Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-14-2002, 03:37 PM   #1
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

R-rated version?????

Yesterday, on lordoftherings.net, I read that the special add-on addition of FoTR is likely to be rated "R". I don't know why, but this makes me slightly mad. I am not allowed to watch R-rated movies yet. I don't even know if I want to. Couldn't they think of a better way to portray the story than more gore that ups the rating? What about adding on Bombadil and the downs? Or more elvish songs? Or more history? Or SOMETHING!
Ha, before I mouth off too much, I'd better ask...

Does anyone have any more information about this? So I can maybe rest my mind or start complaining for a reason?
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 04:22 PM   #2
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

what is 'r' in england? a 15?

I wont mind that much cos i'll be allowwed to watch it but still, it is slightly stupid.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 04:39 PM   #3
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

that's because the super-special-edition DVD (the one in late Nov) has PJ's "dream cut" on it and that is what he would like the movie to have been if he didn't have to sorry about time. it's about four hours long. this would iclude the gifts scene but also it would include a lot more detail in some of the battle scenes, like Aragorn vs. Lurtz (I still like the OO;;;;; of Aragorn with the shield stuck in the tree he kind of looks funny but I digress...) and the general battle at Amon Hen

so that is why it is rated a bit higher... the original was a high PG-13 anyway so it probably wouldn't have taken much to pull it over the brink

talk to your parents, maybe they'll still let you see it because, after all, it's FotR!

I am in search of an MPEG version of the trailer... if anyone finds one, let me know!

Do not meddle in the affairs of females for they are PMS-ing and quick to batter.

"He fears you Aragorn, and what you may become"

Two Towers in 6 months!
Halley_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 06:30 PM   #4
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Haven't heard anything about it, but I'm 17 and I'm not worried. If you'll look at some of Peter Jackson's other movies, it's clear that he likes lots of gore. Bring on the battle scenes!

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 06:43 PM   #5
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Yeah, I was talking about this at another forum... Stupid.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 07:18 PM   #6
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by StrawberryIcecream
what is 'r' in england? a 15?

I wont mind that much cos i'll be allowwed to watch it but still, it is slightly stupid.
R means "under 17 not admitted w/out parent".
IMO, the books are violent anyway, I mean war is violent. But I would prefer to have more scenes from the book than extended battle scenes myself (the Old Forest and Old Man Willow, the scenes w/ Gildor, Barrow Downs, and more interaction between the hobbits as it was in the book at the beginning).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 11:24 PM   #7
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Whats wrong with seeing an r rated movie? I've seen about a dozen (give or take about one). *braces himself*

I mean the only reason it gets rated that is because of language,all of which you hear every day on tv, in school, etc; Nudity, well I guess parents have the right to censor their kids there. but you also see that everywhere nowadays, and violence. Some people can't stomache violence...but thats it. the three reasons.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 12:34 AM   #8
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I watch R rated movies all the time. Don't see what's wrong with it at all. Many of them are very good movies, and I wouldn't want to miss them.

I can see why people wouldn't want they're kids watching violence, especially since it tends to be glorified in action movies and such, but why sex and language? There's nothing wrong with sex; in fact, I think kids should learn about it earlier and understand it better. And language is just a representation of thought; one kind is as good as another.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 08:26 AM   #9
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quite honestly, the filmmakers could cut out a lot of the gratuitous sex and violence of most of the movies they make, and it wouldn't affect the storyline. A lot of older movies do an excellent job of portraying a violent situation w/out actually showing the gore. I don't really need to see the blood coming out to know what is happening and to be affected by it. A lot of older movies also show sex in a subtle way that is just as effective. In Gone With the Wind the scene where Rhett carries Scarlett up the stairs to the bedroom is one of the most sensual scenes I've seen and NOTHING is shown.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:56 AM   #10
elvenninnyhammer
Hobbit

i can watch "R", and i've wanted to see all cut-outs of lorien (spelling?). they also might have more gollum things. that is a bummer u can't watch "R" but they cut them out so the movie would be "PG-13". if i couldn't watch "R" i'd rather see lotr once then never see it
Old 04-15-2002, 11:19 AM   #11
Handmaiden of Yavanna
Elven Warrior

I hate gory movies (I nearly died in Gladiator ) But as long as it's not human gore i'm cool with it. I don't know but the orc gore, with them getting their heads chopped off and stuff didn't really effect me. I think it's because their blood is black and not red or something.
Anyway, I don't care about the rating, as long as it's about lotr and has Orlando Bloom in it, I'm seeing it. Plus its a book so my parents won't really care. If worse comes to worse I'll just have to watch it with them.
She wandered wayward for a time, from the gardens of the gods to climb the everlasting mountains free that look upon the outmost sea, and never wandered back but stayed softly singing from glade to glade.
Handmaiden of Yavanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 02:14 PM   #12
Lightice
Elven Warrior

R-rated movies rarely are really bad. I mean I've seen George Romereo's Dead-trilogy several times without feeling sick for a second (exept perhaps when guy was giggling insanely same time as his forehead was been torn off by a bunch of zombies in Day of the Dead but even that didn't take for long), and I was 12 when I saw one of them first time. Oh well, perhaps it's just that I don't get scared easily...
Gory movies are either fun or dull, depending on how they're made, but they've never been disgusting, repulsive or frightening to me...
Now I got urge to watch the Dead once again!
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 05:39 PM   #13
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

As a parent, I don't mind being forced to see the movie again!
Old 04-15-2002, 06:28 PM   #14
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

hopefully since it's LotR, i can watch it, either that or they won't notice.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:04 PM   #15
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Theoden

i think tolkien would want the gore in. when he wrote the battle scenes he wanted everyone that read them to realize the horror of war. showing the gore would, to me, would show even more the sacrifice of the fellowship to save middle earth from darkness -making the film more powerful. Just like a movie such as "saving private ryan." its just my opinion but if u dont agree with a version that has more gore and crap DONT WATCH IT!
Old 04-15-2002, 07:57 PM   #16
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I am over 18, so I can watch anything, yay! Anyway, who cares about the language, cause every kid know all the words?
The books are very violent, so if you have read them, you should be prepared. I mean, they actually count how many orcs they killed each. My actually Dad laughed when Aragorn chopped the head of the Urak-hai, so it doen't necessarily disturb. Tolkien was in WW1 I think, so I guess he didn't want to hide what war was really like - very violent.
Hey this is another thing to look forward too! I hope I can wait a few monthes for the special edition to come out and not buy the non-extended movie.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:20 PM   #17
Luaddual
Sapling

My parents will probably let me get it, but only because it's FotR, which my mom also loves, so she'll probably want to see the extra stuff, too.

I think in this case the violence is just a necessary part of the plot for making it more realistic. I'm glad they originally put it out as PG-13, though, because that might have turned my parents off to it right away. And besides, I've only seen two or three R-rated movies, and they were the worst movies I've ever seen! I'm sure that won't apply to FotR, though.

This all kind of raises another question: What will TTT and RotK be rated? They might come out as R from day one, although, again, I hope not.

Last edited by Luaddual : 04-15-2002 at 09:26 PM.
Luaddual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:15 PM   #18
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Violence I can deal with, swear words barely(makes me blush and do this dorky"Did he say what I think he said?" look on my face), sex NOPE! Nada ziiiiippppp!! Even in BOOKS I cant STAND it. SO I think that my parents would let me see the R whatisit.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 11:52 PM   #19
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Gollum Yesss, Precioussss, they rate it to highly, they doessssss...

It's weird... When I read the books, in the violent bits i can read along perfectly normally, and in movies i tend to pick a participant and cheer along, but it doesn't bother me at all unless it's really gross and considering I watch the X-files, my definition of 'gross' is rather strange. It's the language etc. that I'd be worried about, but if they rate it anywhere above Australian M15+ I can't see it.
Well, that's my little 2 cents(Australian )
Old 04-16-2002, 08:39 AM   #20
azalea
Long lost mooter

I don't think the language is going to be a prob. I think a parent who would let their child watch the X-Files and not LotR would be hypocritical, or at least not well enough informed. The parent should watch the movie first and then decide.