Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2002, 03:07 AM   #1
flopster
Sapling

A few specific questions about ME

Hi, these are a few questions about Middle Earth I can't seem to find the answer to. Forgive me if any of them seem newbie-ish, it's been a while since I read the books. I appreciate any responses!

1. I was fairly sure that the dwarven cities of Belegost and Nogrod in the Blue Mountains were destroyed by the end of the First Age, but I seem to remember a dwarf from either the Hobbit or LotR mentioning something about his kin in the Blue Mountains. Now I'm really confused. Specifically, were they inhabited at the time of the War of the Ring?
2. Was the ancient southern elf haven of Edhellound still populated by elves at the time of the War of the Ring?
3. I've heard several rumors on the internet that in the Last Battle Turin will supposedly slay Melkor. Can anyone explain where this crazy idea might have come from, as it doesn't any sense to me at all...
4. Is there any mention of what happened to Radagast at the end of the Third Age? Did he pass back into the west or what?

thanks
flopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 02:01 PM   #2
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Belegost in Nogrod have a contradictory history. In the Silmarillion it is said they are destroyed. In Appendix B it is mentioned that dwarves leave the blue mountains to go to Moria. The cities may not have remained but regardless there were dwarves there.

Edhellond was abandoned Amroth left on the last ship (though his history is murkey)

Michael Martinez steadfastly holds that Dagor Dagoreth (the apocalyptic last battle) is not part of the mythology. Regardless the battle is some sort of apocalyptic end of days things with Tuor and Turin and Earendil and lots of other folks (Manwe for one) pulling off crazy stuff...or not

Radagast dwindles, I don't think he returns.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:54 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
1. I was fairly sure that the dwarven cities of Belegost and Nogrod in the Blue Mountains were destroyed by the end of the First Age, but I seem to remember a dwarf from either the Hobbit or LotR mentioning something about his kin in the Blue Mountains. Now I'm really confused. Specifically, were they inhabited at the time of the War of the Ring?
Yes. Belegost and Nogrod had indeed been destroyed, but here were still Dwarf-settlements there in the Third Age.

Quote:
2. Was the ancient southern elf haven of Edhellound still populated by elves at the time of the War of the Ring?
I don't believe so.

Quote:
3. I've heard several rumors on the internet that in the Last Battle Turin will supposedly slay Melkor. Can anyone explain where this crazy idea might have come from, as it doesn't any sense to me at all...
It's derived from the old Book of Lost Tales mythology and is not in fact true of the newer one. Late in his life Tolkien did say that Túrin returned in the Last Battle, and this has caused some confusion. It was in an essay called Of Dwarves and Men. The thing is, by "Last Battle" this time J. R. R. Tolkien meant "Last Battle of the Wars of Beleriand", i.e., The War of Wrath. Tolkien came up with an idea that Túrin returns from death in the War of Wrath and slays Ancalagon (instead of the tradtional story that Eärendil did it).

Quote:
4. Is there any mention of what happened to Radagast at the end of the Third Age? Did he pass back into the west or what?
He evidently remained in Middle-earth. His fate is unknown.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:40 PM   #4
Gilrond
Enting

Gandalf

I think you may be referring to the Iron Hills east of Erebor; Thorin's cousin "Dain of the Iron Hills," in the War of the Ring King Under the Mountain. In Rivendell Frodo chatted with Gloin, and Gloin discussed the doings of Erebor, but nothing was mentioned of the Iron Hills; I thought I had some vague rememberance of the inhabitance of Dwarves in the Blue Mountains--maybe Gimli remarked about that.
Gilrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 07:31 PM   #5
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

don't quote me on this

dosen't it say in Unfinished Tales that Gandalf went to the Blue Mountains to talk to Thorin?
Old 09-09-2002, 03:35 PM   #6
UnStashable
Enting

I only really have comments on 1 and 4

1. I always thought the physical works of Belgost and Nogrod were destroyed but that doesen't mean that every dwarf in them or even the cites of the cities perished. They just abandoned their old cities and moved to Khazad-Dum. Also I thought there were lesser dwarven settlments in the Blue Mts. that survived.
I think your right Arwen it does say that. I know in the Apendices(sp?) that it says Thorin or Thrain I can't remeber removed his people to the Blue Mts.

4. I like to have thought that mabey Radagast went into the west in one of the later ships to pass after Elrond, Gandalf etc. (like Legolasses and gimli's) but thats really just wishful thinking.