Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-08-2002, 11:06 PM   #1
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

Signatures

Signatures are the quotes that automatically pop up at the end of your posting. For the most part, I really enjoy reading people's signatures, they are often interesting and tell you a lot about the member who is posting. However, lately I've noticed a trend towards exceptionally long signatures. This I find a bit boring, and often a bit confusing as I hunt for the actual posting. I confess, that if a signature is very long I just skip the whole thing and don't read a word. Doesn't it seem odd for a member to have a signature 100 times longer than their average posting? In fact, it sometimes seems to me that the people with the longest signatures have the least to say. I, of course, have the opposite problem, my posts tend to be a bit long. I admit I'm verbose, repetative, redundant, and wordy!
But I would like to hear how the rest of you feel about this? Do I have a valid point, or am I just being fussy?
I also have a thing about spelling. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time, especially me! I spell horrendously, but I do make an effort to look things up when I get confuzzled. I'm not talking about the average mistake, or about our English as a second language folks who are doing the best they can. But some posts are so full of mistakes that it is almost impossible to understand what people are saying! What do you all think about that? Is it reasonable to ask our fellow members to make a bit of effort? Remember, posts aren't very effective if we can't understand what you are saying!

This post property of Entmoot.

Last edited by Bregalad : 08-09-2002 at 12:18 AM.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 11:57 PM   #2
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
You spelled horrendously wrong. Just kidding, just kidding.
Actually, I agree, more about the spelling than the signature thing (I occasionally post on a board where one member has never been able to make a post that is longer than his sig...it's about as long as you message, so I'm used to it). I understand that spelling comes to some people easier than others, but if English is your first language you should at least make an effort use punctuation and elementary grammar skills. I know I make mistakes, I'll be the first to admit it, but when

peoaple type like thisi t gets reely anoying adn tha'ts what teh edit buton is for...
Old 08-09-2002, 12:17 AM   #3
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

ROFL! Of course I spelled horrendously wrong! How horrendous of me! But like you, I too know the secret of the edit button!

Old 08-09-2002, 03:06 AM   #4
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Well, you see my title and signature.

I do skip long signatures.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 08-09-2002 at 03:09 AM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 05:27 AM   #5
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Some signatures are just too long. They do get annoying, so don't worry - you're not the only one.

I like mine short. Right now I'm fixed on ocassionally changing the quote and keeping up links to sites I call homes. I think they kinda speak for who the person is; you get either a piece of their thoughts or beliefs usually in sigs. I enjoy reading signatures most of the time, as long as they aren't lengthy.

You can't confuse my post with my sig because my sig is color coded.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 08-09-2002 at 05:29 AM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 05:30 AM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I have noticed an influx of newbies who don't seem to be able to spell squat. Maybe a few months ago this would have bugged me no end! - now I seem to have mellowed down a bit more, and so I just let it all slide. However, I do notice that if the thread response is by a certain person, I just won't read it, or I'll avoid posts by certain people. I do wish they would make a bit of an effort though. (What is with this influx of poor spellers lately? Is it a build up to TTT???)

As for sigs, they don't really bother me. I try to keep mine short and sweet though.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:51 AM   #7
noldo
Elven Icon Maker

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
I have noticed an influx of newbies who don't seem to be able to spell squat. Maybe a few months ago this would have bugged me no end!
Hurts, doesn't it?

I've been part of this board for 2 years, and everytime there's a new wave of sreaming and scrathing newbies coming, I just run...

"Orange is the new pink, and men are the new women."
noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 07:51 AM   #8
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

I will admit that my sig has gotten a bit long. but I have had plans to redo it soon. I just haven't had a chance yet. So neverfear, Bregalad, my sig will bug you no longer!

As for the spelling, I have noticed that lately too and it is really starting to bug me, especially when people post without using any capitilization or punctuation, or use words like plz, ppl, 2, 4, l8er, etc. a lot. We all abbrevialte things sometoimes, but when that's what your entire post is composed of, it makes me not want to read it. And Sween - nothing personal but please learn how to spell month!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 08:00 AM   #9
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

This is a big irritant.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:38 AM   #10
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

YOU CAN DISABLE SIGs FROM SHOWING ON POSTS!!!!!! STOP COMPLAINING!
Go to:
User CP
Click:
Edit Options
At option "Show user's signatures in their posts?" chooose:
No
Click:
Submit Modifications
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 09:42 AM   #11
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes Emplynx was kind enough to explain this to me when I complained, I've been very happy since! Thanks, Emplynx
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 11:41 AM   #12
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx
I'm not complaining. Only some of them get annoying. That's not worth keeping all of them from being seen, though.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 11:44 AM   #13
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Wat do zu zink off my spellink, den? Fery got, ton't zu!
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 12:27 PM   #14
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

Hmmmm...I think we are discussing, not complaining. I just wanted to hear people's opinions not start a bitch thread. And I have been enjoying all of your comments. I know that we can all choose the option of not seeing anyone's signatures at all, but I really enjoy reading most people's signatures. Since I can't block out only certain people's annoyingly enormous ones, I will continue to leave them on and just skip the members that I find over the top.

Galadriel88, your present sig, about being under construction, made me laugh right out loud! I loved it!

Old 08-09-2002, 12:37 PM   #15
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
But,.... but.... I like complaining! Besides most sigs are too good to let them pass unnoticed. Some sigs are large, but that's what the scrollbutton is for. It's a natural characteristic of sigs to get crowded, all the things and quotes you want to put in there.... It sure makes my fingers itch and I have to be picky what to put in mine.

Quote:
Wat do zu zink off my spellink, den? Fery got, ton't zu!
*briefly considers whacking Grey_Wolf but remembers that the rollerpin is still not repaired*

Spelling, is another matter. Some post can make you wonder for minutes just what the hell is written there. But all in all I think that most posts on the entmoot are fairly good written.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:47 PM   #16
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
But all in all I think that most posts on the entmoot are fairly good written.
As a non-native speaker you are forgiven. However, it should be fairly WELL written.

I know the chocolate made you do it.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 01:52 PM   #17
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Hehe, thanks Bregalad! I'm going to leave it on there as I add new things.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 03:04 PM   #18
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

I like some signatures, the ones that have meaningful messages or funny quotes. I also like it when people quote their favourite passage from the books, it reminds me of that bit of the book whenever I read one and refreshes it in my mind. So those signature are ok.
The ones i don't like, as Bregalad said, are the ridiculously long ones which ramble on about mothing, quoting things that nobody understands and are pretty meaningless.
I'm not so fussed about spelling though. Some people may only get the chance to come on here late at night or early morning when their brain aren't quite focussing yet. Or if they're in a hurry to post they might not get a chance to check what they've written at that moment. So i'm ok with bad spellers. Some people just can't spell. It's a fact.

Also, i never knew that you could turn people's signatures off. Thanks Emplynx. That's very handy.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:14 PM   #19
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
As a non-native speaker you are forgiven. However, it should be fairly WELL written. I know the chocolate made you do it.
Okay, now that is embarassing. It wasn't the chocolate though. I was trying to type and listen to my mum at the same time. Next time I go for the chocolate.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:13 PM   #20
Archbob the Elder
Enting

I should put something besides my website. Maybe my own quote.