Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-09-2002, 01:46 AM   #1
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

A heinous task

You are mysteriously transformed into an editor screenwirter workin g to adapt "The Two Towers" to film. You've just received instructions to delete or massively cut down three chapters. As much as you love the book, your desire to see it to the big screen and keep your job. Which one's do pick and why?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 09:25 AM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

well, eliminate all the running, just have Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas go right into the riders of Rohan. Have Gandalf just come riding out dramatically at the right moment. Eliminate the orc travel with Merry and Pip, just have the orcs carry them off to Fangorn and then they slip away during an orc fight, meeting Treebeard. I have to go, will study the Frodo stuff and hatchet that!
Old 06-09-2002, 10:10 AM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

So, Frodo and Sam walk through soom horrible landscape, tame Smeagol, meet Faramir and the boys, do all that, and leave looking appropriately terrified with what hideousness that is to come. The impossible part (for me) is to determine what scenes to stick Arwen ( and Eowyn too) in where they don't belong. Even worse, making up totally new stuff (swordfight with Aragorn) for the ladies to do. I've read somewhere here where Shelob is in RoTK, so I don't include that. Why was that so easy!!!! There's something wrong with me! Sorry, sorry, sorry.

So that eliminates The departure of Boromir, The Urak Hai, The passage of the Marshes, The Black gate is closed, (more or less, I haven't read TT in a couple months. Why did I pick them, because I felt it was do-able while still having a story most people would find interesting.( Most people who haven't read the books of course. I could live with this though.)

Last edited by Lizra : 06-09-2002 at 10:39 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 04:39 PM   #4
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

i would move the later parts of the two towers to the Return of the king cuz rotk is shorter.
i couldnt stand that job..i wouldnt want to cut anything out
Old 06-09-2002, 06:37 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'd cut out most of "Riders of Rohan", most of the "window of the west" Faramir chapters (love 'em, but they'd a bit of a side step in the movie), and "Of herbs and stewed rabbit"

What a horrid job that would be! Ergh. I wouldn't want to be the one to hack a masterpiece to pieces.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 06-09-2002 at 06:40 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 06:49 PM   #6
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

Me? I'd quit. That is just a bit much for me.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 07:48 PM   #7
azalea
Long lost mooter

Flotsam and Jetsam (cuts out some time spent at Isengard w/out cutting out the "reunion" or the episode w/ Saruman)
The Window on the West (again cuts out stuff w/ out totally eliminating an episode)
Journey to the Crossroads -- cuts out some travelling that would slow down the movie.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 10:55 PM   #8
Cirdan

I would lean towards the early chapters of book 1 and 2. Whip through Boromir's funeral and the palantir. The trip to the Black Gate could been trimme a bit. I'm not sure about trimming out Faramir's meeting with Frodo, since he is a prominent figure as the story continues in the RoTK. The herbs and Rabbits could be shortened.

How would you mix books 1 & 2 to give the movie a linnear plot line?

I think I has to end with The Coices of Master Samwise. That is a seg that really leaves you ready to jump into RoTK without a break. Non-readers will have to suffer for a year.

But what part of book 1 makes the best lead in to a "blend" of the chronologies? Since it is between the two, some things could be left for the RoTK.

Long stretches of Frodo, Sam, and Gollum may not hold the infidel's interest as much as the battle scenes in book 1. I expect that Helm's Deep will get extensive coverage. Lots of Saruman and Ents!
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-10-2002, 02:26 AM   #9
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Well, considering how much they've shifted off to the third movie, and not to mention Boromir's departure was put on the end of the first - I wouldn't cut out anything (just shorten the lengthy descriptive scenes) and I'm done.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 09:42 AM   #10
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa
Well, considering how much they've shifted off to the third movie, and not to mention Boromir's departure was put on the end of the first - I wouldn't cut out anything (just shorten the lengthy descriptive scenes) and I'm done.
Hey, I said three chapters. Your fired! (j/k)

Actually, I noticed, when looking at which cuts to make, that there are many descriptive sections. It must be because the fellowship breaks into three (four with Gandalf) groups, each moving through new geography. I guess the video can cover that quicker than the print.

Never mind. Your promoted with a big bonus!

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-11-2002, 06:15 PM   #11
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

i was just about to say that!
lots of them thar chapters are describing alot of stuff, like the crossroads chapter i think is there to one, tell us where and how frodo and co. got up there, and to show frodo wasting away. the movie can show that in a much shorter time, plus the visual thing with frodo getting more worn can be said with no words.
ok. yea, that's it.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:12 PM   #12
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, a "back and forth" between Sam and Frodo and the rest would definately be done (if the two books must be done as one movie ).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 12:28 AM   #13
Cirdan

How about a "Memento" style. How did I get in this tower?

It's will be interesting to see how the parallel plot lines are managed. Someone probably already knows. I haven't gone looking for clues (yes, I even avoided the trailer). There has to be some surprise.

I forsee a flipping from battle scene to ring bearers and back and forth. Ents and Rohan with Eowyn close-ups.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 06-13-2002, 11:15 AM   #14
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Oh boy. This is how I would do it. Show Aragorn saying lets hunt some orc then have them going off to hunt some orc. Shorten the meeting of Eomer and the hunters, chow Aragorn picking up a brooch without explaining what's up with it. AND then show Pippin running off and dropping the brooch. Have the escape and a small glimpse of the battle. Then have the meeting of Treebeard and the hobbits. Shorten or cut Wellinghall, and shorten the Moot, shwo the ents on the move. Then have the hunters see Saruman/Gandalf whichever one it is SHORTLY, like off in the ditance or not at all. Then have Gandalf come back in full glory and awesomeness. Then of course shorten the meeting between Theoden and have just a brief glimpse of Eoywen Looking at Aragorn and not staring him down in a sword fight. Cut the scenes with Arwen. Show Wormtongue being cowed and then go on to Helms Deep. Have a kind of contest between elf and dwarf. Then have dawn come and have Arkenbrand and the trees and th White Rider return.
Then have a glimpse of Wormtongue tattling on Theoden. Then have a shortened meeting of the Hobbits and hunters and then have them bid a brief goodbye to Saruman(We have to see his staff in half), and then have the Plantir come down and almost knock Pippin in the head. Have him catch it and bring it to Gandalf. Have the following Palantir scenes. Go to Frodo and Sam.
With that dont cut anything! Leave everything in. I dont care if it takes forever. Leave it all in.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 08:50 PM   #15
Entlover
Elven Warrior

The trouble with shortening so many scenes is that it would end up very choppy, hard to follow for those who don't know it.
But I would cut the Black Gate is Closed, just have them run straight into Faramir. Cannot do without the Dead Marshes, with all the dead faces in the water. That could be so cool.

A question: do you think TT will start with a prologue as the first one did, summing up the whole history plus what happened in FotR? We could spend fifteen minutes recapping what everybody in the known world already knows.

How would you start it off?
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 12:14 AM   #16
Cirdan

A had been thinking about that, but I wasn't sure what would fit the style of the previous film without being too long. You somethimes see those clipped flashback.

For example, as they are sending Boromir off in the boat, there could be clipped discussion of the recent event spliced with short (a few frames) of the previous action. It may be too film noir to fit with the more linnear epic saga format of the previous episode.

I would expect that there would be some financial motive to limit the flashbacks to all bu the breaking of the fellowship. If the viewer hadn't seem the FotR, then they might want to do so.

It might not be a bad idea to have a rerelease of FotR to play in the big cineplexes a few times prior to the release of TT.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary