Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-21-2002, 02:07 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Shaolin Soccer

Has anybody seen this? It's the biggest Hong Kong smash hit of all time, and swept their equivalent of the Oscars last year. I myself have watched it twice, the first time being right before World Cup Finals earlier this year. It's a spoof comedy, but at the same time, it is simply the most entertaining sports movie I have ever seen in my life.

The basic premise is that a group of former Shaolin monks (for those of you who don't know, Shaolin is the name of the temple from which all modern kung fu is derived) that form a football team using their super-duper kung fu powers. It must be seen to be believed.

However, right now, the only way you can see it in North America is by the all-region international DVD, which is extremely poorly subtitled, but I suppose that would add to the amusement for some of you. It's going to be released soon - in fact, the American cut was shown at the Toronto Film Festival earlier this month - but that's trimmed down a bit and it's... sigh... dubbed. (Oh well, you can't win'em all.)

But definitely catch it if you can.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 12:48 AM   #2
mirrille
Elven Warrior

They dubbed it?
Oh no! Half the fun is Steven Chow's delivery and I'm afraid that's just not going to come through with dubbing.
I've seen this movie 3 times and it gets funnier with each viewing. Watch it subtitled. Dubs are evil! If the subtitles suck, so much the better. You can laugh at those too.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 08:35 AM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'm not a big movie watcher, but this sounds funny! I'd like to see it. Kung-Fu football team? Yea!