Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2002, 06:57 PM   #1
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Wine and Cheese show

Yesterday I went to the Toronto Wine and Cheese Show. It features beverages and food from all over the world. I'm not a big beer fan ( unless its cut with Clamato or ginger beer). I did taste one that was really good - Belgian beer called Kasteel.
I also tried some mead from Scotland and a 28 yr old single malt scotch ( very smooth!) To counter act the effects of the alcohol, I tried a bunch of different foods - chicken mole and tamales (from Mexico), Swiss cheese fondue, fresh truffles on cheese, and caribou pate. All in all it was a good experience that I thought I'd like to share.
Old 03-24-2002, 08:15 PM   #2
aldesign
Elven Warrior

everyone seems really excited by this thread

why not post one asking about peoples interest in spark-plugs!
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 08:25 PM   #3
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Aldesign,
I'm am sorry I could not entertain you with a more exciting story.
I was mistaken to think I could use this forum to share something that I found interesting.
Old 03-24-2002, 08:35 PM   #4
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

awww, Elvet, don't let andy make you feel bad. They don't let him out of his cage very often, and he's alway really grouchy when he first logs in.

I, personally, found your post very interesting. I wonder if they have something like that in Vancouver? I guess it doesn't really matter, because I'm under contract not to drink alcohol until I graduate anyway. I guess I can stand to wait another three or four more years

What is chicken mole?
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 06:40 PM   #5
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

Ughhhhh... mole (Pronounced mo-lay) I hate mole. Nasssssssty mole. We hates it...yeah yeah you know.
I've tried Kasteel before and I didn't like that either. Too bitter for my taste. However I really like Guiness which is about as bitter as you can get, but that's just, as my friends call it, a nostalgic craving that I have; it always reminds me of Switzerland just like the smell of cigarette smoke always reminds me of London. Oh well.
I'd like to go to a wine tasting thing, I belive there are a few vineyards around... I need to have a field trip.
Crick, I was looking into Christian colleges and they not only forced thier veiws of not drinking, not smoking, be home by 10, blah blah, on me, I couldn't do any of that while I attened, BUT the true reason I never signed up was cause I couldn't have drank or smoked before i came either. I had to be completly drink and smoke and sex free for two years before I could even think of going to those schools. It was really short-sighted of them to do that I think. What do you think?
Old 03-27-2002, 12:28 AM   #6
crickhollow

there are a lot of Christian colleges out there that are pretty legalistic. You have to sift through them just like you have to sift through everything else. I have some friends at a Christian college right now that get demerits everytime they miss chapel (also, no dancing allowed of any kind). I've heard rumors that Moody Bible Institute has designated sides of the sidwalk for girls to walk on, and sides of the sidewalk for guys to walk on. I have no idea if this is true or not, but my point is that you were probably right to decide against a school whose rules were too rigid.

My school also has a community standards form that everyone who attends has to sign. It includes: No drinking (Personally, I believe that allowing students to drink, and to have them do so in moderation, w/out getting drunk would be a better Christian example, but I signed the standards, and I'll stick to them)
No smoking on campus. This is just a consideration to fellow students. One of the things I hated most about the college I attended last year was the haze of smoke that hung everywhere outside. You couldn't get away from it.
No school-sponsored dances. They have no problem with students going to community dances (my roomie goes swing dancing every sunday night, and there is a performing arts dance team that puts on a big, community-wide performance every year)
No sex outside of the bounds of marriage. This is a Biblical principle, and the school has every right to hold their students to this precept.
It is only while enrolled that the students are required to adhere to the university's requirements.

So, all that to say that I would agree that they were wrong to exclude anyone on the basis of prior activities. Also, "home before 10"? Did you say this was a college or an elementary school? :looks confused: Or were you just exaggerating?
Old 03-27-2002, 12:37 AM   #7
Nibs
Head Hollara

Heck, I go to one of those schools. We abstain from all that stuff. It's great. I was so appalled when I went down to Las Vegas and saw someone... SMOKING. I was flabbergasted. Then I noticed that I have been very desensitized and was more grateful for the school I attend.

Those rules aren't really bad... most of the students here actually want to adhere to them. Me included. It's great.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 12:44 AM   #8
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Hey Nibs, are you a Mormon? Not that it matters to me, I have some friends who are, adn they are great people.

Just wondering, because you go to BYU and all. I know, I know, you don't have to be Mormon, jusss wonderin'!

I'm considering applying for a Christian liberal arts college, but it's expensiiive!
Old 03-27-2002, 12:49 AM   #9
Nibs
Head Hollara

People are always to be so careful when asking if I'm Mormon... I find it funny, because they almost make it seem like an insult or something. Yes, I am a Mormon. But that's not the only reason I go here. It's very inexpensive compared to other schools. About fifteen hundred per semester. And I'm enamoured with the atmosphere and mystique around this area.

In conclusion, yes. Now, I find it very funny that I ended up posting on this thread at all because it has to do with alcohol and... well, we abstain from it.

Old 03-27-2002, 12:04 PM   #10
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

Crick,
No I wasn't exaggerating. The place I went to made everyone that attended there live on campus and therefore enforced curfews. Personally I don't want to pay to be put in prison.....
They gave me a T-shirt with thier logo and name on the front. If I ever go to bars, I wear it.
Everyone,
I thought that "It was for freedom that Christ has set us free, no longer to be subject to a yoke of slavery."
How is what they are doing freedom, how is it benificial. It's enforcing the law upon us like the Pharasees did. How about instead of caring what our blood-alcohol level is they enforce that all students should spend 10 hours a month at the local orphanage or the Good will - it would be for extra credit - , showing us what we should be doing rather then beating us up for what we should not be doing. Demonstrating Love rather then the Law.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:33 PM   #11
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Elvet, you are fortunate to be able to enjoy such flavorful fun. Wine and Cheese tastings are great fun. When I go, I usally find at least one wine or beer I really like. Then I go down to my local package store and pester them until they bring it in. These events can really open ones taste buds. Do recall the name of the single malt?

