Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2002, 06:50 PM   #1
galadriel
Elven Warrior

math and Elven populations

This is a ridiculous question, but it has been bothering me.

In Middle-earth, Elves have two primary means of population control: going over Sea, and the occasional war. However, neither of these are applicable to their relatives in the West. Sure, there was the first Kinslaying and casualities from the war that destroyed Beleriand (Finarfin and Ingwe led their people to fight, remember?) but since then, everything's been grand.

Take, for instance, a population of 100 elves. Assuming that, say, 80% of them get married (I have no idea if this is a reasonable estimation, but it works), and each couple has an average of two children, you have a net total of 80 children. In turn, 80% of the new generation gets married and has children. The numbers get weird from there, since there can be intermarriage between generations, but my point is, this process would repeat iself endlessly. Eventually, wouldn't even a slow rate of reproduction create quite a large population?

Since there is not just 100 elves in the West, but thousands, wouldn't they start running into overpopulation problems?

Just how big is Aman, anyway?

No need to take my question over-seriously. Any insight would be interesting, though.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 07:02 PM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The average elven family will only have one child. Although I suppose two would work nicely.

So it would go (by generation)

You'd end up with 481 elves.

However, what if someone from generation 1 married someone from geteration 4? And what about the fact that you can't inbreed?

I don't think it's really applicable.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:15 PM   #3
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Elves don't breed in times of conflict and war, and I can only guess that they only reproduce every century or so.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 07:42 PM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Or less...
Old 03-20-2002, 08:20 PM   #5
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Where do you get that about having one child, Shannon? In Laws and Customs Among the Eldar it's said that an Elvish family has four children "as often as not".

Somewhere there's something about Elves reproducing less and less as the Ages go by in Middle-earth, that may be true of the Elves of Aman also.

This may be covered in Michael Martinez's "Elves by the numbers", which can be read on Suite101.com..
Old 03-20-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

One elf plus one elf equals one elf.

One child per elven family would be a certain negative population growth, since only one of the male/female parental pair will be replaced. That would make the Elves a non-sustainable population and a dying race very quickly.

You have a large variation, I imagine, in the number of elven offspring. Finwe, Feanor's pop, had three kids (one by Miriel and two by Indis). Feanor had seven kids altogether. Fingolfin had three, and Finarfin had five. Albeit not as profound in reproduction as the ready trigger of long term fecundity, the randy Mr. Samwise Gamgee, Elves still were capable of multiple children beyond the twain.

The Elves simply could not have sustained a population had their procreation been limited to singular issue, even considering their very low death rate [although this rose considerably during times of war].
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 08:36 PM   #7
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Feanor had seven kids altogether.
Tolkien says in one of his essays that Feanor holds the record for most children, out of all the Elves.
Old 03-20-2002, 08:40 PM   #8
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well then I am sure there were at least a few elven families with six kids, though most probably not commonly. Imagine 2-4 was more the norm. I'm sure there's a dusty Tolkien essay out there that says I'm wrong.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:05 PM   #9
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Maybe, but I don't know of one. I was just contributing comment, it certainly doesn't make what you say untrue.
Old 03-20-2002, 09:22 PM   #10
Nibs
Head Hollara

Interesting thought, but it's a really strange comparison because they're immortal. In effect, there would be no real need for the term "generations." I'd start thinking about it, but my head would hurt.

Is "randy" a real word, bropous?

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 10:06 PM   #11
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

"Randy" is used by the British for "lustful".

Wayfarer, Lelondul, or other visitors from the Vault, if you say anything I will hurt you.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:51 PM   #12
mirrille
Elven Warrior

I always kind of wondered about the population dynamics going on with the elves. I'd imagine they just breed reeeaaallly slooooowllly.
But if it's true that alot of them only die in war, and there's no breeding in wars, then their population has probably gone through quite a few bottlenecks. Ahhh! Inbreeding inbreeding everywhere! Not good. Inbreeding also results in lower viability (fewer offspring) and a less vigourous population, so then the population growth slows down even again. So these things probably help to suppress the population.
Hmmmm...Interesting.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 02:30 AM   #13
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
Elves don't breed in times of conflict and war, and I can only guess that they only reproduce every century or so.

I think that your statement is non-sequitor

for it was asked of the elves aman i believe

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 01:02 PM   #14
The White Rider
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille
Ahhh! Inbreeding inbreeding everywhere! Not good. Inbreeding also results in lower viability (fewer offspring) and a less vigourous population, so then the population growth slows down even again. So these things probably help to suppress the population.
But problems from inbreeding don't count because Elves don't have sickness and disease [ AHHH... No disease, no colds, no sickness, that's the life... ]. Also, they won't marry to someone within 4 relations/generations, following the fact Maeglin wanted to marry Irdril, yet they were too closly related being cousins (Idril's father was Turgon who was Maeglin's uncle).
Old 03-21-2002, 01:06 PM   #15
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

"Elves don't breed in times of conflict and war..."

Huh? EVERYBODY breeds during times of war....

Seems to me the time when the elven lasses would have the greatest chance of being "with elf", so to speak, is in times of warfare.

"Baby, I'm leaving in the morning for the great battle to the North. I may never return." Gee, what did they do that night.....play tiddlywinks?

Precisely the reason for the baby boom starting in World War Two.....
Old 03-21-2002, 06:25 PM   #16
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

the non conflict breeding elves is in one the books that you would give less support for not being directly mentioned in LOTR or the HOB

I think it is in one of the HoME

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 07:11 PM   #17
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
"Baby, I'm leaving in the morning for the great battle to the North. I may never return." Gee, what did they do that night.....play tiddlywinks?
Hey bropous! They're young ears in the room! We are not all old married men like you!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 07:23 PM   #18
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Ok... I seem to have mistated something.

The average elvish family would have had only one child at a time. Since the child would move out after a few hundered years, they might have another about that often.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:55 PM   #19
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

oh come on, emplynx, you innocents hear far worse in the first hour of prime time network TV......LOL

Okay. The night before a battle, mommy elfses and daddy elfses have two choices: They can use the local pay palantir to phone up the stork to drop a new bundle of joy in three trimesters, or they can find the nearest cabbage patch and start looking under cabbage leaves.

Better?
Old 03-21-2002, 08:49 PM   #20
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I don't think you would have to worry too much about inbreeding, because we're not actually talking about a population of one hundred, but rather thousands. It's just like human reproduction, except much slower, and all of your ancestors stay around.
As for the whole no-reproduction-during-war thing, they tried to *avoid* having kids during dangerous times. Obviously they didn't always succeed....

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote