Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-19-2002, 12:42 PM   #1
Sween
im quite stupid

Right to Privicy

As we all know we have a right to a certain level of privecy from the police for example. But after the tragic case of jessica and holly should this be upheld. If they could of just gone and searched houses they may still be alive today.

Discuss.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:49 PM   #2
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I think the police should be allowed to intrude our privacy in cases like the murders of J and H, if it is beneficial for the investigation. But this right should be restricted to the most serious cases.

In Norway the police is allowed to search houses in certain circumstances. I'm not sure which criteria is used to get a search warrant, but I guess it is used in serious cases like drug dealing, kidnapping, homicides. I think this is all right. A little less privacy is OK if the result is a safer community.

I also think the use of videocams in the streets, shops, taxis etc is OK as long as it is clear to everyone that they're present. And there must be a law regarding storage, use and destruction of the videotapes.
Old 08-19-2002, 02:04 PM   #3
Diaxion
Elven Warrior

Well the police have to protect the peace. Although they should only go into people private lives because there is probably cause. IF they go into someones life akcidentily then there should be a penalty.
Old 08-19-2002, 05:37 PM   #4
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Too tough a subject. No one will like my answer.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 06:43 PM   #5
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Why did you post in this thread when you didn't have anything to contribute Rána Eressëa?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 06:51 PM   #6
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
Why did you post in this thread when you didn't have anything to contribute Rána Eressëa?
I hate to be rude to authority, but Why did you post in this thread when you didn't have anything to contribute Comic Book Guy? Entmoot has Private Messaging.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 06:59 PM   #7
BeardofPants
the Shrike

And to continue: Why did Emp not use the private messaging system to complain to CBG?

I understand that we need a system to protect us, but as it stands, the policing system is far too corrupt.

Last year, our chief commisioner got off on speeding: it broke out in the news and there was an uproar. What happened to him? He got a slap on the hand, and a pay rise.

Also: too many man hours are spent tracking down dope, when it should be re-routed to more serious crimes, like rape, etc.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:05 PM   #8
Sween
im quite stupid

Right we seem to of gone off topic here. jessica and hollys case for those that dont know was 2 young girls were kidnapped some 2 weeks ago and they were pretty sure it was someone local. Any way they had a meeting and said we are going to search all the houses, very soon after 2 bodys turned up dumped in a feild near by and they had not been there long.

What i popouse in a case like this the police should be allowed to do on the spot check on any house they feel like with no prior warning or without any reasonable cause.

Would this be an acceptable price to pay for possiably saving peoples lives and catching there kidnappers.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:09 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
Would this be an acceptable price to pay for possiably saving peoples lives and catching there kidnappers.
I'm sure they'd start out with good intentions, but something like this has far too many proponents for abuse of the system.
Old 08-19-2002, 07:36 PM   #10
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

you shouldn't have anything in your house that you would get in trouble for! but anyways, if the polise fill a need to search, i don't know if it is allowed, but they should search, becouse they probally have a resone to!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 08:02 PM   #11
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

The Law for the Protection of People and the State brought in by Germany's President in 1933 that was exploited by Hitler comes to mind.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 08:07 PM   #12
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
To see if anyone was interested in knowing my answer, of course, because I wasn't sure at first whether or not to administrate it.

Personally, I don't agree with law - but, I think privacy laws should remain somehow - at least in mind, if you follow me. People shouldn't be allowed on your property/area of living without you being able to put up a fight and send them away WITHOUT it being a "crime" or unless they have your direct permission. That's just how I feel.

I'm an extremely extremely old-fashioned rules person.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 08-19-2002 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:07 PM   #13
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa
I'm an extremely extremely old-fashioned rules person.
Just not old fashioned moral rules?
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 09:52 PM   #14
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Actually, that's not old fasioned at all. Once upon a time, in most places it was considered decent to let people onto your land as long as they behaved themselves.

In fact, I think the protection of privacy idea is a fairly new invention, even in the US. It's more a product of liberalism than any traditional rules.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:55 PM   #15
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Old-fashioned this-is-my-space-and-this-is-my-life-so-stay-the-hello-out-of-it-or-we'll-fight type rules. Like I've said before, I don't see how a human death is any more important than the death of a cat or mouse or butterfly or elephant, etc. Everyone mourns - humans aren't the only ones. But we uphold our emotions above everthing else, and that really screws things up. It's because of emotions we have laws, and I don't think privacy for one should be treated any different than the way other animals handle it. Either we're all peaceful and live together, or we have our boundaries that no one but friends are allowed to cross. Police and such interrupt those boundaries of privacy, space, and way of living. I simply think that's wrong.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 08-19-2002 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:30 AM   #16
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:

It would go against our Constitution.

Quote:
US Constitution
Amendment 4 -
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Allowing the police to just search liked that opens up too many cases of abuse. I would not support it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-20-2002 at 01:35 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 06:49 PM   #17
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil

Allowing the police to just search liked that opens up too many cases of abuse. I would not support it.

Doesnt your constitution also say guns are ok. Maybe you should consider altering a few things.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:58 PM   #18
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:

Doesnt your constitution also say guns are ok. Maybe you should consider altering a few things.
It doesn't say they're okay. However, we do have a Constitutional right to bear arms, commonly referred to as the Second Amendment. First of all the Constitution isn't that easy to be changed, second I would NOT change it. We only have 26 amendments. 10 of those (the Bill of Rights) were mandated by the states in order for them to be willing to sign the Consitution. Only one cancels out prior amendment (the ending of prohibition), Prohibition was Amendendment 18 and was repealed through Amendment 21.

You eliminate the right to bear arms and the only ones left that carry guns are the criminals. I personally don't have a gun nor would I ever have a gun, I have however shot one.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 08-20-2002 at 07:21 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 05:13 AM   #19
Sween
im quite stupid

you have to adimit that something that was written over 200 years ago isnt allways valid.

The way i see the right to privacy is like a school trip. On a school trip the teachers allways say you can stay up if you all behave. Unforntally someone allways misbehaves and spoils it for the rest of us. This is like life in many ways. If we could all behave we could all have the right to privacy but some people just wont and spoil it for the rest of us.

I dont think this would be abused how often is there a situation so sever it would require a whole town to be searched?
Old 08-21-2002, 05:48 AM   #20
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
I dont think this would be abused how often is there a situation so sever it would require a whole town to be searched?
You want a big brother situation? Sure, the legislation for serving warrants for mass house searches would start out small enough, and then it would escalate. I'm sorry, but I don't think that we should live in a police state. There are just far too many loopholes to wrangle with, and I just don't trust the police that much to give them complete power like that. And this may sound harsh, but instances like this are good population checks. Hominids really are no better than their so-called "lesser" counterparts.