse
Hobbit

Did anyone out there totally hate the movie?

I am sorry if this has already been covered, I am new here. It has been mentioned by Black Breathilizer that there are 'purists', (gasp! the 'P' word), who "at least claimed that they found nothing good about the first film." I was just wondering if there really are people out there who have read the books and totally hated the movie.

theworkhorse

PS Please, this is not a thread to bash BB or his ideas. I really would like to know about this.
theworkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 08:17 PM   #2
Finglas
Enting

The key to enjoying the movie is not to compare it to the book. They are two separate works. If you compare it to the book then of course it will fall short. LotR is just to imense to be made into a motion picture (or even a trilogy), but that dosent mean that viewed for its own sake the movie didn't have alot of good points.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:45 PM   #3
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

I saw the movie before I read the trilogy and after I read the book I actually liked the movie more, because I understood what was happening more. I was a little disappointed in what was left out and added (like Arwen's role), but it is still a really good movie.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:00 PM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I don't hate the movie -- there are worse out there -- it just does nothing for me. Yep, I'm one of those purists that seems to get up BB's nose.

And yes, this has been done before.
Old 10-27-2002, 02:35 PM   #5
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

I don't hate the movie, but I was a little upset that they skipped Tom Bombadil and all Legolas' parts in Lothlorien.
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 04:13 PM   #6
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I have said this before, but, I'll say it again. I have to at least be happy that PJ made the first movie, because that is what introdused me to the books, but, after ttt comes out, I can complain about it.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:09 PM   #7
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I know quite a few people who hated the film and won't see the next one!! I'm trying to convince them but believe me it's hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad that PJ made the movies too i mean what if someone like Stephen Spielburg made them wold they all be set in the future? with machine guns instead of bow and arrows? Gosh it's horrible even thinking about it !The Lord Of The Rings would have been ruined!!!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 07:32 PM   #8
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Varda Oiolosseo
I know quite a few people who hated the film and won't see the next one!! I'm trying to convince them but believe me it's hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tell them that if they don't see it, they won't be allowed to complain about it. And if that doesn't work, get them tickets and drag them there!

Quote:
I'm glad that PJ made the movies too i mean what if someone like Stephen Spielburg made them wold they all be set in the future? with machine guns instead of bow and arrows? Gosh it's horrible even thinking about it !The Lord Of The Rings would have been ruined!!!
Oo... that's scary but actually kind of funny - just imagine Legolas with his machine gun at Helms Deep! But what would Gimli and everyone with swords use???
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 01:52 AM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Machine guns? Meh. That's nothing; don't forget those schmaltzy morals.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:11 AM   #10
Millane
The Dude

Never!!!!
the movies were awesome... things like Bombadil and Arwens role were like that in the movie for a reason because what is do-able in a book isnt so do-able in a movie... remember a book can go on for thousands of pages but a movie only has a few hours... i was upset that they left out Bombadil in the movie but then in anotherthread someone said what would be better a really really crap Bombadil or None???... As for leaving out characters (Glorfindel) rmember the movies werent just made for die hard fans of the books and it had to be simple enough for everyone to follow...
Remember would you rather a movie or none...
Old 10-29-2002, 07:26 AM   #11
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Movie definately!!!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 07:42 AM   #12
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I bought tickets for another film they didn't want to see and they walked out half way through! I could fasten them to the seat and make them watch it couldn't I? And not let them go untill they agree that the film was fantastic and that Lord Of The Rings rules!!
Gimli and other characters with swords and axes would probably have chain-saws or something!
Old 10-29-2002, 12:18 PM   #13
azalea
Long lost mooter

My husband didn't particularly like the movie, but then again getting him to watch any fantasy or sci-fi is like pulling teeth. I was lucky to be able to get him to watch it TWICE with me! He, of course, has never read the book . *sniff*
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 12:23 PM   #14
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Force him to!! Make him read it! Lock him in a room untill he has read it or at least tried because i know that some people find it (LOTR) quite hard to read! I did at first but know I'm reading it for the third time it's excellent!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 12:28 PM   #15
azalea
Long lost mooter

I may try to read it aloud to him. I'm sure he'll really love that . But eventually I WILL be reading it to my sons aloud, so he'll have to hear it then anyway!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 12:32 PM   #16
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Your determined for him to read it aren't you? I'm sure he will eventually read it because he won't be able to live with himself if he dosn't. He'll be going "If only i'd read Lord Of The Rings!"