Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-12-2002, 02:58 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Do you want kids?

For me it is a resounding NO. Only once in my life did I ever want them and that short period is dead.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 08-12-2002 at 09:37 AM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 05:25 AM   #2
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
What happened to make you change your mind?

My line of thinking is "the more the merrier"! I'm the oldest of 5 kids, and although it can be a bit loud sometimes , I wouldn't have it any other way. I would love for my hopefully-to-be children to experience this too! Think about it:

1. If you get up to 7 you can have your own Quidditch team! JK....

2. You won't be short on helping hands.

3. Tons of kids will run to greet you when you get home from work, errands etc....

4. More love to go around!

5. What if YOUR parents had decided that they didn't want kids, hmmmmm?

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 05:58 AM   #3
Sween
im quite stupid

i wanna have 4 kids eventually. I want 2 boys and 2 girls. I want this cos i just have a sister and i know she wished she had a sister and i wish i had a brother. i think people that are from big families are more rounded people
Old 08-12-2002, 07:20 AM   #4
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Not particularly. Can't stand the little tykes.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:39 AM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I always wanted a child. I didn't have a wonderful (fun, warm, loving) family experience myself, but still, never considered being childless. I was the youngest,and had no young cousins, so I had no idea what babies were about. I certainly was curious about the pregnancy thing! I loved being pregnant, the second time was more thrilling than the first. To know you are growing a child inside your body, that will come out and totally redefine you and your husband's world is pretty exciting stuff!!! Feeling your baby moving inside you is too cool. Children are an incredible hassle!!, but the love expansion is too good to pass. I need to learn to love this way. Of course, there's pain too, but I'll handle it.

Last edited by Lizra : 08-12-2002 at 12:35 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 09:40 AM   #6
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

2. You won't be short on helping hands.

There are tons of orphans and others who want them.

3. Tons of kids will run to greet you when you get home from work, errands etc....

Ever think that I like solitude

4. More love to go around!

Don't need kids for that.

5. What if YOUR parents had decided that they didn't want kids, hmmmmm?

I wouldn't be here. But, that is non-sequitor. That is no logical reason to have them.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-12-2002, 09:47 AM   #7
Rand
Hobbit

Location: I port around from day to day. Who knows where I will be now?
Ummmmmmm.... I'm very sorry if this seems rude but why start this topic if all you are going to do is shoot down what the other people say?
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, and Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neather beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning...
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 10:07 AM   #8
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally posted by Rand
Ummmmmmm.... I'm very sorry if this seems rude but why start this topic if all you are going to do is shoot down what the other people say?
Unfortunately you are 100% correct about this observation.

That's why some people come and go randomly. We can't take the constant tension.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:13 AM   #9
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
To know you are growing a child inside your body, that will come out and totally redefine you and your husband's world is pretty exciting stuff!!! Feeling your baby moving inside you is too cool.
Agreed! I've got 3 kids and giving birth is painful and hard work but it's worth every second of it. I consider myself very lucky having healthy children and I love them more than I can say in words.

I'm just curious, what is the average number of children in a family where you live? In Norway it's 2.1.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:07 PM   #10
AngusThermopile
Sapling

Well i never had any definite oppinion on the matter, though i allways assumed that one dayin the right circumstances i would want a kid/kids. However after many hours looking after my brothers young ones i have revised this ti a definte no.

We'll see.....
Old 08-12-2002, 12:32 PM   #11
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I think it's about the same, Artanis, but that's just speculation on my part! Hi Angus! I suppose your wife will sway you "yea or nay" Either way, a good life can be had.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 12:52 PM   #12
Elvet
Elven Warrior

I never wanted children and I have never regretted that decision.
However, I think that over time, many things influence your feelings on this. In otherwords, how you feel now could easily change depending on partners and circumstances. Perhaps a better question would be would you voluntarily become permenantly infertile. That may put a different spin on it.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:55 PM   #13
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I grew up around small children, and I still am! I'm the youngest of two, biologically, but the second oldest of four in a joined family. I have a gigantic family, on all three sides, and there are always babies around. I'm considered the responsible one who isn't quite old enough to be with the adults (I'm sixteen! Bah), and I can usually get stuck watching them sometimes, but for the most part I don't mind.

Yes, I want kids, but not right away. I think I want to have only one child, but we'll see. I believe kids are worth everything, but I'm not willing to give up my childhood quite yet.

I know quite a bit about kids and such, having to be around them all the time, though I'm still a little worried about very small babies.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:41 PM   #14
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Rand

Quote:
Spock

Quote:
We can't take the constant tension

How does responding to a response equate shooting someone down or causing tension.

I did not flame the ring bearer in anyway. Now, if I said that someone was an acerebral embodiment of flatulence for wanting kids then I would agree.

To disgree is not to be rude.

'Dern Helm"

Last edited by afro-elf : 08-12-2002 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:44 PM   #15
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
What happened to make you change your mind?

In which direction? The VERY short time I wanted them or back to my normal mode?

'Dern Helm"

Old 08-12-2002, 03:18 PM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

I have two kids, and I've decided I don't want any.

I'M KIDDING!

I love having kids and have always wanted kids. I agree with the more the merrier philosophy (although the merrier for whom then becaomes a question ).

I think people should wait to make the decision (to get pregnant) until they are finished with college and are married (although I know people who had them at 19 or 20 and are happy, I think it is good to experience life as an adult for a while before becoming a parent).
I think people should wait to decide "how many" until they've had one. (Just wait till you've had one, then you'll know why.)
I think people who don't think they want children should wait until they are 30 to get permenantly "fixed," because there is a lot of growth that happens between 20 and 30, and you may decide you want them later. This has happened to a lot of people. If you're 45 and decide you want them, it may be too late (if you're a woman)!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 05:13 PM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well I come from a rocky home life of sorts, and I don't tend to develop attachments very easily because of it, and there's no way that I want to put any children through what I went through, and I'm too scared I'd turn into my mother. Plus, I don't think I have any particular urges to have kids. Some people don't, I guess. What I AM sick of, is being patronised by other women (and men) saying that OF COURSE I'LL WANT KIDS, EVERYONE WANTS KIDS, etc, etc. I know I'm still young, but still... I've got some pretty good reasons to no have them.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:41 PM   #18
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

Yes, except for the fact of doubt when I get mad. I have a temper because my parents get mad at me every once in a while. I don't want to hurt anyone, but I love to watch kids and teach swimming lessons, so yes. I want them.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 06:26 PM   #19
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I very certainly do not want kids. First, there's too many kids in the world as is and if I ever lose my mind and decide I do want kids after all (which is not going to happen) I would adopt a kid instead of having my own. Also, I think I would make a terrible mother. I have an awful temper and no patience, and I like having my own time and space, and I would end up resenting any hypothetical children for taking up my time and space, etc. And because I can't stand children.

It really bugs me when people say stuff like 'oh, you'll change your mind someday' and all that. It's really annoying.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 06:36 PM   #20
Faramir
Elven Warrior

I would like to have kids. When your old, you'll have people to visit you, and enjoy seeing your kids have kids, and watch with nasty joy as you see them going through the hard parts of parenthood. "All mothers put a curse on their children, they say to their children, "I hope your kids are just like you!" And the curse works!"-Bill Cosby For all you people who don't want to habve kids, that's fine.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote