Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-28-2002, 07:34 PM   #1
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

John Grisham

ive had a couple people tell me i should read a book by John Grisham..i saw a couple of weeks ago his book The Summons was #1 on fiction chart...should i read his books and exactly what kind of genre is his books?
Old 05-03-2002, 06:18 AM   #2
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I would reccomend most of his books, very interesting. He writes in the genre of legal thriller (his was a lawyer before he wrote). My personal favorite by him would be The Firm.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:29 PM   #3
Jadera
Elven Warrior

My mom has all of his books and enjoys them emensly. (sp? sorry) I am going to start The Firm this week. I like legal thrillers, so he seems like a good author.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 09:44 PM   #4
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Well, I've finished the Summons and I do recoment it. It was very clever and kept me in suspense. I won't give the plot away though.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:23 AM   #5
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

I read the Firm and the Pelican Breif and they were good but a little too...uuhhh...*thinking of right word to use*...desciptive?

Also, I thought the Pelican Breif lacked a good climax, it was kinda dissapointing.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:52 AM   #6
Huan
Elven Warrior

I usually am not one of those posters who infiltrate a thread about an artist I don't care for, because I sure don't like when people who hate The Beatles go and dis them in a Beatles thread started by a Beatles fan (for example), but since you're asking whether to read Grisham's books, no no no, don't. I wouldn't touch those things with an a-bomb. And I say this as a longtime citizen of Oxford, Mississippi, Grisham's longtime place of residence. He gets us lots of publicity whenever he puts out a book, but it's publicity I could live without.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 02:30 PM   #7
Bodo Fraggins
Sapling

I have just finished reading The Testiment, and am about to start The Firm, it is a great read, easy but not boring.
It was written in a style that is different from other books I have read, its is more infomational that descriptive, he gives the facts without too much...umm...description?!

I would recommend The Testement, havent read the others, but Im sure they're just as good.

Oh, and The Beatles are great
Bodo Fraggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 02:50 AM   #8
Baby-K
Corruptor

TE, perhaps you should try get hold of some info re the book first & then if you like the idea go ahead & read it. IMO you are bound to have many people telling you yeah - go and read it because most of the people who reply to your question will most likely be those of us who enjoy Grisham's writing.

I enjoyed The Firm, The Street Lawyer and The Runaway Jury, it is quite obvious that Grisham writes about what he knows, which lends more credibility to his works, without resorting to a lot of legal jargon. For the most part the plot in his books are very cleverly weaved with a lot of intrigue and suspense, however he does tend to get caught up in the description of a character / event at length sometimes, which detracts fron the storyline (this is not the case in all his works though).

If you do not like Legal dramas I would suggest that you rather not read Grisham, but his works are worthwile if you enjoy suspense thrillers. Perhaps you'd prefer to read one of his earlier works first?
Old 03-09-2003, 01:25 AM   #9
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I started reading The Runaway Jury, but then I had to give it back to the friend from whom I had borrowed it, and I wasn't done! Must...finish....yeah. Grisham is a REALLY good author.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:06 AM   #10
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
I started reading The Runaway Jury, but then I had to give it back to the friend from whom I had borrowed it, and I wasn't done! Must...finish....yeah. Grisham is a REALLY good author.
Is The Runaway Jury about the people who sue (I hope this is the right word) a cigarette company?
I've read it last year and I was really surprised how interesting a book about a jury can be. Grisham really knows what he is writing about.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:14 AM   #11
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Is The Runaway Jury about the people who sue (I hope this is the right word) a cigarette company?
I've read it last year and I was really surprised how interesting a book about a jury can be. Grisham really knows what he is writing about.
Yup, that's right. It took me some time to get into the book, but when I did I was unable to put it down. The end was the best!
Old 03-11-2003, 02:04 PM   #12
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I also read The Rainmaker ... it was good but the movie sucks.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:20 PM   #13
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

I have read almost all of his books.

DONT EVR read the "the painted house" it sucked big time, and also the "christmas" one.

All others are amazing, especially the CLIENT and the FIRM.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:35 AM   #14
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
DONT EVR read the "the painted house" it sucked big time, and also the "christmas" one.
Why are they that bad? Are they boring?