Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2002, 06:57 AM   #1
Sween
im quite stupid

Gandalf People who have never read the book but are now massive fans

I have never read the book for lord or the rings (dont like reading) but i have to say that the movie is now my all time number 1 and two towers looks even better.

Am i the only one that thinks that all the parts you are complaining about been missing would make the movie make less sence know they would of confused the hell out of me.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:17 AM   #2
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

There is an earlier thread about this somewhere...
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 07:53 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

People who have never read the book, but are now massive fans.... need to go boil themselves in oil. With me overlooking of course. And while they are at it, perhaps they would also like to yank their intestines out through their ears?

Oh, of course I am only kidding. I wouldn't have to do anything, all the other rabid fans would get to you before I did....

Last edited by BeardofPants : 04-23-2002 at 09:00 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 08:04 AM   #4
Elf Girl
Lurker

Welcome to the Moot! Most of us fanatics like it when people decide to read the books because of the movie, but we strongly dislike it when they think they know everything about the book because they have seen he movie. The book and the movie are differant works. The parts that we are angry because they got left out may have made the movie make less sense, but people cannot pretend to know the story without having read them. I would reccomend reading the books, if you don't want to read all thousand-odd pages of them, you could have someone reading to you or by them on tape. If you read them, you'll see what we mean.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 08:05 AM   #5
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

Sween - its a bit like having egg and chips with no tomatoe sauce,
the basis of the meal is there but its not quite as enjoyable. If your not into reading too much , why dont you start the way most of us started , read the Hobbit. If not then just let us have a bit of a moan as some great characters and episodes have had to be left out - Fatty Bolger , Bombadil , Farmer Maggot etc.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 08:55 AM   #6
Darth Tater
The man

You are not a fan of Tolkien's. You are not a fan of The Lord of the Rings. Never call yourself one until you've actually read it! You're lying to yourself. You are a fan of a movie that wasn't even made for you.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 09:03 AM   #7
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
You are not a fan of Tolkien's. You are not a fan of The Lord of the Rings. Never call yourself one until you've actually read it! You're lying to yourself. You are a fan of a movie that wasn't even made for you.
I think that's a little harsh tater, a movie is for whoever wants to see it.

The rest of what you said? I agree. You can't be a fan of what you don't know.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 09:12 AM   #8
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

yikes !! you lot really go for the throat - hope I dont say anything controversial , if I do , I appologise now.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 10:46 AM   #9
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Not this topic again, everybody, read peoples posts before attempting to put words into others mouthes.

Quote:
I think that's a little harsh tater, a movie is for whoever wants to see it.
That's true, but Tater never said it wasn't. Tater is right, you would be a fan of Peter Jackson and co and their movie, not Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 09:48 PM   #10
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I think you can be a fan of the movie without having read the books, but you can't say your a fan of LOTR/Tolkien without reading the books.
I think its great that people read the book after having seen the movie. How can you wait to find out what happens in the TT and ROTK?
I would have loved to have seen Bombadil ect. but to put it in the nicest possible way, I really wouldn't care what people who haven't read the book think. But PJ wants to make money, so he has to make it easy for everyone to understand.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:32 PM   #11
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
tater...

1. i didn't see a label on the movie that said for all the tolkein fans. and them only.
otherpeople can go see a movie!
not just you!

nurrrg

oh and 2. this is the MOVIE board. he/she was talking about the MOVIE.

now if this was on the books forum, then i would have a big hairy testicled problem with it. but it isn't,, so i don't i just have a probalem with you, people who shut down threads because they aren't in the right place, yelling or being ticked at someone for putting a thread about the MOVIE in the MOVIE forum.

wasn't this created for the MOVIE???

my god, i thought therapy would have cured this by now.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:34 PM   #12
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

to put it simply, this person is a movie fan talking about the movie. in the movie forum i might add. WHY OH WHY do youhave a problem with this? tell me, i'll listen

( i didn't edit the first one cause i know how frustating it can be to not know what was there, soo woo hoo! go me)
Old 04-25-2002, 02:39 AM   #13
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Re: People who have never read the book but are now massive fans

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
I have never read the book for lord or the rings (dont like reading) but i have to say that the movie is now my all time number 1 and two towers looks even better.

Am i the only one that thinks that all the parts you are complaining about been missing would make the movie make less sence know they would of confused the hell out of me.
Being a fan of the book as well as the movie, I agree that the latter is not the same as the former but merely an interpretation for the visual medium.

I, like many, would like to think that the movie's success in the box-office has inspired people to finally read the books and am one with them in encouraging you to do so.

Many book fans agree that adding scenes would make it more confusing if not done well. The time limitations given certainly make this more likely to happen. The disagreements start when asked which scenes should've been or should be cut.

So far, it seems the most we do agree on was the modifications on the ford scene since it was glaringly different from what we have read and also changes the roles of at least 3 characters.

I would also like to share with you the added fun of being able to have read the books:
1. You get to see much more of their thoughts.
2. You get to know the correct timeline during the adventures.
3. You can be sure that your info is first hand and not simply based on someone's discretion of what to take out and what to leave in or [COLOR]what to change (perish the thought)[/COLOR].
4. You get the pleasure of more appropriately making a critique of the movie.

P.S. See the other threads on this forum for the other reasons.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 04-25-2002 at 02:45 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 05:59 AM   #14
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel

my god, i thought therapy would have cured this by now.
If having trouble with therapy try painting your therapist a different colour.

Oh yeah, id advise reading the books even if you don't like reading then you'll get into it.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:27 AM   #15
azalea
Long lost mooter

There are some people who do not like to read because they have a hard time reading. I think there are many people who can see and enjoy the movie without reading the books. That is why the movie was made the way it was, without every detail. But if one likes the movie so much to go on a message board and start a thread about it, it certainly wouldn't hurt to at least listen to the books on tape, (even if one waits until after the movie to listen to it, if one prefers to be surprised by the movie.)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:07 AM   #16
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
There are some people who do not like to read because they have a hard time reading. I think there are many people who can see and enjoy the movie without reading the books. ... it certainly wouldn't hurt to at least listen to the books on tape...
There are people in my life... who cannot read for a variety of reasons (thus they do not get on the net) but are very intelligent people who can discuss books better than me because of books on tape. It is a real godsend for many fine folk. But maybe if you start a thread on a Tolkien board you could take some time and enjoy the printed word.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 11:17 AM   #17
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I saw the film before I read the book and now I am a huge fan!
When I went to the cinema before LOTR came out and saw it advertised I thought I really don't want to see that and now I'm
obsessed with it.
Thinking about it I just think how could I ever have thought that because it is the best ever film/book ever and nothing else can ever beat it.
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 01:22 PM   #18
Elvet
Elven Warrior

The only negative thing I can see about seeing the movie first is that it gives you fixed visuals. A place you create in your mind's eye from a written description is far more wonderful and imaginative. Each of us has our own vision of Isenguard - for example. Everytime I read about Aragorn now, I see Viggo Mortensen ( not that that's a bad thing). I would think that the visual impact of the movie was a reflection of Peter Jackson's version of Middle-earth. It would be difficult to read the books for the first time and not see things his way.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:34 PM   #19
azalea
Long lost mooter

I completely agree w/ that (including the part about Aragorn ).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 04:06 PM   #20
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvet
The only negative thing I can see about seeing the movie first is that it gives you fixed visuals. A place you create in your mind's eye from a written description is far more wonderful and imaginative. Each of us has our own vision of Isenguard - for example. Everytime I read about Aragorn now, I see Viggo Mortensen ( not that that's a bad thing). I would think that the visual impact of the movie was a reflection of Peter Jackson's version of Middle-earth. It would be difficult to read the books for the first time and not see things his way.
*stamp*read and approved *stamp*

Nice avatar by the way