Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2002, 10:24 AM   #1
Laurenis
Enting

kinda sad...

i know i could (and am) startin to read it again, but a couple of weeks ago i finish LoTR for the first time and i really am kinda sad that its over. i guess when i read it over its not gonna have the same excitement. i dunno. oh it is kinda sad...
'Therefore he willed that the hearts of Men should seek beyond the world and should find no rest therein; but they should have a virtue to shape their life, amid the powers and chances of the world, beyond the Music of the Ainur, which is as fate to all things else; and of their operation everything should be, in form and deed, completed, and the world fulfilled unto the last and smallest.'
Laurenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 10:45 AM   #2
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

You will discover that LOTR's beauty is that it gets better every read.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:46 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

I know how you feel, I felt the same. But somehow that didn't stop me from reading it again and again and again <counts, yes four, that was it> And each time you read it again, new details will emerge, and you'll find that you completely missed out some parts the first round. It'll be worth it. Although it might be a good idea to wait just a little longer before you reread it.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 01:32 PM   #4
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Well, I have one solution for making it seem like it didn't end: read the first chapter of the book (or however far it takes for you to understand what's happening), then skip to the back and read the very last, then continue reading from the first chapter. This is how I usually like to read books, because it just somehow feels like it isn't over. It's probably just me, but it seems like there's more when I twist the order of reading

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 03-16-2002 at 01:33 PM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 01:42 PM   #5
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I'm almost done going through LotR for the second time, and it's great, but I miss the suspense, and I didn't cry at the end of TTT this time around. But it was still great to read again, and I was so sad when I finished it the first time! Fortunately, there is more to read by Tolkien. And reading it again is good, you pick up stuff you missed the first time.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 05:21 PM   #6
Laurenis
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Elf
Well, I have one solution for making it seem like it didn't end: read the first chapter of the book (or however far it takes for you to understand what's happening), then skip to the back and read the very last, then continue reading from the first chapter. This is how I usually like to read books, because it just somehow feels like it isn't over. It's probably just me, but it seems like there's more when I twist the order of reading
lol well sounds kinda confusing but i'll try it Rogue!!
'Therefore he willed that the hearts of Men should seek beyond the world and should find no rest therein; but they should have a virtue to shape their life, amid the powers and chances of the world, beyond the Music of the Ainur, which is as fate to all things else; and of their operation everything should be, in form and deed, completed, and the world fulfilled unto the last and smallest.'
Old 03-16-2002, 05:24 PM   #7
Vardasoroniel
Enting

Strider Re: kinda sad...

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurenis
i know i could (and am) startin to read it again, but a couple of weeks ago i finish LoTR for the first time and i really am kinda sad that its over. i guess when i read it over its not gonna have the same excitement. i dunno. oh it is kinda sad...
actually, the more times you read it, the more excited you will get knowing the great scenes that are coming up.

also, each time you read it, you find all sorts of things and different layerings that also will add to your enjoyment.

it never grows old and tiresome!!
Old 03-16-2002, 05:36 PM   #8
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Laurenis, I would suggest that you read the stories in the appendixes. And after that has whetted your interest in Tolkien's back stories, lose yourself in the Silmarillion. Then there's the whole History of ME series and then you can always re-read LotR. Markedel is right, LotR really rewards repeated readings....

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 05:57 PM   #9
Laurenis
Enting

yeh i am actually starting Sil. its so good but a harder read than LotR but i'm struggling through it... yeh ive read a bit of the appendixes; theyre really helpful actually and i read those time line things of what happened after the parting and the beginning of the fourth age and stuff... oh yeh and ive got Unfinished Tales which im browing through but i think it'll be easier when ive read Sil, but i can still read the stuff about 3rd age.
Old 03-16-2002, 05:58 PM   #10
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I still cry at certain points of LOTR even though i know what happens. I miss loads of things out and even though the book is very long, it still manages to keep my occupied reading it and want to read more of it...there are very few books that are of that length that i could say the same for. (Did that make sense?)
Points where i usually start feeling like im gonna cry;
When Pippin is in battle "and his eyes saw no more"
When Sam leaves Frodo for dead
When Sam saves Frodo
The departure to the grey Havens

any more?

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 05:58 PM   #11
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

I know what you mean, but I still cry each time, each scene is still exciting. In fact, I appreciated it more each time I read it. Now I'm starting The Silmarillion: new adventures in reading!
So don't be too sad. If you're anything like me, you'll still cry, you'll still laugh, and you'll still love it with the same ardor as when you first did.
~Rosie~
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 06:02 PM   #12
Laurenis
Enting

oh im pretty sure ill cry again and again and again and again...
the amount that i did at the end... i never have so much at another book or film or... oh it was so sad! yeh Erendil i think i cried all those times too... i never thought that a book could have that effect on me! its mad!!
Old 03-16-2002, 08:13 PM   #13
aldesign
Elven Warrior

dont forget to cry when Boromir dies,

that gets me, :'(

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 10:42 PM   #14
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I always get sad when I finish a good book. I was sad when I finished the Hobbit, LOTR, and The Silmarillion, but the books are just as good (in some ways even better) the next time through.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 02:25 AM   #15
Earenya
Elven Warrior

I know exactly what you mean- I nearly cried when I finished, I'd been tearing through the book and all of a sudden, I was done. But..... there are other stories. Ive never read The Sil, but I think Im gonna give it a go.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 03:48 PM   #16
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ërendil

that was the part where i cried the most!!i read it and i was so shocked!i actually flicked forward a couple of chapters just to check that he wasn't dead because i couldn't believe it!

i was speeding through the book but by the end i was so upset that it was nearly over that i slowed right down taking in every word one by one. when i'd finished it i felt so numb. then i started reading the Sil. then UT and haven't stopped since.am definetly going to reread lotr when i've finished UT though.
Old 03-17-2002, 05:22 PM   #17
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Ërendil

Points where i usually start feeling like im gonna cry;
That part was so sad! For a moment I thought he was dead, but then I had this feeling that he wasn't. I almost cried, though.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 07:29 PM   #18
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Earenya
I know exactly what you mean- I nearly cried when I finished, I'd been tearing through the book and all of a sudden, I was done. But..... there are other stories. Ive never read The Sil, but I think Im gonna give it a go.
Me too, I just got it out of the library. Now that I think about, I'm probably going to have to renew it about thirty times...
~Rosie~
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 09:28 PM   #19
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

All I can say is that yes, the rush, the excitement, the absolute thrill of the first read that sucks you in and keeps you enthralled will be gone.

But you'll find that, as time goes on, you'll enjoy reading and re-reading tolkien as much as you did the first time, if in a slightly different way. The thrill may be gone, but you'l settle down into a more mature love of tolkein's work.

And that's one change which I think is for the better. Wh cares what the elves say? ]: )
Old 03-19-2002, 05:22 PM   #20
maelyn
Hobbit

i just finished the trilogy (for the first time) and i feel totally depressed! i don't want it to be over...is there help for people like us?

some kind of support group for lotr junkies?
maelyn is offline   Reply With Quote