Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2002, 01:30 PM   #1
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

Lilo and Stitch

Comments? Reviews? Insults? Chocolate cake? (Especially chocolate cake... Yummy )

I personally think it was a cute movie, and quite good considering the fact that it was made by Disney.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:14 PM   #2
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Disney is really losing its touch. After watching the coming attractions to "Country Bears," I see why their stock is going down .

Lilo and Stich was ok. It was better than Scooby Doo. It was a very stupid movie, but very cute. I laughed a lot, although not even half as much as the rest of the audience. My favorite line in the movie was when the alien was saying to Stich "You are ugly, repulsive, and disgusting..." and Stich cuts in and says "and cute and fluffy too."

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 05:07 PM   #3
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

I haven't seen it yet, but supposedly it's not as sweet or sentimental as some of the Disney classics. I loved Monsters Inc. which was quite sentimental, in my opinion. How sweet and sentimental is it? How not?
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 10:40 PM   #4
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

It actually looks like a decent and cute movie. I might see it when it comes out on video.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 06:13 PM   #5
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
It's pretty funny. OOH! MY FAVORITE QUOTE!

Quote:
Thus far you have been adrift in the sheltered harbour of my patience.
It is a good movie. I sugjest you go see it. And if you don't like it, you can hit me in the face with a pie.

Quote:
No wait, two pies! Then it will be twice as funny!
Thats what my stepdad says whenever there is a stupid joke thats twice as bad as it would be if it was only one pie.

I know. I'm confused too.

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Katt_knome_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 07:31 PM   #6
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I want to see it pretty badly. Yeah, I'm a dork
Old 06-28-2002, 10:23 PM   #7
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

I loved it. It's so cute, and i thought it was rather funny. "Blue punch buggy!" And I also like the fat guy with the tan line and the ice cream cone, who keeps losing the ice cream. I really liked it, it was pretty good for a kid movie, and waaaay better than Scooby Doo. But Tristan's right, The Country Bears looks pretty stupid. I do kinda want to see Treasure Planet though. Looks interesting.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 11:50 AM   #8
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Pretty good! Nice and funny. For once my mom didn't regret taking my 6 year old brother to a PG movie. It was funny too. Better than some of the latest Disnies. Country Bears=DUMB
Treasure Planet=Looks mostly like a modificated insult of a good novel. They've done it before. It looks like it might be good though.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
==========================
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 06:28 PM   #9
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I have to brag a bit...My Mom knows one of the artists(online) from Lilo and Stitch and so we might go and see it because of him. I haven't seen it and I was KIND of thinking "how stupid" but doesn't Stitch like get into trouble with alot of other Disney characters,because most of the posters I have seen the other disney characters like look REALLY mad at him AND there's this funny commercial where Stitch breaks the chandelier in Beauty and The Beast?
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 09:47 PM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I have to give this film credit for being different, and that makes it stand out where it wouldn't otherwise. I certainly enjoyed watching it, though there are moments when it feels a little overwrought, and a certain line that had some impact the first or second time through really gets over-repeated by the end of the thing. And as a whole, the movie was quite fun to watch until the big finale, when it just goes way over the top.

Full review eventually... I have to catch up on nine or ten of them...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 09:18 PM   #11
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

It didn't exceed my expectations, except that it was more sentimental than I thought it would be. I liked the A-Teens' performance of "Can't Help Falling In Love."
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 07:22 PM   #12
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
I thought it was so cute! It is one my list of favorite Disney Movie right along with The Emporers New Groove and Beauty and the Beast!
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:45 PM   #13
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

Bump.

Not really actually. My favorite quote is, "Did you burn yourself AGAIN???"

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 10:06 PM   #14
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I was pleasantly surprised. This was the first Disney cartoon in a long time that I actually liked. It was cute.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 06:49 PM   #15
Brokehorn4000
Elven Warrior

It was good, and no offense to Disney, but when they come up with something like Lilo and Stitch, they must be running out of ideas.

Stitch was really smart, wasn't he?
Brokehorn4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 07:34 PM   #16
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
SUMMARY

Stitch, a genetically engineered superweapon illegally designed by a mad scientist, escapes imprisonment and flees to Earth, where he lands in Hawaii and ends up in the care of Lilo (voiced by Daveigh Chase), a little girl in a broken family. Animated.

RECOMMENDED FOR:

Kids, and anyone who wants to see the Mouse House try something different from the norm - that is, other than Atlantis.

REVIEW

A superweapon arrives on Earth, and is befriended and protected by a little kid who pacifies it in the process. This has already been done in the brilliant but largely forgotten The Iron Giant, so it is tempting to make comparisons; but while Lilo & Stitch is not as good on the whole, it also approaches the subject from a different direction with an incomparably different focus. While The Iron Giant was on many levels an examination of Cold War paranoia, Lilo & Stitch wraps its subtexts around themes more familiar to its intended audience, notably that of family integrity.

And in that respect, Lilo & Stitch is commendable for, if anything, the risks it takes. This is no traditional Disney formula flick based on clichés and ideals. Instead, it opts for a very modern realism. There are real characters, real relationships and real problems at work throughout. We are talking about a central character who is an orphan cared for by her overstressed, unemployed sister Nani (voiced by Tia Carrere), who beats up another kid at a dance rehearsal and escapes her troubles by way of an Elvis Presley obsession. Then on the other end, we see a blue creature whom nobody wants, who pulls out four ray guns in a flash as nothing more than a matter of instinct, who has no purpose in life once he has destroyed all that he can destroy, who is artificially created and is without any friends or family to speak of at all. When was the last time we saw this degree of complexity in character design in an in-house Disney feature, as if someone actually put some thought into it?

The feel of the movie blurs the line between hand-drawn animation and live-action filmmaking, mostly because of the modern, realistic material, but also because of the inclusion of some mixed media here and there. For example, in one scene, Stitch watches a TV through a window, and it plays a clip from an old B-movie from the 1950s where a giant tarantula is wreaking havoc on a city. Lilo carries around a photo of Elvis Presley that is, in actuality, a photo of Elvis Presley. In many respects, Lilo & Stitch is a film that does not spend time reveling in being animated, but subdues the medium as an accessory to telling the story.

Unfortunately, the side effect of such an approach is that despite its unorthodox quirks in the family tree of Disney animation, in the grand scheme of things in the world of cinema of all media, Lilo & Stitch seems almost ordinary. This is evident by the last act of the film, in which the film falls into the trap of an over-the-top action sequence or two that works no better than the action-driven climax in Atlantis. Here, the heartfelt realism of the film, even with its fantasy elements, finds itself replaced by frivolity. And it doesn't help that around then, Stitch begins to speak comprehensible English; he was a far better character when he communicated physically, as with his reaction to the story of the Ugly Duckling, a recurring symbolic parable used throughout.

Speaking of recursion, it's a neat device to repeat a line of dialogue to recall the memory of an earlier scene, but do we really need to hear the same "ohana means family" line again and again and again and again? Just warning you.

Still, despite its flaws, Lilo & Stitch demands and deserves respect for being something different, and successfully so. To its credit, it possesses more genuine heart than any Mouse House feature in almost a decade. It will not be remembered as a classic by any stretch of the imagination, but for once, traditional animation has something fresh to offer. But if your interest in this movie is only as deep as the basic premise of a kid and a superweapon from outer space, do yourself a favour and see The Iron Giant.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote