Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-29-2002, 07:12 PM   #1
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Galadriel's Hair

hmm..i need to learn how to read more carefully..i was reading over "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn" in Unfinished Tales the other day and came across the part talkin about galadriel's hair saying "...her hair was held a marvel unmatched. It was golden like the hair of her father and of her foremother Indis, but richer and more radient, for its gold was touched by some memory of the starlike silver of her mother; and the Eldar said that the light of the Two Trees, Laurelin and Telperion, had been snared in her tresses." It goes on saying how thrice Fëanor asked of Galadriel a tress, but she didnt give him one hair and how this might of been how the thought of creating the Silmarils came to the mind of Fëanor. Ok, now to the point. In FoTR "Farewell to Lorien" page 367, after Gimli asks Galadriel for a single strand of her hair, it says "The Elves stirred and murmured with astonishment, and Celeborn gazed at the Dwarf in wonder, but the Lady smiled." Now i understand this much better has anything similar to this happened to anyone?
Old 04-29-2002, 07:14 PM   #2
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

**waiting for a smart remark from Wayfarer**
Old 04-29-2002, 09:42 PM   #3
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Nope. Haven't had anything like that happen to me yet. But I'm sure that if I studied the Unfinished Tales and probably the Silmarillion, that it would happen plenty of times. I might have to take a closer look at the Unfinished Tales.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 09:47 AM   #4
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

Yes, I really liked that part. It's interesting, when you read the Sil and UT how things in LORT will just have SOO much more meaning once you understand what it really is all about. Like the stone Galadriel gave Aragorn. That was cool.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:16 AM   #5
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

yea...i read both those books a while back, so mebbe i should read em again to refresh my memory..