Elven Warrior

My two favourite kinds of pie:
Hot and cold.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 08:34 PM   #7
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Melktert (Anduril should know what that is), chocolate, and lemon.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 08:35 PM   #8
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
3.141592653589793238462633832795028841971693993751 058209749445923078164 *breathes* Is that good? My memory sucks.
So, yes, if you round it, pi=3.

My favorite kinds of pi? I don't really care, just so long as the damn thing ain't on my homework!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 09:17 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Apple pie?
Old 06-18-2002, 10:15 PM   #10
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Yummm... pie. Definitely pecan, lemon, and chocolate.

I also like American Pie.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 10:27 PM   #11
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Um, Laurelyn, you missed the 4. After "..84626" there should be a 4. You went straight into the "..338327".

I only know it to the 45th place, although some kind soul in my math class last year printed it out to the 1 millionth for me.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 09:36 AM   #12
galadriel88

*shrugs* I just use 3.14, too lazy to bother with anything longer than that! Althougth there is a pi button on my calculator...

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
Old 06-19-2002, 09:41 AM   #13
Hans Moleman
Hobbit

To prove the rationality of pi by induction, assume that an N-digit approximation of pi is rational. This number can be expressed as the fraction M/(10^N). Multiplying approximation to pi, with N digits to the right of the decimal place, by (10^N) yields the integer M. Adding the next significant digit to pi can be said to involve multiplying both numerator and denominator by 10 and adding a number between between -5 and +5 (approximation) to the numerator. Since both (10^(N+1)) and (M*10+A) for A between -5 and 5 are integers, the (N+1)-digit approximation of pi is also rational. Also see that adding one digit to the decimal representation of a rational number, without loss of generality, does not make an irrational number.

Therefore, by induction on the number of decimal places, pi is rational.

"Ahh my brain"
Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 09:44 AM   #14
Hans Moleman
Hobbit

As every true distance in the physical universe is a finite number with a finite number of digits, and as the circumference and the diameter of a circle are, supposed to be, in reallity, distances in the physical universe, then if pi=c/d, as the product of any finite number multiplied by any other finite number can't equal infintity, and as true infinities are impossible in the physical universe, pi's digits cannot go on forever.

in a perfect circle, there would be an infinite precision, as there would have to be an infinite amount of points. So, you could get an irrational number. However, there is no such thing as a perfect circle in the physical universe

"Ahh my brain"
Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 09:52 AM   #15
Dwarven Sen
Elven Warrior

But pi isnt rational, even i know that. It is irratonal, as is its root, and its square.
How was pi found, i mean did someone find the circumference of lots of circles, and their radii and try to make the connection?
The universe is not finite, in theory nothing is finite.
If perfection and pi/rationality were proportional, than the world would be a very messed up place, infinetly twisted, which puts me in mind of helixes...........................

Dont heckle the supervillain

Note to Self: Remember that sarcasm is hard to detect from text.

What ever you do, don't click this link!

my LJ
Dwarven Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 02:19 PM   #16
galadriel88

Quote:
Originally posted by Hans MolemanAs every true distance in the physical universe is a finite number with a finite number of digits, and as the circumference and the diameter of a circle are, supposed to be, in reallity, distances in the physical universe, then if pi=c/d, as the product of any finite number multiplied by any other finite number can't equal infintity, and as true infinities are impossible in the physical universe, pi's digits cannot go on forever.

in a perfect circle, there would be an infinite precision, as there would have to be an infinite amount of points. So, you could get an irrational number. However, there is no such thing as a perfect circle in the physical universe
To prove the rationality of pi by induction, assume that an N-digit approximation of pi is rational. This number can be expressed as the fraction M/(10^N). Multiplying approximation to pi, with N digits to the right of the decimal place, by (10^N) yields the integer M. Adding the next significant digit to pi can be said to involve multiplying both numerator and denominator by 10 and adding a number between between -5 and +5 (approximation) to the numerator. Since both (10^(N+1)) and (M*10+A) for A between -5 and 5 are integers, the (N+1)-digit approximation of pi is also rational. Also see that adding one digit to the decimal representation of a rational number, without loss of generality, does not make an irrational number.

Therefore, by induction on the number of decimal places, pi is rational.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dwarven SenBut pi isnt rational, even i know that. It is irratonal, as is its root, and its square.
How was pi found, i mean did someone find the circumference of lots of circles, and their radii and try to make the connection?
The universe is not finite, in theory nothing is finite.
If perfection and pi/rationality were proportional, than the world would be a very messed up place, infinetly twisted, which puts me in mind of helixes...........................

What in Middle Earth... I'm gonna leave this conversation until someone starts speaking English again!

Old 06-19-2002, 06:07 PM   #17
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
What in Middle Earth... I'm gonna leave this conversation until someone starts speaking English again!
It is English.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:09 PM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Actually quantum mechanics has postulated that there ARE finately small and large numbers rather than infinites, so Hans is on the ball there Sen.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:38 PM   #19
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Is there anything quantum mechanics doesn't explain.

Blueberry pie.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:45 PM   #20
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by webwizard333
Is there anything quantum mechanics doesn't explain.
Well, considering that it deals with the building blocks of everything...