And in reguard to the theological implications that somehow emerged into your delightful thread ... seems to me I remember where Jesus turned the water into wine at a wedding. So I don't get all the hang ups... everything in moderation is the ticket, IMHO.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 05:54 PM   #12
Nibs
Head Hollara

I'm fairly sure that wine wasn't like the wine we (I mean you ) drink today... anyway, I'll leave you to your own devices.

Old 03-27-2002, 06:40 PM   #13
Pailan
Elven Warrior

The Romans made a very stout wine around that time as did most Med. peoples. The water wasn't very safe to drink (poor sewage systems and all) unless it came from a very deep well/spring. Alcoholic beverages and tea pretty much allowed cultures to survive and thrive. Sure the technology wasn't as percise then, yeilding beverages that varied quite wildly in taste and strength. I would think that the Son of God knew the deal. And saving the best for last...

I guess we'll all know the real deal sooner or later...

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 06:42 PM   #14
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

If you imply that thier wine was non-alcoholic then....

John 2:9They did so, and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

They had too much to drink. They got drunk. Same ol' fermented drink that Jesus made.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:43 PM   #15
Nibs
Head Hollara

Sorry I "spoiled" the thread (Get it? GET IT???). I'll take that back and leave herewith. We can have these discussions in the proper threads, if you wish.

Old 03-27-2002, 08:05 PM   #16
Earenya
Elven Warrior

This is a really interesting thread, and though it'll probably be shut down soon I just had to jump on the bandwagon (haha).

Quote:
How about instead of caring what our blood-alcohol level is they enforce that all students should spend 10 hours a month at the local orphanage or the Good will - it would be for extra credit - , showing us what we should be doing rather then beating us up for what we should not be doing. Demonstrating Love rather then the Law.
(Kyote Fields)

I think that is an interesting idea and would be an effective rule. I grew up in Catholic school (although I am not Catholic) and learned many sides of the "Christian debate" because of the multifaceted nature of this upbringing. I believe people need different things. I could rant on about my personal beliefs on the subject, but I'll wait- perhaps we can open another thread on these subjects?
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 08:19 PM   #17
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

I miss having a good Bree on a peice of slightly toasted bread. Mmmmmmm. I miss living in Paris.

Go for it Earenya!! I'm right behind you.

Last edited by Kyote Fields : 03-27-2002 at 08:31 PM.
Kyote Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 09:07 PM   #18
crickhollow

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyote Fields
Crick,
No I wasn't exaggerating. The place I went to made everyone that attended there live on campus and therefore enforced curfews. Personally I don't want to pay to be put in prison.....
They gave me a T-shirt with thier logo and name on the front. If I ever go to bars, I wear it.
Everyone,
I thought that "It was for freedom that Christ has set us free, no longer to be subject to a yoke of slavery."
How is what they are doing freedom, how is it benificial. It's enforcing the law upon us like the Pharasees did. How about instead of caring what our blood-alcohol level is they enforce that all students should spend 10 hours a month at the local orphanage or the Good will - it would be for extra credit - , showing us what we should be doing rather then beating us up for what we should not be doing. Demonstrating Love rather then the Law.
As to the first, I'm glad you can have some fun from the experience.
Secondly, bear in mind that while you had been out of highschool and doing other things (you said you were in YWAM, right?), some kids are seventeen years old, and coming straight from living at home w/ mom and dad to being in college, on their own, etc. There is a need for some boundaries. Transfer students like myself are sort of in the same boat as you were--new to the university, but older than the average incoming student. So, I jump through the hoops to please administration (much like entmoot, come to think of it), and try to have a positive attitude (yeah right, my roomates would laugh to see me write that).

Thirdly, enforced acts of love, eh? wouldn't that still be called...oh gee, what do we call those hypocrites and pharisees? What was that word again? Oh yeah. LEGALISTIC!!!!!!!!!
The school can schedule those events, and ask for volunteers, but come on. that's just as bad as a demerit system for missing chapel, or enforced lights out times.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:56 AM   #19
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

So again I am misinterpreted. To explain I will qoute myself.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyote Fields
It would be for extra credit. Maybe I used "enforced" badly, but as I was writting the sentence I was thinking what you thought, about legalism(by the way I talked about legalism in the first sentence and disbanded it) so that's why I wrote down - it would be for extra credit. So it would not be mandatory acts of love - it would be for extra credit, which is still manipulative but I can't think of a better solution off the cuff.
And I believe that the best way to get kids to act like adults is to treat them like adults. How did I grow up so (well) quickly was cause when I went to YWAM we, the group I was with, met together and the leader asked us what rules we wanted to have on smoking, drinking, special relationships, ect. He treated us like adults though most of us were 18 and then we acted like adults.
Old 03-28-2002, 04:35 PM   #20
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvet
Aldesign,
I'm am sorry I could not entertain you with a more exciting story.
I was mistaken to think I could use this forum to share something that I found interesting.

Sorry Elvet,
i thought it was obvious i was joking,
Just i found this as a New-topic and it was already at the bottom of the GeneralMSG forum page1. with no-replies
so i thought i'd bump it up to the top.

hehe

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote