Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-07-2002, 02:22 PM   #1
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

Ent-daughts

the Ent-daughts made Pippin and Merry a little taller and bigger and I'm wonedering how much the movie will show

will they turn from halflings to three-quarters-lings? or even to the height of a short man?

I know that they are described in the books when Sam and Frodo see them as the size of children of about ten or so

of course they could ignore this detail altogether as well

I am in search of an MPEG version of the trailer... if anyone finds one, let me know!

Do not meddle in the affairs of females for they are PMS-ing and quick to batter.

"He fears you Aragorn, and what you may become"

Two Towers in 6 months!
Halley_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 02:35 PM   #2
Elf Girl
Lurker

I noticed in the movie that the hieght of the hobbits varied from scene to scene, so they probably don't have much control over that and will omit it.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 03:29 PM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

The size of the hobbits was done mostly by camera angles. Such as, if you hold the camera closer to Gandalf the hobbits will look small in proportion... minerature doubles and computers were used occasionly. I would imagine they will try to make the hobbits look bigger, but I don't know how it will work out.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 03:10 AM   #4
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I hope they add this effect to the film. I think it'd be fun.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 07:00 PM   #5
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

rogue no red hair yet? ( sorry i still think of you as rogue elf! i'll get the hang of the new name sooner or later)

anyways, i hope they leave it in, im already fretting my lil brain over the changes they have made already, what wih arwen at helms deep, new characters they need to support the new story, moving other things around like narsil and how aragorn will ge tit .. blah blah blah..
Old 04-08-2002, 07:59 PM   #6
Elf Girl
Lurker

He doesn't have Narsil yet? I thought it was quietly reforged and there would be a flashback of it later. Arwen will bring to Helms Deep, I suppose?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 08:15 PM   #7
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
He doesn't have Narsil yet? I thought it was quietly reforged and there would be a flashback of it later. Arwen will bring to Helms Deep, I suppose?
Grr... I hope not!

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 08:51 PM   #8
Darth Tater
The man

Where do you get this idea that Arwen's at Helm's Deep? This is just like the crazy reactions way back when, ppl thinking she was joining the fellowship as soon as they heard her role was expanded. Turned out to be about 10 minutes in the film! Yes, she apparently brings Aragorn teh sword, but I've heard nothign about fighting with him.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 09:42 PM   #9
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Whatever she does in TTT, I am quite intrigued by that scene of her lying on a boat in the water like Boromir in the trailer.

Does anyone have ideas or other info about it? It looks like a palantir vision or dream; probably Aragorn's?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 10:35 PM   #10
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
rogue no red hair yet? ( sorry i still think of you as rogue elf! i'll get the hang of the new name sooner or later)
No . . . I'm waiting 'til I'm completely sick of the blonde.

I am still Rogue Elf; that's what Men call me. Rána Eressëa is just the name those Elves started, and I happen to like it better (considering I'm not a full-blooded elf).

I wonder if they do do the Ent-draughts whether or not Merry and Pippin's hair will grow thicker and longer, as well as them getting a little taller. You think they'll add that to the film?
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 08:07 AM   #11
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
Whatever she does in TTT, I am quite intrigued by that scene of her lying on a boat in the water like Boromir in the trailer.
Nver seen that! Where did u see it?

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 08:16 AM   #12
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Nver seen that! Where did u see it?

At around 1:35 on the downloaded trailer.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 04-10-2002, 08:22 AM   #13
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa

No . . . I'm waiting 'til I'm completely sick of the blonde.

I am still Rogue Elf; that's what Men call me. Rána Eressëa is just the name those Elves started, and I happen to like it better (considering I'm not a full-blooded elf).

I wonder if they do do the Ent-draughts whether or not Merry and Pippin's hair will grow thicker and longer, as well as them getting a little taller. You think they'll add that to the film?
At least you're still RE. If that was different ppl could get confused. I think it'll be easier for them to show tham being taller since it will mean less xhanging of the camera angles. I think they should do it.

Maybe Arwen will die like Boromir...im sure many ppl wish it.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 11:46 PM   #14
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Didn't merry and pippin end up a little shorter than dwarves? I can see Jackson keeping this detail in, it's only a matter of camera angles, as said before, and prosthetics and stilts.

You know, it is incredible how Jackson got past what had for a long time been the assumption that midgets would have to play Hobbits in a live action LotR. Since, unlike hobbits, midgets aren't usually well-poportioned, it would have really taken from the flavor of the Hobbits to portray them so. The use of stilts and shooting from below was really effective and allowed regulat actors do the hobbit parts. Well done. I especially loved Gandalf's hands.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 03:03 PM   #15
kennebecc
Hobbit

Merry and Pippin

It's already been confirmed by both actors that the characters of Merry and Pippin will grow after drinking the Ent draught. I wouldn't be surprised to see their hair grow too.
kennebecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 05:23 PM   #16
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn

Does anyone have ideas or other info about it? It looks like a palantir vision or dream; probably Aragorn's?

Oooooh..... I like that idea.....

did anyone else notice in the trailer that he (Aragorn) was walking up to the statue that held the shards?

but yeah... that palantir vision thing is very very possible.... I like that theory, Arathorn... I like it alot

I am in search of an MPEG version of the trailer... if anyone finds one, let me know!

Do not meddle in the affairs of females for they are PMS-ing and quick to batter.

Two Towers in 6 months!
Old 04-11-2002, 08:53 PM   #17
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Oooh, thats a very cool idea!! Are we sure it is Aragorn at the statue, though? Its just a robed figure, I had assumed it was Arwen since the statue is in Rivendell, correct?
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 09:04 PM   #18
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

Ooh I didn't think of that... when I saw the figure I thought it was him because I believe that is when Gandalf is saying "He is afraid of you Aragorn" so I guess that made me think that (I've only seen it once so I don't know)

Two Towers in 6 months!
Old 04-11-2002, 09:47 PM   #19
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I wonder if we'll see any talking orcs. Grishnak(sp?), perhaps?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 04-11-2002, 10:21 PM   #20
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Talking orcs! I sure hope so!!!

As for the figure-approaching-statue, another reason I considered it to be Arwen is there is another shot of her looking up, and she has a cloak over her head....... but it is at a different section in the trailer so who knows...... AHHHHHHH the suspense is sooo torturous!!!
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote