Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-19-2002, 11:59 AM   #1
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Wizards through out fantasy novels

what are some different books with wizards? what are their simulairites,differences....?

Anyone ever read a wizard of Earthsea? Ged, Gandalf... Post ur fav wizard....
Old 10-19-2002, 04:44 PM   #2
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I've never read LeGuin's Earthsea, so I can't really comment on that...

Merlin in all his incarnations is, of course, pretty much the archetypal model of wizardry... but my favourite representation of that idea is how far Tolkien took it with Gandalf. As for a direct play on Merlin himself, I like the direction Susan Cooper took him in The Dark Is Rising as a figure who transcends time.

The Wizard of Oz... well, technically he's not a wizard, so there's not much I can say there.

In current literature, Rowling's Harry Potter saga is, I find, the definitive representation of wizards. It's borderline parody in a way - she takes the archetypal Merlins of legend and essentially places them in a modernized society complete with its own hindering bureaucracy, for example.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 12:05 PM   #3
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

i forgot about Merlin and Susan Coopers books grrr there are so many different variations of Merlin!
Old 10-21-2002, 01:13 AM   #4
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

-

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 10-21-2002 at 01:18 AM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 01:16 AM   #5
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Mary Stewart's Merlin

If you're interested in Merlin, you should read the trilogy by Mary Stewart called "Merlin." It is truly excellent, and the characters and magic are very realistic, although at the same time it is still magic. I've read the Susan Cooper books of The Dark is Rising series, and I liked them quite a lot. But Merlin is the best in this other trilogy; I highly recommend it.

The whole trilogy is from Merlin's perspective, and is during the Arthurian Legend.

I also read the Earthsea Trilogy, and I really liked it as well. The first book in particular, but the other two are also good. I felt kind of as though there should be a books four and five though, which take place in between 1 and 2, and 2 and 3. That's simply because of the large leaps that are taken in Ged's life, and one feels as though one missed something, when all of these adventures that he had are taken for granted as having happened, but aren't actually described.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:51 PM   #6
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Ah, Merlin. So many versions. I love them all! It's interesting all the different legends that are behind him and Arthur, and which ones people claim are fact and fiction.

Another wizard I'm fond of that has not been mentioned yet is Allanon the Druid of the Shanarra Series. Then of course, gotta love Gandalf and, I'll admit it, I'm a fan of Harry Potter. Not avid, but I like the books. Although, Hermione is one of the coolest in that series. And Lupin.
But anyway...
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 12:09 AM   #7
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

I find that some wizards seem very similar to others in different series. If any of you have read these ones:
Hexwood by Diana Wynne Jones I think - Mordion Aegnos (sp?) and the Wild Magic series by Tamora Pierce - Numair Salamin. I don't know why, they just seemed so like each other to me.

And Galenavar: You're kidding! Snape and Sirius are so the coolest!
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:22 PM   #8
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Snape and Sirius are so the coolest!
Ha ha ha!!!! Granted, Sirius did slip my mind. He is awesome. And, true, Snape is very cool, but still, I'd have to say Lupin is cooler. I don't know why, but for some reason, I'm just partial to werewolves.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote