Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2002, 12:01 AM   #1
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
An oldy but good...

Fiddler on the roof. Anybody seen any old musicals lately? I LOVE those. VEDDY VEDDY Good. But FOTR(hey wait a sec!) is the absolute favorite!
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 07:42 AM   #2
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

I love musicals... I believe I have seen Fiddler on the Roof but some time ago. My favorite musical would have to be Oklahoma... it's great. Followed by My Fair Lady and The Sound Of Music.

¿Which came first... the chicken or the egg?

¿How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
elf_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 09:00 PM   #3
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

musicals
Old 04-23-2002, 11:04 PM   #4
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

The Music Man is fun to watch, and don't forget West Side Story!
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 11:16 PM   #5
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

The Sound of Music is the only musical that I've watched all the way through, but I was at an honor band that played a Broadway Spectacular. It had "Hello Dolly!" from Hello Dolly!, "What I Did For Love" from A Chorus Line, "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof, "Tomorrow" from Annie, and "Mame" from Mame. After the honor band, I kinda went on a showtune kick and downloaded all those and "Oklahoma" and "Memory" from Cats. It was pretty cool.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 06:12 PM   #6
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

once again....
musicals?!?!
Old 04-24-2002, 07:53 PM   #7
azalea
Long lost mooter

Camelot is a good one.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 09:54 PM   #8
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by cee2lee2
The Music Man is fun to watch, and don't forget West Side Story!
I love the Music Man!!! Great movie!

Old 04-24-2002, 10:58 PM   #9
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I think the Music Man's cute. It's a sweet movie. But NOTHING compared to Fiddler on the Roof. Or Les Misrables. Saw THAT last one on stage in SLC and WHOA what a tear jerker. WOOOOO!
Um the King and I is a really good movie too. And it's a true story too. Anna changed the WHOLE country of Siam to the right abouts an' tha's a fact. VERY good movie. Sound of Music is ok I guess. Maybe because I've seen it so many times an' all.
Yes Tar Elendil Musicals. What's wrong with them?They're good and the songs are SO much fun to sing along to.
*walks out of the room singing..." If I were a rich man....
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 12:41 AM   #10
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Fiddler on the Roof is a masterpiece... The French Connection is the definitive cop classic, but Fiddler really should have taken the Best Picture Oscar that year. But I think the musical that tops them all is West Side Story - the perfect combination of great performances, great writing by Ernest Lehman, stunning choreography and camera work, superb music, and just an emotional power and passion that surpasses anything Shakespeare ever had to offer in Romeo and Juliet.

However, because of its sheer darkness, West Side Story isn't the one that entertains me the most. It's probably what I'd call the "best" but isn't my "favourite".

My recommendations include:

Singin' in the Rain - no matter how depressed I am, watching it makes me happy again. Not the "best" cinematic achievement ever by a long shot, but one of my best-loved films.

Moulin Rouge! - Spectacular Spectacular. My second-favourite film of the past year or two, behind Fellowship.

The Wizard of Oz - the eternal children's classic. Looks dated nowadays, but only to those who refuse to let the child inside go free.

The Sound of Music - is there anything original I can say about it? Just watch it, and if nobody's looking, sing along.

Beauty and the Beast - my favourite in-house (i.e. not-Pixar) Disney film, and musically the best-written. Sure, it's cliché, but being based on a fairy-tale, like they could avoid that a whole lot. Certainly the best take on a cliché there is, in that case.

Also check out: My Fair Lady, Oliver!, Cabaret... if you want a song-and-dance classic that focuses on the dance, An American In Paris is essential as well.

One of my most hotly-anticipated films for the year is the film of Chicago... I've never seen it on Broadway, nor have I seen any of director Rob Marshall's other work (the made-for-TV remake of Annie, which won several Emmies) but man, it's about time there was a big new Broadway-to-screen adaptation.

I think Les Misérables would make an absolutely spectacular epic musical on film. I've seen it on stage and the music is wonderful, and the staging has a lot of potential for film (can you say "barricades"?) I heard there's a go-ahead for a made-for-TV version, and I think that would be a horrible mistake. It deserves a first-rate silver-screen treatment.

Tar-Elendil - I'd ask a question like, "how could you NOT love musicals?" but that would be pointless... so I'll just offer you my sincere condolences.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 02:16 PM   #11
azalea
Long lost mooter

I love Oliver!, I love The Sound of Music, and I also love Les Miserable. I saw it on stage in London and fell in love with it -- I bought the soundtrack as soon as I got home.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 06:09 PM   #12
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

ill stick to books and cds
Old 04-25-2002, 07:11 PM   #13
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Annie Get Your Gun!!!!!!! How can you leave that out? I love that play! I have the soundtrack.

Also Fiddler on the Roof is great, I've been working on "Sunrise, Sunset" in voice lessons. Wonderful song, but so sad..

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 10:08 PM   #14
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

I love the King and I!! I just watched it not too long ago. *begins to sing "Shall we dance?! 1, 2, 3,...."*

Old 04-26-2002, 01:20 AM   #15
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by elf_princess
I love the King and I!! I just watched it not too long ago. *begins to sing "Shall we dance?! 1, 2, 3,...."*
I like to grab my roomate and whirl her around the room while singing that song at the top of my lungs. This usually happens after we've both pulled all-nighters.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 09:53 AM   #16
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
I like to grab my roomate and whirl her around the room while singing that song at the top of my lungs. This usually happens after we've both pulled all-nighters.
lol... I have tried to do this before with one of my friends... sadly they had never seen the King and I. So they just gave me strange looks and assumed I was in another one of my moods...

Old 04-26-2002, 04:24 PM   #17
Glorious Glorfindel
Elven Warrior

'if i were a rich man, ya ba da ba da ba da ba da ba da ba da ba dee' tee hee! i love fiddler on the roof and all musicals! especially a chorus line!
but, annie get your gun? i havnt' heard of that one before! i love the squeeze song of the same title though! is that the same song or not?
of course, the sound of music is a classic, but it is not one of my favorites!
n e one seen the boys from syracuse, or pirates of penzance? i saw them once. i have seen cats like 7 times.
i hve seen west side story, such a good one! I LOVE THIS THREAD!
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

add a drop of lavander to milk.
leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
Glorious Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 11:13 PM   #18
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

It's about Annie Oakley, the sharpshooter of the 1800's. Believe it or not, she was a real woman! The play is amazing and I highly reccomend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. "Anything you can do, I can do better, I can do anything better than you!" "No you can't." "Yes I can." Aaaah, so much fun...

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 04:09 AM   #19
Imladris
Elven Warrior

There are so many musicals I like...eesh....eer...

The Sound of Music

Fiddler on the Roof

West Side Story

Singin' In the Rain

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (If you can call it a musical (watched it non-stop when I was very young)

On the Town

Oh yeah...and Annie

Last edited by Imladris : 04-27-2002 at 04:10 AM.
Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 04:45 PM   #20
Glorious Glorfindel
Elven Warrior

i was supposed to be going to see chitty chitty bang bang at the theatre until the car broke down or something. n e how....
chitty chitty bang bang chittty chitty bang bang we love you and oh chitty chitty bang bang sumthing sumthing. bang bang chitty chitty bang bang fa la la la la la. soo good, even if i don't know the words!
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

add a drop of lavander to milk.
leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
Glorious Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote