Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-11-2002, 12:55 AM   #1
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
Gollum Frodo in the movie v.s. Frodo in the book

Did anyone besides me notice that in the movie, Frodo seemed kind of helpless? I mean, in the book, at Weathertop at least he struck out at the Witch-king:in the movie all he had to do was scream(no offence, Frodo).At the Watcher, again, the yelling.No swinging his sword even!It was always,''save Frodo''''save Frodo''! Does that annoy anyone else?

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 02:58 AM   #2
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Yes. It annoys me most that he had to hitch a ride with Arwen instead of riding Glorfindal's horse to the Ford, and defying the Black Riders alone. But I suppose they had to give her something to do.
It's true at Weathertop they did everything almost exactly as in the book except that Frodo did not "strike at the feet of his enemy." I can see why, they would paralyze me with terror too.
But he certainly seems brave, everytime he has to make a decision (leaving the Shire, offering to take on the quest in Rivendell, going off alone at the end) he does the valiant thing; he's just not a warrior type. Perhaps they wanted to leave the fighting to Strider, et al.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 04:33 AM   #3
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I'm not sure but i think Peter Jackson may have been trying to get how the ring can change a person.

For instance at weathertop he did not srike out but when boromir attacks, Frodo attacks Bromir himself which suggests that the ring was making a him a little more violent. Then again it could just be Peter Jackson wanted to get the point accross about how scary the ringwraiths really are. Either that or Elijah Wood forget in that scene that he was supposed to strike out! No one knows but the man himself.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 03:16 PM   #4
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by StrawberryIcecream
[ Either that or Elijah Wood forget in that scene that he was supposed to strike out! No one knows but the man himself. [/B]
Sorry, but actors don't forget. The director reminds them and they do it over 20 times til they get it right.
I hate to admit that the ring is changing Frodo, so I will say that he didn't attack the wraiths when he should have (a directorial choice that I don't agree with) but he did fight off Boromir. PJ is just trying to make it dramatically effective.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 03:30 PM   #5
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I know! it was a joke. or an attemp at one anyway.

Old 05-12-2002, 09:01 AM   #6
Polkat
Enting

Location: yateley which is a small and rather boring town in england!
Sam Gamgee not really

Didn't notice great difference really, but have only read Lord of the Rings twice [please dont kill me] and have watched the movie 4 times so really I am more familiar with the movie than the book.

Always enjoy watching Frodo's valient attempt to beat the ringwraiths. Oh no! What shall I do? I know I'll fall to the ground, drop my sword and crawl backwards. Yes, great plan!

Oh yer. Did however notice difference in ages. There is no way you can believe Elijah Wood [mmm] is 50 or that Billy Boyd is 9 which is the age he should be at Bilbo's party [spent many hours poured over the appendix working this out to make up for shoddy lack of reading the rest of the book]
Old 05-12-2002, 02:23 PM   #7
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Frodo doesn't look 50 anyway in the book though. Doesn't the ring stop him ageing from about 33 (not that EW looks over 30 either!).
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 02:31 PM   #8
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Well basically everything has been changed in some way.

look at this difference:
Books: Takes 17 years for Frodo to leave the shire upon heraing that he has to.
Movie: takes about 5 minutes

Old 05-12-2002, 05:10 PM   #9
azalea
Long lost mooter

I don't buy the argument that the ring was why Frodo didn't look 50 (in the movie). He wasn't using it, and even if it had some influence without him using it, it wouldn't be like NO time had passed, he would at least look a little older (like in his thirties). With Bilbo it was different because he did use it. I think it's just because Hollywood likes it's lead characters young and good-looking. But I thought Elijah did a good job anyway.

Let me clarify: I just meant that if I were doing the movie and knew that I would have no apparent time passing between the party and the adventure, I would have cast an older actor. But at least the young actor that was cast did a good job and looked as much like Frodo as I thought he should look.

Last edited by azalea : 05-12-2002 at 05:19 PM.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 05:52 PM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Don't forget that hobbits age differently than humans. Hobbits live longer. They were reckoned to be mature at the age of 33. Humans (now) are reckoned to be mature at the age of 18 or 21. So I doubt a hobbit of 50 years will look as old as a human of the same age. Therefore I doubt the ring was involved.
Old 05-13-2002, 02:08 AM   #11
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS (I KNOW YOU'RE OUT THERE)

I agree, Eärniel. Also, I think that Frodo in the movie would approach the character of Frodo in the books when we see the next installments of the movie. FOTR introduced many of the characters and so the guys who die get to have the best parts (Boromir and Gandalf) whether or not they come back. Legolas and Gimli's big moments are in TTT while the 4 hobbits (even Sam, for the movie) are going to be in ROTK.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 02:42 AM   #12
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I agree with Arathorn. Wow, this was a pointless post!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 07:39 PM   #13
Gorhiriel
Elven Warrior

Hmm

Personally, Iam very P/O'd that PJ didn't include Frodo's heroic standoff against the Nazgul at the River. Arwen got it instead. Grrrr.

BOROMIR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"And anon shall I Sail into the West: with the setting sun I shall remove my light from this world..."
Gorhiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 07:42 PM   #14
Eruviel Greenleaf

You, and the rest of the moot, Gorhiriel! Wait--did anyone like that Arwen took over entirely there? I probably spoke to soon

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-14-2002, 08:00 PM   #15
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

slipping liv tyler into glorfindel's part was a cheap attempt to sell more tickets..i hated the idea but well..she did like pretty damn fine
Old 05-14-2002, 08:14 PM   #16
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil
slipping liv tyler into glorfindel's part was a cheap attempt to sell more tickets..i hated the idea but well..she did like pretty damn fine
I'll agree to that, I suppose

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-14-2002, 08:21 PM   #17
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

sorry that was a typo..i meant look pretty damn fine.. i suppose she did a decent job tho?
Old 05-14-2002, 08:25 PM   #18
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by Tar-Elendil
sorry that was a typo..i meant look pretty damn fine.. i suppose she did a decent job tho?
I figured that was what you meant. I think she was okay, nothing too remarkable. Except for that one line....*eek!*

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-14-2002, 08:30 PM   #19
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

they shoulda left in frodos line across the ford..
"if you want him, come and claim him!" bah, pitiful..frodos was better
Old 05-14-2002, 11:06 PM   #20
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Quote:
I hate to admit that the ring is changing Frodo
But the ring DOES change Frodo. It makes him more aware for one thing, another thing it makes him more defensive. He NEVER would have called Sam a theif under normal circumstances, but the Ring has a way of distorting things.
*sigh* WHY have a character in LOTR that wont show up again? I mean Glorfindel MIGHT have been a fellowship member once apon a time but Tolkien decided to change it. So it's ALOT more sense to have Arwen in there. But I notcied something in the movie:

Naz:Give up the halfling SHE ELF.
Arw:If you want him...then come and claim him.
*nazgul move in. What Arwen is Thinking.*
Arw:*thinking* S*** they took me seriously, it was a BLUFF. I didn't mean it.

I think PJ was aming for the not too brave physically as in goes around swinging swords and chopping limbs off but more of a mentally brave person and willing to do whatever it takes. Movie Frodo was brave in THAT way. He took the Ring even though he didn't want to, yet he took it anyway. So it was more of a spiritual bravery and not physical. As for physical bravery in Hobbits THAT has to go to Merry and Pippin. Jumping on a troll and attacking it, stealing vegetables from a farmer with dogs, stealing a firecracker from a wizard, luring the Orcs away from Frodo.
I DID notcied that Frodo struck out at the troll with his sword AND ran into the fray to kill some orcs in Moria. AND was gonna go back to Gandalf AND he even followed Galadriel to the Mirror, which with the way Galadriel was acting I would have just stayed in bed. Maybe he struck the troll because he was SICK AND TIRED of being held upside down by things BIGGER than he was, and being picked up thrown around, dropped, falling etc. He took alot of knocks and bangs poor chap.
But let's just say I like both Frodo's equally because they've got ALOT of bravery and spunk I guess you could say although that's not the thing to say about serious minded thoughtful Frodo. I dunno.
Ok I'll shut up.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote