Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-31-2002, 07:38 PM   #1
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

One little thing.....

I've been doign some thinking, and especially since I've read the books since I've seen the movies, there are some little things that they could've included without changing their adapted storyline

1) In Moria, when the Balrog finally showed itself, Legolas's breakdown (as someone put it in the "who is the most valiant" post in the books forum) whould've been perfect. Just show him get ready to shoot an orc or two and then bug-eyes, lower the bow, drop arrow then cut to the Balrog the way they first showed it in the movie.... perfect

2) when the hobbits get to Bree, the way the shoot it when they enter makes for the perfect angle to show Aragorn jumping over the gates but they didn't

I'll prolly think of more once I see the movie again

feel free to add your own little things (nothing major like the absense of Tom Bombadil or the gifts) just little things like the above

I am in search of an MPEG version of the trailer... if anyone finds one, let me know!

Do not meddle in the affairs of females for they are PMS-ing and quick to batter.

"He fears you Aragorn, and what you may become"

Two Towers in 6 months!
Halley_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 08:04 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

There are so many coulda shoulda woulda's when you know the source material. My favorite (series of) shot(s) in the movie is Boromir's breakdown after trying to get the ring from Frodo, and it's not at all how I would have filmed it.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 08:50 PM   #3
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

dude... I woulda had Boromir actually try to yank the chain from Frodo's neck but then Frodo slipped on the ring and scampered away I wouldn't've had hime actually punch Boromir like he did.... not very hobbitlike

I am in search of an MPEG version of the trailer... if anyone finds one, let me know!

Do not meddle in the affairs of females for they are PMS-ing and quick to batter.

Two Towers in 6 months!
Old 03-31-2002, 10:12 PM   #4
Darth Tater
The man

Goddamnit! Can we have one thread in this section that isn't about nitpicking? One thread where ppl appreciate the genius of this film rather then tearing it appart because it isn't word for word, frame for frame exactly the same as the book? Once again I say, how dull would that be! Oh, and they're different mediums! I feel like those two things are becoming my mantra. Geesh I'm about ready to go looking for a Tolkien forum where ppl actually know how to appreciate a wonderful thing when they see it, and don't bitch about every little thing!
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:35 PM   #5
TinuvielChild
Padawan

um, may i make a comment? in the thread i was in a little while ago, BeardofPants and jerseydevil appear to be the ONLY people in the thread that DON'T like the LotR movie! the rest of us are absolutely rabid with adoration and "Must See Again.." syndrome!

yeah..i just had to say that. ;D

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 01:02 AM   #6
Halley_Brandybuck
Elven Warrior

sorry, Tater... I was just making some observations

Two Towers in 6 months!
Old 04-01-2002, 01:37 AM   #7
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Observations are fine, but we do tend to pick apart the movie looking for stuff that could have been better. The way I see it, it's just a sign of how good it actually is, seeing as nothing is perfect, and we wouldn't even bother if it were really bad! But yes, I would have liked to see Legolas' 'breakdown.' But it wasn't there. Oh well, it was still a good movie.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 10:31 AM   #8
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

The point is that the next film is gonna take ages to get here. In the mean time we can only discuss the first one. The more you see it or think about it, the more you'll see things you like and things you didn't like. And the more the same things are pointed out. It's inevitable.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:44 AM   #9
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
Goddamnit! Can we have one thread in this section that isn't about nitpicking? One thread where ppl appreciate the genius of this film rather then tearing it appart because it isn't word for word, frame for frame exactly the same as the book? Once again I say, how dull would that be! Oh, and they're different mediums! I feel like those two things are becoming my mantra. Geesh I'm about ready to go looking for a Tolkien forum where ppl actually know how to appreciate a wonderful thing when they see it, and don't bitch about every little thing!

Well said Boiled Tater! Just what I was thinking. I'm not getting at any of you, it's just can't we accept it as what it is and face that if it werent for that movie, half of you wouldnt even have discovered Tolkien.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 03:56 PM   #10
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I would have as i had read the book and enjoyed it before the movie came out.
But i wouldn't have been as obsessed about it. I mean when i was reading the book i didn't want to learn Quenya (I'm on lesson 6 at the moment which i am really proud of since i only started the course a couple of days ago!) or download pictures of Elijah Wood or completly change my room into a Tolkien Haven.
I love the film...after all i have seen it 9 times!

