Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-19-2002, 10:55 PM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

People that lie on line.

What would you do if you met someone on line and became friends for several years, and then traveled halfway across the country to meet them and found out everything they told you on line was a lie?

This happened to a friend of mine and he was devistated because he really cared for this lady. She cried and appologized for everything and came clean, but he just felt so betrayed and his trust in her was gone.

He forgave her and still speaks to her on the phone and in IMs, but he says that it isn't the same.

I have never got that close to anyone on the internet. I know a lot of people I like but have never felt the need to meet them, although I have spoke to some on the phone.

How would you feel if you had this happen to you. What would you do? I am not sure I would continue the relationship.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 11:04 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I couldn't keep the friendship going. I'd feel like I had wasted all this time and mental energy on a lie! Honesty is crucial to any kind of relationship. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that meeting! How sad. I guess I could forgive her if she cried and came clean, I'd feel sorry for her, but it could never be the same and my interest would be history. Ick!!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 11:04 PM   #3
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Well it depends on what kind of a relationship it is. Romantic? I might continue it, if the other party sincerely apologizes and I can seet hat they are truly sorry and are making a conscious effort to gain my trust back. Just friends? It's hard to say. It really depends on the situation. And overall, it would have to be decided on the circumstances.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 11:12 PM   #4
olsonm
Elf Lord

It depends what they lied about. If they misrepresented themselves in a minor way I could get over it. But if they completely fabricated an on-line persona it'd be tougher to stay friends, as they would become almost a stranger.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:16 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

This happened to a friend of mine that I met over the internet. She comes from Germany, and she went to visit a mutual internet friend in Utah. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the friend in Utah dumped her in an inn, instead of putting her up, as promised, and ignored all her phone calls. Needless to say, she spent three weeks in a small town in the middle of nowhere, with no access to food, entertainment, or people. And believe me, she WAS NOT impressed with this. And on top of that, she's lost a helluva lot of weight from having to walk an hour and a half to the nearest restaurant and back. (In this place she stayed in, there are no taxis or public transport.) She's back in Germany now, and VERY depressed about her experience in Utah, and her weight loss. What makes it even scarier, was that I was going over to Utah in November to visit as well. You can be sure, I'm not going to now!
Old 08-19-2002, 11:19 PM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Well, he's a married man, she's a married lady. It was just a good friendship. No romantic interest. She lied about her age her appearence, her children. The problem with their meeting he said was that he got such a surprise when he saw her. He was looking right at her and didn't know it was her, because he had such a different picture of her.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:20 PM   #7
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

What's with people, how could you do this to a GUEST! my God, roll out the red carpet....she came across the water, I can't hardly believe she was treated so shabbily. Are you sure you're telling the truth!

Edit: this was to BoP, SGH slid in afterwards.

Last edited by Lizra : 08-19-2002 at 11:21 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 11:23 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Are you sure you're telling the truth!
Nope!

It's really bad though. She's REALLY depressed about it. And it is bad, because we both spent the last 7 or 8 months talking to each other online, every weekend or so, when we could get the times to stop clashing (NZ, Utah and Germany are SO hard to co-ordinate!) I thought I knew this person so well... and it turned out that she was a major dirtbag! (the one in Utah, that is.)
Old 08-19-2002, 11:25 PM   #9
olsonm
Elf Lord

That's so evil. I hope your German friend is OK.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:28 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

That is bad, because I think that that can destroy your views of all people on the net. It is hard to know who to trust indeed. Is your friend from Germany and you still trusting of each other? I mean, that is the kind of thing that could really destroy all friendships that you've ever made on the net.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:32 PM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah. She's better now. Thank god.

(Good thing you started this thread SGH, otherwise I might have had to start it!)

Yeah: me and the girl from Germany are still trusting of each other. At least from my end. We're both so similar in personality, that it's pretty hard for me to imagine her trying to swindle me. Whereas the girl from Utah WAS different from us in personality. I never pegged her for a love 'em, leave 'em type though.

Geez, sometimes, you think you have someone figured, and then everything turns out to be completely different. All I can say is: People Beware!

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-19-2002 at 11:33 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 11:40 PM   #12
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I absolutely agree with that. BEWARE! I have only been on line for about two years. I have met a lot of nice folks. It would ruin it for me, and I would probably never get on line again if I left myself open and fell victim to something like that.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:10 AM   #13
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I have never gotten into any knid of relationship over the internet, and I don't know if I want to (I never really have). I dunno. I'm fine with stuff like this - message boards where it doesn't get very personal if you don't want it to ... but I've never really been into the "chat" thing, and getting to KNOW people.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 07:39 AM   #14
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
All I can say is: People Beware!
Yes, a dash of scepticism is needed on line. It is important to remember that you don't really know the people you meet on internet. Not only minor girls need to take care.

I think the opportunity to create yourself a new personality and be a different person on line, is quite fascinating to many people. Here is a chance to explore multiple sides of their personality. Also, I think some people lie about age, looks, family and so on to make sure not to be recognised by anybody. Of course if they do that it's silly to befriend others on the net and propose a meeting.

And there's absolutely NO excuse for the b***** Utah guy.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:43 AM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The person from Utah was a female. But still. Absolutely no excuse. You don't take a guest and them dump them in the middle of nowhere.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:21 AM   #16
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
The person from Utah was a female.
Ah, sorry. Guess I was thinking: Typical male behaviour.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:29 AM   #17
Faramir
Elven Warrior

I would block them and try to forget about it. I'd be pretty mad though.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 01:16 PM   #18
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Scary stuff. I've never made arrangements to meet anyone that I met online, though I'm in the process of doing it now. We both live in the same state, and we're going to see if we try out for All-State Choir in the same area, and seek each other out, so it won't be like I'm putting myself in a potentially dangerous situation.

I'd never talk to them again.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:47 PM   #19
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Some people...what do they get out of dragging someone halfway accross the world to say "Haha...you're really gullible!" anyway? I would only meet someone that I had met online if I was within an hour or so from my own home or with another, genuine friend.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 05:54 PM   #20
Sween
im quite stupid

it depends how you want to pretent yourself. I mean sometimes me and my mates go in chat rooms and pretend to be women and laugh at all the sad perverts.

Its easy to lie online. thats the whole problem not so easy to lie to someones face.

I have met someone off the net b4 she lived in the same town as my cousin and i had talked to her for a year or so and everyopne was at work so i thought may as well texted her and we did. it was fun but a bit awarkward. i would only meet people if it were convient and they didnt scare me.