Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-14-2002, 10:23 AM   #1
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Bows (and other weponry)

I do really want to have a bow. A real, nice longbow, not the new- fashioned ****ty thing. I am wondering:
1) what kind of bow did Legolas have?
2) do you know where possible may one find normal old-fashioned bows?
Old 03-14-2002, 12:45 PM   #2
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Fiest question, have you ever done archery in your life?

Well, if not then you can't start on a longbow thses days. I can send you a list of places you can find bows and clubs if you like. Also they are very expensive so only buy it it if you're serius about using it!

Im buying my first bow this weekend!!!!!!!WOOO!!!
Im excited, but it's gona cost me over £200!
Damn, all my pay for the next two months gone...no more pub...i may get withdawl sympotoms. Anyway, if you want a list i can do that for you.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:53 PM   #3
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

From the pictures of Legolas with his bow, I can definitely say that he did not use a longbow. English longbows were up to six feet in length, or slightly taller than the height of the archer, and Legolas's bow does not look longer than a meter. The elegant curvature of the bow is known as a recurve, and longbows did not recurve. They were made of yew. The stave was cut in the shape of a "D" so that a layer of sapwood was left on the flattened side of the D. Legolas's bow was also clearly not a compound bow. The prop is probably fiberglass, which is a much more superior bow material than wood. Is it even used in "authentic" replica bows.

This site below offers authentic replica Hungarian horsebows. www.horsebows.com/horsebows.html

Archery is great fun. I havn't shot since college. I would recommend you get some professional instruction.

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 03-14-2002 at 12:56 PM.
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:17 PM   #4
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Welcome to the Moot, Elfmaster XK.

barrelrider110 is correct, Legolas did not use an english longbow. It is far too short for that. However, if Legolas used any type of recognizable bow technology, it is surely a composite bow he was using. It certainly was a "four-curved" bow.

From the book, "Weapons: An International Encylopedia from 5000BC to 2000AD", The Diagram Group, St. Martin's Press, New York, 1990, page 94:

1. SIMPLE BOWS (or SELF BOWS): are those made from a single material, usually wood.

2. BACKED BOWS: A bow may be "backed" with a layer of resilient material - perhaps another kind of wood, or more often a layer of sinew - to strengthen the bow-stave.

3. LAMINATED BOWS: These are made up from three or more layers of similar material - usually wood.

4. COMPOSITE BOWS: These are made from three basic layers of dissimilar materials - most commonly wood, horn and sinew.

NOTE: The term "compound bows" is sometimes used. It includes both the laminated and composite types.

The reason I hold that Legolas was using a composite bow is that it is the type bow with the longest range (Turkish composite bows had a range of 660 yards {600m} with special flight arrows and 440 yards {400m} with war arrows). Although not included in the film, Legolas shoots one of the Nazgul's pterodactyl-thingies over the Anduin in mid-flight. To have the punching power necessary at altitude required much more than a simple bow, or even a laminated one.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 01:47 PM   #5
barrelrider110

You are correct Bropous. I was referring to a compound bow and yes they do have superior range. I will try to insert the image I was referring to. There doesn't appear to be any discernable layers in the bow, which lead me to believe that it was not a composite. Since it was a gift of Galadriel, I assumed it was not of conventional construction.
[IMG]http://www.theonering.net/movie/s****book/large/921[/IMG]

P.S. A belated welcome to the Moot, Elfmaster XK

Fear Complacency!
Old 03-14-2002, 02:23 PM   #6
Elfmaster XK

Thanx for the welcome. You people obviously know more than me, but im still a beginner at the sporrt and only quoted what my instructor seaid to me. By the way, that changing colour thing under your name Bropous is very cool.

Secondly Hoyt USA has a good reputation if your in the US, i forgot to check.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 03-14-2002, 08:41 PM   #7
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

On Legolas' bow:
Quote:
To Legolas she gave a bow such as the Galadhrim used, longer and stouter than the bows of Mirkwood, and strung with a string of elf-hair. With it went a quiver of arrows.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:22 PM   #8
johnnyrod
Elven Warrior

I admit to knowing **** about archery, but wouldn't a longbow at around 6' be a bit big for carrying on a long journey? It sounds more like, in today's terms, a rifle than a pistol.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 02:09 AM   #9
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Yeah, I don't think a longbow would make sense for Legolas, even the one Galadriel gave him. I hardly know anything about archery, but started to learn at camp quite a few years ago, and it's something I've always been interested in. I want to start again! Thanks for posting that site, barrelrider! I know I'll have fun looking at that. . .
I have a bow, it's a simple fiberglass (not covered in wood) one, but it's nice, and I really like it! It's part of my weapons collection that I'm starting. But I really want an old-fashioned bow, like the one Legolas had.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 10:07 AM   #10
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Thank you for all your help. To answer your questions:
Firstly, yes, I have done archery. I have a home-made bow, made from simple tree branch, tied with a rope. Not very good, but hard to pull, so nice for practising.
Secondly, I am asking this because here in Lithuania, all weapon selling is strictly controlled by the government, and people do not wish to sell cold weponry and old weapons. The only weapons selling shop I know sells only pistols and shotguns.
Thirdly, I am not very much knowing about bow types, so don't blame me for swriting 'longbow'. This ofcourse refers to any bow Legolas might have used.
And finally, I have also started a weapon collection. Already have 2 fine daggers (bought in Prag).

Welcome to the Moot, Elfmaster XK
Old 03-15-2002, 02:16 PM   #11
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

shooting a recurve or longbow takes a lot of stamina. long ago i competed in contests( i live in ms and bowhunting is big here). i would recommend getting an armpad too, because the inside of your arm is gonna take a beating from the string. it is rewarding to be able to shoot a bow accurately without sights or modern technology.

good luck
Old 03-15-2002, 04:12 PM   #12
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

My bow is recurved. . .it's hard to draw back, but easy to string, as I've been practising. But I so want to take up archery. Maybe whatever college I go to next year will have archery. . .

Legolas-you have a weapons collection too? That's really cool! Medieval faires are great places to get stuff. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 05:02 PM   #13
Elfmaster XK

I want to start a collection coz it'd be so fun, my family think im a psyco though and are not too happy aboiut the getting a bow thing but still, do i care?
Anyone like old fashioned or ancient style knifes? Of course. Check out : http://www.artandartifact.com/

(BTW i couldnt work out how to make that a link coz im stupid ith compyters so sorry, but the site is cool)

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 03-15-2002, 05:03 PM   #14
Elfmaster XK

Oh wow! I did make a link. Yay!

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 03-15-2002, 05:10 PM   #15
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

Wow- im impressed with all the knowlede about bows that u lot have. I agree about Legolas not having a long bow buit that is about as far and my knowledge of bows reaches.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 10:20 AM   #16
Elfmaster XK

WOOOOOOHOOOO!!! I have a bow!!! Got it on saturday. It's ace. I love it already. I am going to get obsessed with it i can see now. It's a recurve like Legolas' but it's not quite as pretty. In fact its fairly simple, but YAY!!!!

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 03-19-2002, 11:09 AM   #17
barrelrider110

Congratulations, Elfmaster XK. If you havn't purchased an armpad and glove (or fingertab) I would highly recommend them.
Enjoy your bow, play safe!

Fear Complacency!
Old 03-19-2002, 11:14 AM   #18
Elfmaster XK

Yes, i did buy those things. And for your information i also bought a set of arrows. But thank you for your concern, i have felt the pain of the string hitting my arm...the memory returns...i still have a bruise. Nevermind, iv'e hadd worse. But i will enjoy it.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 03-19-2002, 12:43 PM   #19
barrelrider110

Arrows! *smacks palm squarely on forhead*
Good thing you've got some hobbit sense. Put a picture of an ugly old Orkie on the target and you'll be a real elven archer!
Quote:
Damn, all my pay for the next two months gone...no more pub...i may get withdawl sympotoms.
If I didn't live on the other side of the ocean I'd buy you a pint.

Fear Complacency!
Old 03-19-2002, 07:42 PM   #20
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I want a sword.

I have a nice design, now I just need the 3000 dollars to pay a smith...

I also want a gandalf-type staff.