Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-10-2002, 02:56 PM   #1
Oivalar
Sapling

Just Finished

I just finished the Sim and I found it at first to be confusing. But, the more I read the easier it became to understand. Now, (although still slightly miffed..) I understand better the beginnings of ME and the fall and rise (in no way related to Reginald Perrin...) of the elves, dwarves men and others.

Perhaps Prof. Tolkien wanted to explain Christianity through the Sim...? If he did, the "original sin" of the elves and their later redemption fit the bill. If you’re not Christian (as are many of my Tolkien friends...) then it is a beautiful story with illustrations of personal sacrifice, greed, evil and love.

In all, I believe that Prof. Tolkien did the literary world a major favor by adding these tales to our shelves. We can learn much from these stories.
Oivalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 07:12 PM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I don't know if Tolkien wanted to explain Christianity through his legendarium (including such books as the Lord of the Rings, not just The Silmarillion, where I suppose it is most evident), but certainly his legendarium can be called "Christian". Tolkien said so, anyway.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:12 AM   #3
Nibs
Head Hollara

No matter the intent, the stories are epic and captivating.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 12:56 PM   #4
Oivalar
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by Nibs
No matter the intent, the stories are epic and captivating.
Too true, Nibs! I guess I should have clarified myself a bit better. The Sim was very captivating and it gave you plenty to think about. However you look at Tolkien's works, one has to admit that his stories and tales were filled with many similarities to his own life and beliefs.

In all, I believe that the Sim was a great prelude to the other books, however, a bit more dark and poetic than the other works.
Oivalar is offline   Reply With Quote