Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2002, 05:06 PM   #1
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

I am sooooooooo nervous...

Somebody help me here!!!!! My band's spring concert is tonight and I am so completely scared!!!! Mostly because I don't think I'm ready ona couple of songs. The other trombonist wasn't there today b/c of a track meet so I didn't have a lot of help in band class, either, in fact I really messed up! I felt so embarrassed when I goofed during class, imagine how I'll feel during the concert if I mess up?!?!?! Can anybody at least give me some moral support?????

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 05:08 PM   #2
Arian
Elven Warrior

Just take a deep breath and play your best and you will do fine. i get nervous before band concerts. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:48 PM   #3
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Enjoy yourself, drink lots of water, and ignore the crowd. Your there with ur freinds in the band, to have a Jam, just chill.

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 07:59 PM   #4
galadriel88

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try to relax, although I feel like I'm gonna be sick (this is not normal for me when I'm nervous!)!! We have to be there in 1/2 an hour, and the concert starts in 1 hour - aaaaah!!!!!! Deep breaths, deeeep breaths...

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
Old 04-23-2002, 08:29 PM   #5
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I'm sure you'll be fine. I always freak out before a concert, but I keep it to myself so I don't freak other folks out. I've always made it through the concert though. (Not always with all the right notes, but I made it through ) What are you playing? You'll also have to tell us how you did.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 08:31 PM   #6
Elf Girl
Lurker

Play quietly where you don't think you'll be perfect. Never stop counting! (As my band director would say) You'll be great!
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 09:32 PM   #7
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

Good luck! Here's my advice... I don't know if you'll read it before you perform or not but hopefully you do. HAVE FUN! If you have fun at what you are doing you won't be thinking about what will happen if you mess up. And if you mess up... just smile! It makes it a lot better... so get in there and make me proud!

¿Which came first... the chicken or the egg?

¿How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
elf_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 10:40 PM   #8
galadriel88

Thanks a bunch guys, it helped alot. The concert went well, despite my messing up a million times...(my mom said she couldn't tell so i hope everybody else didn't!) And it turned out that the other trombonist messed up too so I wasn't the only one. I was still really nervous, especially with me not finding one peice of music until right before we started , but I was OK when we got going. I had fun and it was great. Thanks again guys, ya'll are great!!!

Old 04-23-2002, 10:50 PM   #9
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Any time. What songs did you play?

Old 04-23-2002, 10:55 PM   #10
galadriel88

Let's see, with the junior band we played American Medley and Intrepid, a concert march. Then with the senior band, we played Ashton Overture, March Atlantis, and the Theme from the Pink Panther. then both band came together and played A Concert Celebration. It was alot of fun, i bet all you band geeks out there would have enjoyed it! If I have time later I'll find the composers of the songs.

Old 04-23-2002, 11:03 PM   #11
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Cool. I've played March Atlantis before. I thought it was pretty neat. How big is your high school band?

Old 04-23-2002, 11:09 PM   #12
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Congratulations, galadriel! Job well done! (I didn't HEAR it, but oh well...I'm sure it was.)

I'm not in band, but I always get nervous before I sing. But once I pretend that I'm all alone, singing just for myself, I become so emotionally wrapped up in the song that I forget to be scared.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 06:21 PM   #13
galadriel88

Yeah, March Atlantis is a great peice of music. It was the hardest for me though b/c it's in cut time, which i've never played before now. Also because I didn't get as much practice on it as the other band members - I'll explain that in a minute.

This may take a while, but here goes. I go to a small private christian K - 12 school, and last year was the first year we ever had a band. We don't have a football team so we don't have a marching band, but we last year we started witha concert band/pep band (for basketball games). It was open to all high schoolers (grades 7 - 12), and since I was in 6th grade last year, which is still elementary at my school, I couldn't be in band. This year, everyone who was in band last year or has at least one year of experience is in senior band, and the junior band is for all 6th and 7th graders who are just learning their instruments, with the exception of one girl who has played trumpet for 2 years but couldn't be in senior band because of the way the schedule works. I am the only trombonist in junior band, and there is only one other one in the entire school. His name is Will and he's in senior band. Because Anna has had 2 years of experience on trumpet and because I was doing well and Miss Patton needed another low brass sound, she asked us to play with the senior band in the spring concert. However, with me it started with, "Just look at the music for Ashton Overture and see if you'd like to play with us." Then it grew into, "Well, i think you could handle the Pink Panther too, here's the music." You get the picture - March Atlantis was the last peice of music I got. Therefore, I got less practice on it than the others.

As for the size of our bands, each band has roughly 15 members. Very small compared to many high schools, huh?

Well, now that I've bored you with all that...did anybody actually read all that stuff???

Old 04-24-2002, 06:31 PM   #14
TinuvielChild
Padawan

i did! that's...wow. i play in the chamber orchestra at the music center where i take violin, and i always freak out before a concert!
ANY concert. especially non-orchestra ones where i have either a solo or a first violin part (i'm normally a second). i usually breathe deeply and just try to relax. i usually mess up somewhat, because i don't practice as often as i ought, but i've gotten so much better at reading and faking that it's hardly noticeable.

right now we're doing Hoedown from Rodeo, something from Carmen (the opera - funfun!), Spring from the Four Seasons, and something else that i can't remember off the top of my head. my favorite is Hoedown, it's so much fun! anyway congratulations on not screwing up too badly with less rehearsal than the others!

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 06:33 PM   #15
Elf Girl
Lurker

15 members...so lucky. My band has 50 at least.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:27 PM   #16
galadriel88

Why am I lucky? I only have one person to go to when I need help - in most bands you have like, 5 others!!!

Old 04-24-2002, 07:29 PM   #17
Elf Girl
Lurker

Hmmmmmmmm...Well I guess it's the fact that I am the person the other flutes go to when they need help, (I'm ahead) so the individual attention factor is the biggest thing.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:41 PM   #18
galadriel88

Yeah, I guess that's true. Now that I think about it, I don't think I would have been asked to play with the senior band if our band was really big...

Old 04-24-2002, 08:00 PM   #19
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Yeah... I go to a 2A high school with a small band. We have 1 flute, 8 clarinets (1 that doesn't really play), 2 bass clarinets, 1 tenor sax that plays most of the time, 3 alto saxes with 2 that aren't that strong, 2 baritones (1 that doesn't play), a baritone/tuba player, 4 trumpet players (including me), 1 french horn, and about 7 percussionists. We have about 29 or 30 people that play. Even though we don't have very many people, we have some very good players. I have made All-State and some other honor bands before, another trumpet player has made District Honor Band, our baritone/tuba/whatever band has made All-State, our main sax player has made District Honor Band, and our 1st chair clarinet makes All-State every year. Maybe your small band will grow some good talent, galadriel88. I think we're a good example that you don't have to have 250 members to sound good. It'll take a few years, but after that your band will be sounding awesome and I bet you'll be a great trombone player.

Old 04-24-2002, 08:38 PM   #20
Elf Girl
Lurker

Our drummers are crazy. They whack they're drums so hard that the echo is enough to knock you out.