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:38 PM   #11
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

I think the movie actually did pretty well, but I hear that Shelob is being left till RotK - Where is the stuff with Sam & Frodo & Gollum going to go, may I ask? Goll's just going to be some guy hanging in the shadows the whole time!
Anyway, I know this has been said before, and will be again, but I still think Glorfindel shoulda bleeping been there! Xenarwen stole Glorfi's glory, stole his role, and stole his BLEEPING HORSE!
Anyway, later.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:52 PM   #12
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I agree there are PLENTY threads already picking the living hades out of the film, and yet every time someone attempts to post a thread praising the finer points of the film, the same "usual suspects" pop up and tear this part or that part to bits because it doesn't match the mental picture they created while reading the books. Heck, even when stating from the outset a particular thread is started to thank the director who put together hte funding, the cast and the film, the PJ haters jump in and spoil the entire theme.

As far as I am concerned, PJ filmed LotR perfectly. Perfectly for HIS retelling of the story. As I have stated oh so many times before, YOU go out and secure 280 million dollars from investors and get them to risk it on a film which may very well have ended up appealing only to EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO's. THEN you can change this or that scene.

To me, Peter Jackson could not have done a better job. Now, whether I feel the same after leaving the theater Dec 19, 2004 after Return of the King and getting no Scouring of the Shire, is a matter for conjecture.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 12:08 AM   #13
Eruviel Greenleaf

I wouldn't say it was perfect, but people are right, we ought to stop picking it apart looking for errors--something I am guilty of. Anyway. Well, I'm trying to look at it this way: who cares about the little details, at least we have the film!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-02-2002, 02:02 AM   #14
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous

To me, Peter Jackson could not have done a better job. Now, whether I feel the same after leaving the theater Dec 19, 2004 after Return of the King and getting no Scouring of the Shire, is a matter for conjecture.
After seeing FOTR for 9 times on the big screen and the trailer many more times, I agree. It blows me away and pulls me back for more.

Speaking of nitpicking, I believe you meant 2003.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 05:44 PM   #15
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

PJ said he made the movie he wanted to see, not what everone thought it should be. This is the only way an artist can operate and get high quality results. Pj outdid himself! I read the trilogy when I was in high school back in 1972. It was the thrill of my junior year. I couldn't believe it when I read someone was going to attempt a movie after all these years. I have to go take my daughter to work, be back later.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 10:39 PM   #16
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

okay, it should have been 2003....dammit, I was tired!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 11:59 PM   #17
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

one little thing

When I went to the movie, it had been 30 years since I read the books. This worked well, I really enjoyed the movie and didn't nit pick over the details. Of course, I then went back and reread all the books and was so happy to escape to middle earth again. It's as wonderful as it ever was, and I certainly need to escape more now than I did as a carefree 16 year old. The TT trailer looks great, what is Arwen doing in that boat thing!
Old 05-03-2002, 12:31 AM   #18
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Forgot to welcome you Lizra!

I'm speculating that it may be a palantir vision or something that PJ has added to enhance Aragorn's character.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 12:40 AM   #19
Eruviel Greenleaf

Oh yeah, welcome to the moot, Lizra!

I realize I probably would not have read the books if it were not for the movie (I read it first, that's generally my rule about movies) so even if it had turned out to be terrible, I would be quite grateful for it anyway. Or at least I say I would have. . .

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-03-2002, 02:06 AM   #20
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Thank you Arathorn, Thank you Eruviel Greenleaf, I'm having a hard time doing this, I keep losing stuff. Somewhere in this moot I saw a complaint of the hollywood treatment. I felt a little of this with the ugliness of the orcs. I always pictured them as swarthy, brown, baboon arm things. Why such hideous, deformed, pus covered, slime monsters? I must admit, the scene with Saruman preening over the Urak Hai that killed Boromir (sob!) is very cool. I like where they paint themselves up with the white hand, sort of like native american warriors did. What's with all the quotes?