Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2002, 07:52 PM   #1
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Cultural Effects... have you noticed?

**I started to put this in the Star Wars thread, but realized this was much more appropriate...

I predicted last year that after 'Harry Potter', and especially FotR and Star Wars came out, that clothing styles/trends would take a turn towards "romantic" ideals in addition to the 70's styles that were about to become popular. Butterfly sleeves, gauzy materials, corset-shirts, long hair and detailed hair styles are becoming more desired, flowing skirts, more delicate shoes....

What other impacts have/will these movies have on society at large? And other observations/predictions?
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:10 PM   #2
Nibs
Head Hollara

*Nibs stares at the computer placed waist-level, his eyes intent upon the glowing box we call a monitor. His toes wiggle anxiously in his shoes, cleverly crafted into sandals with a pair of scissors and an insatiable desire for the bizarre. He glances down at his own attire and sees his bright yellow "Youth Conference 2001" shirt, knee-length shorts and then back at the monitor.*

Needless to say, I have little fashion sense, and much less fashion sensory perception. I don't really notice the general differences in attire, but think it's a very interesting point nonetheless.

I make a statement with my clothing. That statement is "I don't know."

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 09:20 PM   #3
Earenya
Elven Warrior

*Grins in admiration*

A totally respectable answer.
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 03-27-2002, 09:25 PM   #4
Nibs
Head Hollara

In admiration, even! I'm flattered.

Someone complimented my sandals between when I last posted and now... very cool.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 09:29 PM   #5
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

oh nibs

hahah that was great..

ive always dressed the same.. but.. i dunno the kids in my school aregoing for the "tottaly urban, painted on" chic.

only it don't look as good on them as the people in the magazimes..

kids round here are fat.

really it's a joy..

the black rubber on all the bouncing bellies makes me feel as if im at sea world.. esp. when they serve fish in the cafiteria
Old 03-27-2002, 09:32 PM   #6
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

After working in retail for two years, I see that styles have definately taken that turn. I was a little bummed when I started seeing other girls wearing long hair and braids. I've been doing my hair like that since I was 15 (hmmm, if you check the a/s/l thread, that would make it five years).

I don't know if I would chalk it up to HP, though. Bell sleeves were "in" in the 70s (weren't they? I dunno, I wasn't around then), and the retro-style that has been in for the last couple of years has spun off from that: Bell-bottoms (now called "flairs") and such.

I bought my long, flowy skirt a year and a half ago (no one else wanted them, so I waited til they got marked down really cheap! that satisfied my bargain hunter tendencies long enough for me to finish writing my check). The paragraph did have a point. For serious! It was to show that styles had been going this direction anyway. But that's only my opinion. (See my sig)

Also, if you check the front picture of the JCPenney spring/summer catalogue issued in 2000 (note: two years ago!), you'll see peasant blouses and flowy skirts. And JCPenney isn't a forrunner of fashion. they run in the middle of the pack: That's where all the money is.

What other impacts will the movie have? I predict many, many Hobbit costumes come Halloween. Little Frodos and such. Elves too, maybe, but mostly hobbits.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 09:57 PM   #7
Earenya
Elven Warrior

I agree w/ the 70's comment- they were quite popular and were destined to come back. I just think that the extra ruffly-look that has been added to them is a throwback to romantic styles- look at the SW previews! Amidala's dresses are GORGEOUS and very Romantic/Neo-Renaissancey... except the black dress, maybe that'll bring GothRenaissance into mainstream!

I cant wait till Halloween! Little hobbits at our doors!!
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 03-27-2002, 10:40 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

G'ah! We should be so lucky! I'd LOVE to dress up in white pant-suits like Leia, and Padme... but New Zealand is going through a kitsch 80s period, dag nab it! Off the shoulder, gauzy things alright. But, they're not doing the things that I really remember from the 80s ie blue eyeshadow, big hair, and shoulder pads!
Old 03-27-2002, 11:01 PM   #9
Liviaine
Elven Warrior

I have to wear a uniform, and I wear jeans on weekends, so there's no fashion trend at my school.

I'd like to be an elf for Halloween, but I won't be. I could make my own costume, though. I sew.
Liviaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:07 PM   #10
Feraway Hawkbriar
Elven Warrior

mmm...peasant-y shirts..I do like them lots, Been meaning to buy one or two( I've seen some nice ones on the Newport News website)...big fluffy sleevzes is nice ^_^
Feraway Hawkbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:11 PM   #11
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Fashion sense? Me? Half the time people tell me my clothes don't match! They look fine to me, though, I mean, since when did easter green not match with navy blue? *shrugs* Just don't get me started on perfectly straight long hair... *cringes* ...the blandness slays me!
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:16 PM   #12
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Goodness gracious...I've always been in love with medieval/ren stuff, but since I don't have much money, myself, I'm usually dressed up in what my grandma thinks is 'the latest fashion'. If this stuff becomes the 'in' thing, maybe I'll actually get to wear what I like

I am utterly in love with bell sleeves and corset tops.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:18 PM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Elf
Fashion sense? Me? Half the time people tell me my clothes don't match! They look fine to me, though, I mean, since when did easter green not match with navy blue? *shrugs* Just don't get me started on perfectly straight long hair... *cringes* ...the blandness slays me!
... Don't get me started on 80s perms... *shudder* ... I am ashamed to say, that I got one once!
Old 03-28-2002, 12:42 AM   #14
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Woohoo.
I like wearing flowing skirts and pretty sleeves and all that girly stuff. Can't wait 'til summer and I can wear skirts again. And peasant shirts and all that. It's too cold right now.
But...if it's because of a bunch of movies, and all those tomboys start catching on...I won't be different anymore. Maybe I should get some running shoes. haha!
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 01:41 AM   #15
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I was always hoping that capes would come back in fashion - but they haven't. I really want to be able to wear a cape - other than when I'm Dracula for Halloween.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-28-2002 at 01:42 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 01:50 AM   #16
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I don't care if they are in fashion or not.
I want one! I want a heavy winter cloak, preferably with a hood. I don't think there is anywhere I can buy one though.
I'd make one, but I bet the material would be very expensive as well.
I could wear it OVER my coat and be twice as warm.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 02:18 AM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I was always hoping that capes would come back in fashion - but they haven't. I really want to be able to wear a cape - other than when I'm Dracula for Halloween.
You should wear one anyway, and scare all the little kiddies!
Old 03-28-2002, 02:26 AM   #18
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

My zombie makeup is much better for that. I only do one side of the face for people though - so that way they can turn their heads if a kid is really scared. I used to want to be a special effects artist.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 03:15 AM   #19
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Definitely capes! with hoods. and boots, too!
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 12:33 PM   #20
Earenya
Elven Warrior

I agree; wear what you want! Capes are FUN! Ive always loved the hippy-ren look, and now its trendy (shudders in disbelief). But hey, we might as well enjoy it while its easy to buy the clothing; in 3 years it'll be a "new" look and we'll be unique again!
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!